[BBC News] Police probe Clarkson photo

Newsbot

BBC LINK

Police are examining a photo that allegedly shows Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson talking on a mobile phone while driving on a motorway.

Adam Blake, 22, and Hayley Byford, 21, claim they saw Clarkson on the phone as he did 70mph (112kph) in a 1970s Mercedes on the M40 in Oxfordshire.

A photograph taken by the pair was sent to the Daily Mirror newspaper, who handed it to the police.

Drivers caught using mobiles face three points on their licence and a £60 fine.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: "We have been handed the photograph and we will be looking at it with a view to a possible prosecution.

"If we have got evidence we think could be supported in court, we will take action."

Clarkson has not released a statement on the incident.

And how would it tie up with his comment in THIS ARTICLE ?

Go out with someone who has a BlackBerry and you’ll not get a single word out of them. Because it will be chirping or whining or playing the theme music from The Persuaders. And they’ll be texting with one hand and sending an e-mail with the other and it’ll be like talking to someone who has an unreachable itch and a daughter who’s just been kidnapped. Their mind won’t be on what you’re saying.

If you have a BlackBerry you may be physically out with friends but mentally you are at work. This means you can never have fun. You can never relax. Soon, then, your friends will stop wanting to see you and then you’ll die, quite early, from stress.

- merged from other thread, mod -

Oh I see, he was doing 70mph on the M40 and they just happened to have their camera phone or camera and tripod set up as he was allegedly driving past them.

Pfft.

Me too Manxy - but it seems anybody will do anything these days for their moment of fame or pound of celebrity flesh.

Clarkson is daft to get caught though - he knows the law and should have a handsfree. If it's true he's handed this to his detractors on a plate.

Trouble is, he's probably like me - been driving for 35 years, using mobiles for the last 20 quite legally (until recently) and without causing the sort of carnage that the new laws were supposed to combat.

Seems you can TWOC, drive without licence, tax or insurance and get a few hours cleaning litter (which you'll probably not bother to turn up for anyway), whereas safe and (otherwise) legal drivers feel the full force of the law at every juncture.

Me too Manxy - but it seems anybody will do anything these days for their moment of fame or pound of celebrity flesh.

Clarkson is daft to get caught though - he knows the law and should have a handsfree. If it's true he's handed this to his detractors on a plate.

Trouble is, he's probably like me - been driving for 35 years, using mobiles for the last 20 quite legally (until recently) and without causing the sort of carnage that the new laws were supposed to combat.

Seems you can TWOC, drive without licence, tax or insurance and get a few hours cleaning litter (which you'll probably not bother to turn up for anyway), whereas safe and (otherwise) legal drivers feel the full force of the law at every juncture.

I'm sure he'll 'feel the full force of the law at every juncture' if the police really are probing him! :o

In fairness, if that's the only picture, it wouldn't need a clever lawyer at all.

How can you possibly get a positive ID from that image.

In fact, it looks a bit like my Mum.

It's possible that the Police would be able to get the time and date of the picture from the EXIF data (if the picture format supports it) and they should be able to find out whether Clarkson's mobile was in use at that time (and if it was in the location specified by the people who took the photograph) and the duration of the call. The DVLA would have details of cars registered to Clarkson and would be able to show whether he owned the horrid green monstrosity in the picture.

Impossible to tell what speed he was travelling at but this is immaterial as, even if the car was stationary he was still committing an offence using the phone whilst at the controls of the car on the public highway (as was pointed out in another thread here recently).

If indeed it is him, to get off the charge he would have to show that he wasn't on the public highway - he might have been in a car park for example.

The picture in question....

9CC69C69-F4FC-461B-4D56E06B3083A156.jpg

What get's me is the clarity of the picture, and the non-blurred background considering it was taken on a camera phone at 70mph.....

Where can I get a camera phone like that?

So Clarkson is driving a left hand drive vehicle?

The view in question shows that Clarkson was either overtaking the owner of the vehicle taking the picture or because of the stillness in the background, would suggest they had stopped.

Alternatively, if the picture takers were driving a right hand drive vehicle, either the passenger must have leaned over the drivers side to take the picture, obscuring the drivers vision (dangerous driving) or, the vehicle driver took the picture and again, dangerous driving or she was in the back seat?

Mmmm.... I agree with you Overdose and good detective work Jimcalagon, dodgy photo though!

edited: due to new info from jimcalagon

I agree, that is someone in an old left hand drive 1960's car sitting in a carpark. No blurring of tree branches, another car parked just ahead no blurring again!

Someone should be prosecuted for wasting police time. They are only following this up a great expense due to who it is alleged to be and the crap that would fly about if they didn't!

Archived