Poor Pubs

Port Erin

The Ship. Dingy, seriously in need of a fun injection and for some perplexing reason seems to attract the "upper class" of Castletown. By that I mean it attracts people who assume they're better than you because they're wearing tweed and sitting in a bar that's made to look (vaguely) like the interior of a ship.

I always liked the Ship for lunch but haven't been there since the new people took over - simply haven't been to Castletown that often at lunchtime.

I was regulalry in Castletown in the early 70's during the day - was very nice then.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with pubs is that they are full of people who drink....people who drink tend to get pissed....people who get pissed tend to become annoying assholes.

Too true. We are also blessed with landlords/managers who haven't a clue what they're doing and let situations develop by continuing to serve those obviously 'concerned' with drink.

In most pubs you'd be hard pushed to figure out who actually runs the place.

H & B have a lot to answer for although, sadly, I also continue to be vastly unimpressed by the Rovers on many levels, especially as excellent The Bay in Port Erin is run by the same company.

I could either

a) go to a pub, choose from a limited selection of beer that is overpriced, queue to be served, share the space with people I don't want to know whilst being bombarded with music I dont want to listen to and piss in some infested trough

or

b) stay at home, having bought my own choice of beer at a reasonable price, sit on a comfortable sofa, have a smoke (not that I do but you get the point) and listen to the music that I like with the people that I like...

Hmmmmm.....staying in is the new going out.

There's one serious flaw with the whole staying in thing. Yes it's cheaper, its going to be a good night because you're with friends and you can basically do whatever the hell you want. But you very rarely meet new people doing that. for people such as me, single 20 somethings, it's nice to be able to go out with friends, have a good time and maybe meet new people. But that just doesnt happene here because the atmosphere is so stale that nobody really has a good time when they're out.

I kinda knew that was what you were going to say. Rest assured, i'm not the obnoxious spawn of a benefit cheat and a serial car thief. It'd just be nice to go out and have a good time and make new friends instead of walking round douglas checking everywhere incase some drunken twatbag decides I look like a good target to practice his right hooks on.

I ceratinly enjoyed a trip along the Barbary Coast when I was in my yoof....but it no longer appeals. Whether thats down to the decrepid establishments or my age....I guess a bit of both.

Pub trips for me now are pretty much limited to watching a match every once in a while....

Times change, peoples attitidues change...it just appears that the pubs and those advocating them seem to have forgotten that....

We could do with a Weatherspoons over here......

I hope to God that's not a serious comment.....

Don't understand the problem with a Wetherspoons myself. Been in a few here in the UK. They are what they are. Large pub with generally cheap drink. Not the kind of place that you would maybe stay in all night, but would rather be in one of these than some local dive of an inn with the local chavs wanting to stab you!

There is a really popular one in Glasgow called The Counting House. (an old converted bank). You generally find that filled by age groups from early twenties starting a night out right up to folk in their 60's in for a few swift drinks after a days shopping. And it is always busy.

People on the island are concerned with the uncompetitive price of alcohol, if a Wetherspoons did open, do you not think that might force your existing overpriced pubs to lower their prices a bit? You generally find pubs don't like it when a competitor like Wetherspoons opens next door!

..., if a Wetherspoons did open, do you not think that might force your existing overpriced pubs to lower their prices a bit? You generally find pubs don't like it when a competitor like Wetherspoons opens next door!

Or would a big chain based company realise that there is a packet to be made by charging the same prices as everyone else....captive markets dont breed altruism IMO

..., if a Wetherspoons did open, do you not think that might force your existing overpriced pubs to lower their prices a bit? You generally find pubs don't like it when a competitor like Wetherspoons opens next door!

Or would a big chain based company realise that there is a packet to be made by charging the same prices as everyone else....captive markets dont breed altruism IMO

I don't think that is really what Wetherspoons are about, as they are known for lower prices everywhere else.

On saying that, I suppose the IOM is different in being a bit more isolated than most other places with that type of pub, and it would be easier for them to get away with hiking the prices up if they so wished.

People on the island are concerned with the uncompetitive price of alcohol, if a Wetherspoons did open, do you not think that might force your existing overpriced pubs to lower their prices a bit?

Prices didn't drop when Quids Inn first opened up. Although I suppose all the other pubs offered something that Quids In didn't. Mainly not having Irish builders piss on your shoes and punch you in the face as you queued for a beer.

Evidence elsewhere suggests that when a smoking ban comes in pubs lose business for a year or two and then recover as people gradually adjust to the new healthier situation. It tends to improve the quality of food etc on offer in pubs as well in the long-term. Wetherspoon have just reported this improved trend in its latest sales figures in the UK.

Archived