Mr+

manxmedia

Just checked, and this site has a higher traffic rank than manxradio.com, so does that make us the most powerful media empire on the rock? :)

Cool! Can I change my name to Rupert?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awful lot of assumptions there. Why is it that someone cannot comment in the positive vein without being attributed to MR?

I can tell you're obviously new around here :rolleyes:

What next? Positive threads about the Steam Packet and the smoking ban? Come on - we have certain standards to adhere to here, you know :)

So I see! maybe next time I'll slag MR off.....ffs you're a hard lot

So answer the question .. your connection is?

If everybody wanted everyone to know who they were then we wouldnt all have handles would we "localyokel"? Play the game and play it fair........even "Mr Learner" knows that rule ;)

Thanks for answering my question. Clearly one rule for MR connected people and one rule for others in terms of shielding identities. Didn't ask you who you were just whether you were connected with MR? You refused.

Just as you cant slag someone off on the island because the person youre slagging them off to will be their mother's brother's cousin et blah, nearly everyone somehow on the island is probably connected in some way with MR.

Awful lot of assumptions there. Why is it that someone cannot comment in the positive vein without being attributed to MR?

I can tell you're obviously new around here :rolleyes:

What next? Positive threads about the Steam Packet and the smoking ban? Come on - we have certain standards to adhere to here, you know :)

So I see! maybe next time I'll slag MR off.....ffs you're a hard lot

So answer the question .. your connection is?

If everybody wanted everyone to know who they were then we wouldnt all have handles would we "localyokel"? Play the game and play it fair........even "Mr Learner" knows that rule ;)

Thanks for answering my question. Clearly one rule for MR connected people and one rule for others in terms of shielding identities. Didn't ask you who you were just whether you were connected with MR? You refused.

Just as you cant slag someone off on the island because the person youre slagging them off to will be their mother's brother's cousin et blah, nearly everyone somehow on the island is probably connected in some way with MR.

Yes. Again thank you for (not) answering my question. Its crystal clear that your happy to potentially out someone you think is a competitor to MR but not confirm whether you yourself have a connection with MR. I'm not connected to MR and neither is my extended family or friends and I have no idea who the person you refer to is. What I do know is that it smacks of double standards IF you are connected and failed to point it out.

[quote}

Yes. Again thank you for answering my question. Its crystal clear (and quite sad). Your happy to out a competitor but not yourself. I'm not connected to MR and neither is my extended family or friends.

I havent actively outed anyone, I, among with others, speculated as to manxmedias identity. That is exactly what it is at this stage, speculation. It hasnt been confirmed, and I certainly do not know. This mini thread, on top of this whole thread just confirms that youre all too quick to jump a decide something before having the facts to hand.

I havent extolled the virtues of the MR+ card as i havent received mine yet, nor have I had the chance to use it.

Manx Radio is the Islands life line regarding everything that happens on the Isle of Man

John Marsom

Business Director

Manx Radio

johnmarsom@manxradio.com

You seem to have a rather inflated perception of the importance of Manx Radio. To say the least.

(this sort of arrogant thinking is probably symptomatic)

The world of presentation is not as easy as you might think but it is one that my colleagues choose to do for the love of the art.

Regards

John Marsom

Business Director

Manx Radio

johnmarsom@manxradio.com

LOL claiming Brindleys Breakfast is ART! classic. You will be wanting an Arts Council Grant then, on top of the Three Quarters of a Million

At the risk of raising my head above the parapet (only to have it shot at)

If people do not like MR then don't listen, you have alternatives. But for some people MR is a lifeline, especially people who are not able to get out and about, it's their way of keeping up to date with the outside world.

What I find amazing is this 'tax payers money' stance that some seem to take on, the mentality seems to be - if I dont want it then it should cease in its existence and stop using 'MY' tax paying money (as if they are the only tax payers)

If MR is using MR+ as a way to boost commercial advertising, then surely this is a good thing??

As for the attacks on the presenters - well, as an adult, if I don't like something on the radio, I change channel - simple!

I'm not an avid listener (except during TT/MGP) but I do flick on it from time to time.

If people do not like MR then don't listen, you have alternatives.

Of course, but ignoring stuff doesn't make for much of a discussion forum does it? Likewise, if people do not like comments about manx radio, don't read, you have alternatives.

If people do not like MR then don't listen, you have alternatives.

True, that is an option I have taken, apart from about 30 mins of Mandate in the morning.

However, as Manx Radio promotes itself and the national broadcaster and does receive some taxpayers money I feel I have some right to comment on it.

Manx Radio discount card has started to be advertised MR+. Offering all sorts of money saving ideas.

I wonder what Energy & 3FM think of it. Questions in Parliament???

How much must it cost in administration to run a loyalty card scheme?

We have some of the very best talent working for us in UK radio

Manx Radio is the Islands life line regarding everything that happens on the Isle of Man - maybe a few of you should come to the station and see what everyone does to provide some of the best content in radio today.

In the mean time if you would like to "slag" presenters then maybe you should consider getting up at 4 in the morning and working all day after presenting a great show.

I look for ward to meeting any of you in Bar George to take advantage of your MR+ offer (it's not a discount card by the way) but you will have to join to find out what the offer is - - and its FREE!

Regards

John Marsom

Business Director

Manx Radio

johnmarsom@manxradio.com

A few points for the sake of clarity;

You say that you have some of the best talent working in UK radio today. I say that most people on this forum find that statement laughable. If you reckon that Brindley is talent, then I'm a Chinaman.

MR is not the Island's lifeline regarding everything that happens in the Isle of Man, and this statement reflects the arrogance and inflated sense of self importance that your Company has of itself.

Getting up at 4am to present a great show? Come on, get a grip on reality. The Breakfast show is not a great show by any means, and doesn't hold a candle to Radio 2 and Terry Wogan. You get what you pay for in this world.

Bar George? No thanks.

Join to find out what the fantastic offer is? Again, no thanks. To say that it is innovative and that it has taken 4 years to invent, is beyond me. If it was that great, it would have been done a long time ago, and the fact that it hasn't been done here just tells me that it isn't worth doing.

[John Marsom' date=Mar 23 2008, 08:36 PM' post='311380]

I would encourage you to support your National Broadcaster and be proud of the fact that innovative ideas such as MR+ keep your contribution to running the ststion to less than £10 a year per head of population on the Island.

Is this statement not incompatible with this one?

I look for ward to meeting any of you in Bar George to take advantage of your MR+ offer (it's not a discount card by the way) but you will have to join to find out what the offer is - - and its FREE!

So Manx Radio costs us £10 a year each but MR + is actually a free service (ie. your saying that we don't pay for it when you have already said we are funding the offering company to the tune of £10 a year each, so we have presumably covered some of the cost of developing this free product). As the product has not been launched yet how can you say its free? If it is not commercially successful maybe we'll be paying more than £10 next year to make up for the loss involved in developing it?

Don't get me wrong, this is not a dig at MR totally but how can this be free (ie, not paid for by listeners / taxpayers) and furthermore how can it keep our costs down because the taxpayer contributes to running the station and the development of products and services etc and yet you've no idea whether it will recover what you have spent to launch it?

I have the same problem with the MEA. Why is a government owned company paid for by us selling TV's, fridges, and electrical goods to the public when there are other companies out there whose livelihood depends on selling TV's, fridges, and electrical goods to the public? They could give away free TV's but actually it would be us who have paid for them to be bought in the first place so they wouldn't be free at all.

On this basis I can see why energy or 3fm get the hump with MR. Your all chasing the same advertising but only one company has the luxury of having its overheads partially underwritten. It does not make sense really. One of those Manx anomallies that should have gone by the wayside years ago.

my god this thread is becoming cyclical.

Not necessarily cyclical - the recurrent themes just shows your agrument is not really going any where and, no matter what you post to blindly support MR, many people obviously don't share your views. That might come as a shock to you but maybe, just maybe, that's true reflection of how people feel?

Archived