Obama Not Too Keen On Tax Havens

steven !

I am getting a bit confused here. Does the global economic downturn have anything to do with Obama's opposition to tax havens?

They are both mentioned as issues concerning Alan Bell in the Manx Radio story at the top, which is why they are both popping up here. I agree it is a little confusing, but they are not linked so far as I can see.

But it isn't a little backwater. From what I have read on American news sites the US believes that its Treasury it losing billions from tax dodges. It would all seem pretty worrying for the Island is the US is writing up legislation.

I assume that he has heard of Delaware then......hypocrite!

Delaware the state? What do you mean?

Delaware is an on-shore state for the incorporation of "offshore companies"....seems somewhat short sighted to be attacking financial centres around the world for offering tax advantages when they have one on their own doorstep....

Is it short-sighted? Will the Bill affect Delaware? If not, then I would suppose that his campaigning is simply for the national interest, which is not hypocritical but understandable. But it does seem hypocritical if Delaware continue to operate its regime.

If Obama did come to power, could it mean the end to offshoring? Or would the tax havens be able to survive?

Archived