National Stadium Not Needed

Lonan3

When the debate was going on over Onchan Park, (Nivision Stadium) there was a suggestion made that MSR had promised considerable sums of money to create a centre for sporting excellence there. Although it was tied to the bid for a cycle track, why couldn't the rest of the investment still have been investigated. The pitch and put area is not used all year round, there is plenty of space there for the right kind of development.

As for the NSC, before they commit to large scale building operations, it would be nice if they built some changing rooms for the astro turf pitches. The current ones are at the opposite end of the facilities or you have to get changed in the toilets of the stands (when they are open).

People need to get over the idea that the Summerland site should be used for leisure facilities. Its rubbish for them.

Why?

and

What do you suggest?

Why?

and

What do you suggest?

The site itself is not that large, and parking capacity was and would be extremely limited. If the Island was to invest in something like this, it would be worthwhile identifying a better site, rather than feeling obligied to use the Summerland site for recreational facilities.

I'm struggling to think of any alternatives off hand, and only the former site of the Mannin Infirmary and the Cooil industrial estate spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure people can think of something better.

I know there are people that dislike the idea of more apartments on Douglas prom, but the Summerland site has little else going for it.

Archived