Mr+

manxmedia

I'm confused. Bar George's offer is "Use your MR+ card when you book and pay in advance for any of our listed events and receive a 10% discount"

It's on their area on there, if I can see it, what's up with you lot?

I've seen it now - it's just that yesterday morning they didn't have any offer listed.

Of course being a club member, I should have received a text alert/email alert about a NEW OFFER. Despite claiming to their clients that club members would receive text and email alerts about new offers - I didn't get any such alert. Oh dear - looks like even the clients are getting a rough deal too.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm confused. Bar George's offer is "Use your MR+ card when you book and pay in advance for any of our listed events and receive a 10% discount"

I think most people are confused.

Firstly 10% off "listed events" is not the same as 10% off is it. If you only have one of two special events a year (Christmas?) people are just going to get pissed off by the fact that they have a card that is ostensibly useless as they can't just pop in and get 10% off. On this basis I agree with you its not a discount card - its a pointless potential discount card.

Secondly as has been pointed out if events have been listed and nobody has been alerted to them by text or e-mail (as promised) again what is the point as nobody is going to turn up at these events and get the chance to use the card.

It just looks like a totally stupid idea to me.

Incidentaly I spoke to a sales guy from MR who proudly told me that Manxradio.com gets over 1 million hits a week and was genuinley using this as a sales tool

My f**king arse it does

As an indicator:

manxradio.com

post-1345-1207386835_thumb.jpg

and by comparison, manxforums.com:

post-1345-1207387076_thumb.jpg

I've seen it now - it's just that yesterday morning they didn't have any offer listed.

To be fair, it was listed yesterday. I used it in my post at 11:30 yesterday as an example of it being a card that can get a discount, i.e. a discount card.

It's a bit daft that you have to actually click on the special offer link to actually see the special offer, but then the whole campaign has been bit daft from the start

I'd like to post something critical about Manx Radio plus but as I have been trying to access the web page for the last 3 hours unsuccessfully I'm unable to ascertain whether it is rubbish or not.

(Hang on. That was critical wasn't it!)

That will be down to the 6 billion people per day who browse the MR website

I'd like to post something critical about Manx Radio plus but as I have been trying to access the web page for the last 3 hours unsuccessfully I'm unable to ascertain whether it is rubbish or not.

(Hang on. That was critical wasn't it!)

That will be down to the 6 billion people per day who browse the MR website

Those 6 billion people have probably heard that there's a free cup of tea going at the Java Noodle bar today if you have an MR+ card!

Not being from that neighbourhood, I asked a friend on the island recently what 'Manx Crab Syndrome' was.

He pointed me to this thread.

He said that a lot of Manx people like nothing better than to talk DOWN any new idea, predict it will fail, tell everybody it's going to fail, and when it eventually DOES fail through lack of support, stand back and say "I always knew it would fail".

You wiseguys crack me up - whenever I look in I see entire threads moaning that nobody is investing in the Isle of Man or doing anything new, the minute somebody tries something (anything) it's shot down in flames before it even leaves the runway.

It'd be endearing if it wasn't so sad, and reflect so badly on you.

He said that a lot of Manx people like nothing better than to talk DOWN any new idea, predict it will fail, tell everybody it's going to fail, and when it eventually DOES fail through lack of support, stand back and say "I always knew it would fail".

You wiseguys crack me up - whenever I look in I see entire threads moaning that nobody is investing in the Isle of Man or doing anything new, the minute somebody tries something (anything) it's shot down in flames before it even leaves the runway.

It'd be endearing if it wasn't so sad, and reflect so badly on you.

You've completely misunderstood. This isn't anything new, this isn't innovative, this is nothing like the claims the MR people were making.

Can I start by saying how much I enjoyed the hospitality of the launch party for MR+. As usual money was no object, even if it was on a possible contra deal. Drinks and nosh where well received.

Mr Marsdon was in fine form and gave an interesting speech.

In my humble opinion, this is a card designed to gain a data base and “mine” information from the cardholder. I do trust is complies with the data protection act, and has the required opt outs from receiving third party mail shots/junk mail. These days it is the norm to opt in rather than opt out.

The website, in my opinion, is badly designed and has a massive “payload” of data to transfer on every page. It takes forever to fully appear.

As far as the public go, Manx Radio are selling this product as a discount card. It can be dressed up as something else but remember, it has to have a commercial value.

Can I start by saying how much I enjoyed the hospitality of the launch party for MR+. As usual money was no object, even if it was on a possible contra deal. Drinks and nosh where well received.

Mr Marsdon was in fine form and gave an interesting speech.

In my humble opinion, this is a card designed to gain a data base and “mine” information from the cardholder. I do trust is complies with the data protection act, and has the required opt outs from receiving third party mail shots/junk mail. These days it is the norm to opt in rather than opt out.

The website, in my opinion, is badly designed and has a massive “payload” of data to transfer on every page. It takes forever to fully appear.

As far as the public go, Manx Radio are selling this product as a discount card. It can be dressed up as something else but remember, it has to have a commercial value.

I agree that it's probably just a tool to gain names & addresses. No opt in/out either which is a bit strange. I deliberately misspelt my address so I'll know if they've passed on my details to third parties without my agreement.

Archived