Poor Pubs

Port Erin

Am i missing something?

Empty pubs?

People not going out because of the prices ect?

If anything i would say the pubs that i drink in seem to be getting more and more people. This is only the weekend mind you, dont know what they are like on a week night but even still i have never seen the pubs i go to busy during the week unless the footy is on.

Paying £4.50 a pint in some City centres/clubs is fine if you can afford it, we are not as bad as some people in this thread are trying to make out. Everything has gone up by a silly amount in the past 6 months and i dont see them doing anything but going up more and more. I dont see this having an effect on the majority of people who enjoy going to the pubs on a weekend to wind down and have a few social ones with the boys/girls.

There are alot more people staying in nowadays but for me i have noticed that these people are replaced by folks who never used to go out.

I also dont get how the winter coming is going to make a difference to pubs and people who want to smoke, most pubs have done the sencible thing and either got shelters or at least heaters. Even still, if you plan a night out based on which pub you are not going to get cold/wet when popping out for a fag then personally i think you are a mentalist, we have these amazing things called coats (some brainy people even made waterproof ones that keep you warm and dry when you are outside.) I have yet to meet someone who said they are not going to go out because they either cant smoke in the pub or because they would be too cold when going out for a fag, this includes last winter in the UK.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Trafalgar is an independent pub (hence the reasonable prices and the fact that it's always busy).

The Railway is not doing a roaring trade by any means, and is a circuit pub that is only doing any sort of trade on a Friday and Saturday night. Any pub worth its salt in such a prime location would be doing better, believe me.

I haven't been sacked by H & B, nor would I find myself working for such a shoddy outfit with no strategy or clue about how to run a successful business.

Bitter much?

The railway seems to be doing a roaring trade, even if it is mostly at the weekends it still must be making a packet. This is along with another 6 or 7 pubs that i can think of in Douglas alone, then the ones i drink in out of town also seem busier than past years.

Shoddy business plan or not, the pubs seem to be thriving as far as a punter can see.

More doom and gloom mongering, i am acctually starting to enjoy some peoples take on whats happening on the Island in terms of trade ect its fucking hillarious to watch the fear spread.

Bitter much?

The railway seems to be doing a roaring trade, even if it is mostly at the weekends it still must be making a packet. This is along with another 6 or 7 pubs that i can think of in Douglas alone, then the ones i drink in out of town also seem busier than past years.

Shoddy business plan or not, the pubs seem to be thriving as far as a punter can see.

More doom and gloom mongering, i am acctually starting to enjoy some peoples take on whats happening on the Island in terms of trade ect its fucking hillarious to watch the fear spread.

I've just driven past The Railway via Tesco and there's hardly a soul in; which seems to be the case apart from people passing through on a Friday and Saturday night. You can't tell me that a pub is making a packet on the back of 2 half decent nights of trade. If it was any good, it would be fairing better.

The only pubs that I can think of that are doing anywhere near a decent trade are The Queens, Terminus, Bridge and Jaks. It's no coincidence that these pubs actually have decent Managers that know how to make a good pub work and give the paying public what they want.

I can only quote Martin Brunschweiller and Grant Paterson from this week's Examiner, when they are expecting a tough winter due to a variety of reasons (funny how extortionate prices were never mentioned though).

What's the name of that pub next to the railway station in Laxey. I went into that pub one Saturday afternoon as I wanted a refreshing pint of beer. So there I was with very few customers in the pub, waiting and......waiting to be served. After about 10 minutes I gave up and walked out with an audible "fuck this!".

I waited until I got back to Douglas and went into the Terminus Tavern. (Nice pub, food looks great, want to go there again.) I was served immediately.

Maybe it's some pub staff who are shite.

According to my mate 'oop north, one of the pubs in Ramsey got caught out by trading standards when the Smirnoff bottles on the optics behind the bar contained cheap shitty vodka (Unless you rate Smirnoff as cheap and shitty).

Not good for business when you can't even trust them to give you what you are paying for.

What's the name of that pub next to the railway station in Laxey. I went into that pub one Saturday afternoon as I wanted a refreshing pint of beer. So there I was with very few customers in the pub, waiting and......waiting to be served. After about 10 minutes I gave up and walked out with an audible "fuck this!".

I waited until I got back to Douglas and went into the Terminus Tavern. (Nice pub, food looks great, want to go there again.) I was served immediately.

Maybe it's some pub staff who are shite.

Mines Tavern

According to my mate 'oop north, one of the pubs in Ramsey got caught out by trading standards when the Smirnoff bottles on the optics behind the bar contained cheap shitty vodka (Unless you rate Smirnoff as cheap and shitty).

Not good for business when you can't even trust them to give you what you are paying for.

That wouldnt be the Ellan Vannin ( The Commy ) now , would it ? I have heard rumours that they are going to be losing their license.Couldn't happen to a nicer pair.

The landlord of the Terminus ocassionally (sp) posts on here , but he is a good mate of mine , so it will be good to pass some positive comments on.They had a refit at the end of last year and it has made a great improvement.Also as someone that goes out with his wife and children to eat , the smoke free atmosphere is infinitely preferable.Nothing against smokers of course ;)

That wouldnt be the Ellan Vannin ( The Commy ) now , would it ? I have heard rumours that they are going to be losing their license.Couldn't happen to a nicer pair.

Don't know them personally but the rumours about them losing their license will become true if they get found guilty of "Vodka fraud", the worst possible kind of fraud! Though I heard that Bushy's were looking for an excuse to get rid of them anyway.

I used to frequent The Mitre in Ramsey on Wednesday nights and drink the Red Bear vodka. Fookin awful stuff, gives you a nasty hangover but VERY strong. Each to his own, I suppose!

It's been confirmed that H & B have raised their prices this week to protect their profit margins, in light of wholesale price increases and a dwindling client base.

Well, only here could a brewery raise prices to protect their profit margins and bleat about the smoking ban affecting business.

Unbelievable. Put Tesco in charge to show these clowns how to run a business efficiently and make a decent profit.

If i could just give a thumbs up for the crosby pub,

went for a few beers last night and a game of pool, friendly smiling staff and clean surroundings and as i very pleasant gesture we were asked if we could eat some chips as the food was finishing for the night and had spare left over and so a large bowl of free chips.

Oh and it was busy also for an out of town pub.

Archived