National Stadium Not Needed

Lonan3

In Tynwald yesterday, the Chief Minister was asked whether the island ought to have a stadium for sporting and entertainment events. It was Peter Karran who asked the question (now there's a surprise!) on the grounds that the Villa Marina and the National Sports Centre had limited capacities for certain types of event.

The reply was, IMO, a load of waffle about how wonderful the facilities are at the NSC and the Villa and what a wonderful job the government's done in providing them - with a hint that anything more is up to private enterprise.

Personally, I've long been an advocate of a large indoor facility, with a reasonable spectator area for sporting events that could also be used for other forms of entertainment. Cetainly, I can't agree that the NSC and Villa complex - excellent though they may be - cover all possiible needs.

For what sort of things?

We hosted the Island games a few years ago, and I went to see a mate run at the NSC. It was busy, but never totally packed. I know it's hard to book a 5-a-side pitch or squash court (especially since Summerland and Mt Murray shut) so we could probably do with something indoor, but I don't see how we'd benefit from a stadium.

Yeah, the 5-a-side pitches are getting very difficult to book.

Yesterday, Tynwald spent hours debating whether a 999 year lease should be given to a consortium (or whatever it is) to build a £70M hotel complex down at the bus station. Apparently it was going to be a 99 year lease when original tenders were asked but changed *ahem* at some time, to a 999 year lease after the winning tender had been accepted.

Some were up in arms about this, but mainly those who worked to submit tenders on a 99 year lease. There were advocates being quoted everywhere.

The Attorney General did his bit and explained how a 999 year lease is right on and so much more desirable than a 99 year lease.

It seems that the Government have done a bit of swickery in someone's favour perhaps.

What - ideally - do the people of the Isle of Man (aye, that's you, me and spud) really want the Government to do with the Lord Street site? Perhaps something that would benefit us all and not fat cats getting fatter?

For what sort of things?

We hosted the Island games a few years ago, and I went to see a mate run at the NSC. It was busy, but never totally packed. I know it's hard to book a 5-a-side pitch or squash court (especially since Summerland and Mt Murray shut) so we could probably do with something indoor, but I don't see how we'd benefit from a stadium.

The obvious one, of course, would be something along the lines of the Peel Bay Festival - or one-off concerts by major artists on tour (the Villa is often overscribed for such things).

Sporting events such as basketball, 5-a-side football tournaments, show-jumping events, martial arts competitions etc. The presence of a stadium for such things would mean that the regular bookings for other things at the NSC would not be disrupted whilst. at other times, it would ease the pressure on places for sports training. It might even be possible to create an ice-rink in the stadium from time to time.

But these are just a few ideas - I'm sure there could be many more uses.

What use of introducing new facilities when they can't even be bothered to look after the ones they have? Has anyone actually played sport on the NSC floor recently? It's full of dead spots and the surface is disgusting.

Yeah, the 5-a-side pitches are getting very difficult to book.

Yesterday, Tynwald spent hours debating whether a 999 year lease should be given to a consortium (or whatever it is) to build a £70M hotel complex down at the bus station. Apparently it was going to be a 99 year lease when original tenders were asked but changed *ahem* at some time, to a 999 year lease after the winning tender had been accepted.

Some were up in arms about this, but mainly those who worked to submit tenders on a 99 year lease. There were advocates being quoted everywhere.

The Attorney General did his bit and explained how a 999 year lease is right on and so much more desirable than a 99 year lease.

It seems that the Government have done a bit of swickery in someone's favour perhaps.

What - ideally - do the people of the Isle of Man (aye, that's you, me and spud) really want the Government to do with the Lord Street site? Perhaps something that would benefit us all and not fat cats getting fatter?

Actually, the request for tenders did not specify a length of lease, instead just asking for one that was long-term.

So far as indoor sports facilities are concerned, there isn't really a need for an indoor venue. It would make more sense to have the school sports facilities open in the evening.

I do agree with Lonan that there a lot of potential uses for an indoor sports venue, including an alternative to the Villa as a music venue, but there isn't a pressing need for one to be constructed, and therre are easier options that could be explored first.

It would make more sense to have the school sports facilities open in the evening.

I think they are? I've certainly seen stuff going on at St Niniens in the evening.

The Island Youth Games always baffles me, vastly over subscribed every year, a scrum of kids showing up, getting no play time, blah blah. Why aren't these clubs put on and supported all year round? Lack of coaches?

School sports halls are available for bookings yes. I used to play a regular five a side football game in St Ninians and I've trained for other sports at Ballakermeen too. Cheap as well.

The ideal thing would be for the government to erect a huge shell of a building which could be leased on a peppercorn rent to private enterprise who would be expected to provide and equip an entertainments complex and run it to a given standard.

The building could house for example, an ice skating rink, bowling alley, cinema's,sports venue, concert venue/ indoor exhibition area etc

Similar to some of the county showground buildings but perhaps a little larger with more amenieties. Minimal cost to government really, maximum benefit for residents and something for tourists too!

...The building could house for example, an ice skating rink, bowling alley, cinema's,sports venue, concert venue/ indoor exhibition area etc

Wasn't planning permission granted for a 'leisure' complex on the Ronaldsway estate and didn't our minister for the DTL recently go on a jolly across to Ireland to see a similar complex so that his department could see the benefits of what was being proposed?

Our Government, are supposed to be acting on OUR behalf and spending all OUR money and should be acting on OUR behalf. Just now, they are only thinking about themselves and their fat cat mates.

Don't expect the Summerland site to benefit the general population.

There are surely many developers and investment companies with their greedy eyes on the site and our weak politicians are easily swayed these days. They will guff off about "Inward Investment" of several £millions. Which basically means it gave a few of us some employment on the building site for a few months. Minister for DoGE John Shimmin now seems well versed in such rhetoric.

The ideal thing would be for the government to erect a huge shell of a building which could be leased on a peppercorn rent to private enterprise who would be expected to provide and equip an entertainments complex and run it to a given standard.

The building could house for example, an ice skating rink, bowling alley, cinema's,sports venue, concert venue/ indoor exhibition area etc

Similar to some of the county showground buildings but perhaps a little larger with more amenieties. Minimal cost to government really, maximum benefit for residents and something for tourists too!

The above seems sound. Why haven't the Council of Ministers done anything about it?

The Council of Ministers only have an interest to suck up and salivate to big businesses, and sorry, I'll have to say it again, the fat cats.

Expect the Summerland site to go in the same direction as the Lord Street Bus Station.

Long term facilities for the long term benefit of the people of the Isle of Man = not sexy

Huge 1000 year lease for a £70million four star hotel to benefits the Fat Kats = ££sexy very

Max's proposal sounds pretty good to me as it combines both leisure and business industries.

Just a thought, has anyone thought of two seater booths for watching videos instead of the cinema?

Archived