Sailings This Weekend

When Skies Are Grey

Sailings Update - Friday 21st March

Gale force wind continues to be forecast throughout today Friday 21st March, and into tomorrow morning but then decreasing.

This evening’s 19:45 sailing to Heysham and tomorrows 02:15 sailing from Heysham are anticipated to sail on schedule.

Saturday mornings 07:30 sailing to Liverpool is anticipated to sail but the departure will be delayed. Passengers are requested to check in by 09:00.

The 11:15 sailing from Liverpool will also be subject to a delay and passengers are requested to check in by 11:30.

All Saturdays sailings to and from Heysham are anticipated to sail on schedule.

For further information, please contact our reservations centre on 0871 2221333 or 01624 661661.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pirates.jpg

Nice pic !!!!--all too true was due out on the 7.30 this morning ---tried to change yesterday to the heysham boat , obviously the sea cat cannot sail in even a fart of a wind, but was told it was full. Now waiting for the 19 ish to heysham tonight. Know the packet cannot control the weather but why not put a proper boat on ? and where are the staff sent to charm school? I was greeted this morning by staff with an attitude , apparently its the fault of the passangers for wanting to sail , and my fault for owning a van ( which is smaller than a people carrier) but obviously by owning a van I MUST be freight . :(

Sell the van and get a people carrier, take all the seats out and you have a van with windows. Works for me and saves me a fortune.

[/quote

Cannot get the scoots in , thats why need a van !!!!! too much of girl to ride the scoot to Yarmouth for the rally , a nice warm van is better!

but obviously by owning a van I MUST be freight . :(

i hope u diden pay fright charge :(

must have been a few years ago now came back from liverpool on the lady, force 10-11 for an hour or so,

then force 7-9 for most of the rest, worst i ever been on, but least she sailed,

but really felt sorry for some of the people on board,

was cancelled the night b4, so you had the option of going on the boat for the night to sleep,

getting a hotel or sleeping in your car on the dock,

we opted for the park car in dock and go on the piss till 5 in the morning,

then try and climb over gates into dock area with out killing yourself on the top, and explaining to the cops what we were doing,

but it did beat sitting on that boat all night there was some sick looking people on that boat b4 she even sailed,

but will never again go on the piss b4 going out in storm force winds,

The Sea terminal/jubilee clock area was Chocker with cars n bike this morning, Everyone beeping - giving the finger - women getting all confused, it was madness lol, we ended up driving the wagon along the pavement bcus women had not kept the roundabouts clear and it caused long Q's, it was fun though lol.

Sell the van and get a people carrier, take all the seats out and you have a van with windows. Works for me and saves me a fortune.

[/quote

Cannot get the scoots in , thats why need a van !!!!! too much of girl to ride the scoot to Yarmouth for the rally , a nice warm van is better!

I've got a Renault Espace and got two Vespas in last year for IOW. Glad to lend it to you if you want.

When giving evidence to the select committee, TravelWatch claimed (paraphrasing) that 'fast conventional craft' were generally too large to be considered suitable for servicing the Isle of Man. I remember in the petition thread people (including me) seemed to like the vessels used by NorthLink, but then some one revealed they aren't very popular with the users.

There's never going to be an ideal solution where we can cross the sea in all weather. As Tom Glassey pointed out in his blog, even when the Steam Packet had eight ships they only ran one a day in the winter and were still vulnerable to the weather. It is frustrating, but its part of living on an Island, especially one in the middle of the Irish Sea.

When giving evidence to the select committee, TravelWatch claimed (paraphrasing) that 'fast conventional craft' were generally too large to be considered suitable for servicing the Isle of Man.

Which page of Hansard are you looking at for this? There are several vessels that have been built to the sort of size that would fit Heysham and Douglas.

I remember in the petition thread people (including me) seemed to like the vessels used by NorthLink, but then some one revealed they aren't very popular with the users.

The Northlink vessels are fast conventionals which would fit Douglas, and from personal experience, they are good in weather - speed was maintained in a gale, and arrival was only 10 minutes late. I have not heard that they are unpopular.

There's never going to be an ideal solution where we can cross the sea in all weather.....It is frustrating, but its part of living on an Island, especially one in the middle of the Irish Sea.

As you say, there are no ideal solutions - just that some would be better than others. We learn to live with the weather and what it brings (or not!). If we weren't prepared to put up with some of the inconveniences, we wouldn't live here. What we would hope for from our transport providers is that the inconveniences are kept to the best possible minimum.

This Easter, bookings for the Viking have been such that when she has been cancelled due to weather, there has been insufficient space on Ben to cope with everyone - I have heard stories of people being unable to travel on the next Ben sailing, from both UK and IOM. This helps to emphasise that what is needed is a second vessel that can cope with a bit of wind and weather.

We are soon to be left with just the Viking for our passenger service, for 2 weeks at the beginning of April, when Ben goes in for survey/repaint. The Packet appears to have arranged no alternative/passenger back-up, so we are very much in the lap of the gods if the wind blows.

you can get a van on the boat for less than freight IF you sign a paper saying that you are not using it for comercial reasons and you consent to them checking your contents to confirm you are not. i am not sure whether you get it for the normal car cost or somewhere in between, but it is definitely not full freight charges. obviously if you bring it back with 50 telly's you may need to cough up.

The Racket's website has not been updated properly, so the sailings update is anything but an update.

"Liverpool to Douglas-Departed at: 15:00 - Expected arrival: 17:45"

"Douglas to Liverpool-Departure: 17:45 - Expected arrival: 20:15"

If it gets away from Douglas at 17.45 it'll be a mackerel. It takes at least an hour to turn it round.

I've done that before, with my pick-up, and they do check. I think you are only allowed to do that a few times a year

A friend of mine can get two 600cc sports bikes in his Mercedes V-Class MPV, so two Vespas shouldn't be a problem in that size vehicle :thumbsup:

It wasnt any better on the flights on friday to be honest...the Euromanx flight that was supposed to leave at 07.20 finally departed at just after midday! The reaon was apparently a technical difficulty that needed a part from Dublin.

So when the part from Dublin arrives and the plane is fixed what do the do.....send the 07.20 passengers I hear you cry....ooohhhh noooo....they send the 09.45 passengers. So us on the early flight sit there like muppets until 12 until a new plan arrives from London City.

Then to top it all off we have to wait over 30 mins for the bags to arrive in Liverpool....great start to the Easter Break...thanks Euro Manx!

Archived