Poor Pubs

Port Erin

If i could just give a thumbs up for the crosby pub,

went for a few beers last night and a game of pool, friendly smiling staff and clean surroundings and as i very pleasant gesture we were asked if we could eat some chips as the food was finishing for the night and had spare left over and so a large bowl of free chips.

Oh and it was busy also for an out of town pub.

It's pleasantly surprising to see how a good pub should be run. Landlords that make the effort and go the extra mile for their clientele will hold their own anywhere.

I just find the complacency of H & B hierarchy in their Ivory Towers at Kewaigue remarkable in this current economic climate. How many businesses can afford to raise their prices when demand is falling, and have the cheek to blame anyone else but themselves for their predicament?

H & B, along with a few outfits here, are in for a rude awakening shortly - mark my words.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and talking of shit pubs

, I went to the horse and plough after squash tuesday night, what an example of a fucking shit pub run by shit bar staff in shit surroundings the fucking place is a joke. free drink would attract people back.

I think you need to understand something, demand is not falling. Pubs have been just as busy, if not busier for the past couple of years.

What planet are you on? Everyone knows fine well the pubs are quiet, and the breweries have been echoing these sentiments for quite a while now. Martin Brunschweiller sensed that there was an air of uncertainty the best part of 1 year ago, and said back then that trade was taking a turn for the worse.

The only pubs that will be doing a decent trade just now are those that have something to offer and go the extra mile. In simple words - not many.

I think you need to understand something, demand is not falling. Pubs have been just as busy, if not busier for the past couple of years.

What planet are you on? Everyone knows fine well the pubs are quiet, and the breweries have been echoing these sentiments for quite a while now. Martin Brunschweiller sensed that there was an air of uncertainty the best part of 1 year ago, and said back then that trade was taking a turn for the worse.

The only pubs that will be doing a decent trade just now are those that have something to offer and go the extra mile. In simple words - not many.

I agree Port Erin. And with Molly's opinion of the Horse & Plough. My that's awful...

Second the 'Horse With No Plough' (twinned with the 'Cat With No Tail'), dirty, shabby, poor food and service (although many of the staff are pleasant enough, they just don't seem to get the idea of a pub).

If ever a pub should make it, it is that one. Huge residential catchment area and increasing day-time business market, lots of parking, nice layout inside, etc. etc. It has everything going for it, except the management which has consistently failed to make it work. Make it a tenancy and I bet it would.

It's been confirmed that H & B have raised their prices this week to protect their profit margins, in light of wholesale price increases and a dwindling client base.

Well, only here could a brewery raise prices to protect their profit margins and bleat about the smoking ban affecting business.

Unbelievable. Put Tesco in charge to show these clowns how to run a business efficiently and make a decent profit.

And is it all beers that have gone up or just the imported beers that the suppliers have just increased the prices on.

Beer brewed on the Island has not gone up even though there has been a 40% increase in raw material costs.

The planet that goes out every weekend and has not seen a decline in numbers of people drinking in the pubs, quite the opposite.

But then again i am not grinding an axe with the brewery

The planet that goes out every weekend and has not seen a decline in numbers of people drinking in the pubs, quite the opposite.

But then again i am not grinding an axe with the brewery

I'd say weekends are quieter than they used to be, but I wouldn't say they were the best measure of how the industry is doing.

I'm no expert in running a pub, but I'd guess you need regular trade all days of the week. The few times I've been out mid week recently the pubs are dead to a point where when you have people over it's embarrasing to take them into town. I don't remember it being like that a few years ago, and most of the pubs must be running at a loss most evenings.

why is it cheaper to drink okells bitter in liverpool than it is on the island ?

generally pubs on the island have have no imagination and no idea on how to get punters in

no offers, no special deals, no discounts. lets say 15 pubs are quiet, then theres no atmosphere. might as well stay in.

more people in through the door, generates better atmosphere and then gets more in following.

all generalisations but you only have to look at wetherspoons. crap pubs but always busy.

all generalisations but you only have to look at wetherspoons. crap pubs but always busy.

That's a good generalisation. There are a lot of good Wetherspoons. They usually have good beer, and are quiet - no juke boxes or satellite tv etc., so you can hear yourself speak, and food's not bad either. Went for breakfast in one recently - a pretty good all round experience. Yes, busy, even on a Sunday morning - and breakfast probably almost as cheap as you could do it at home.

That's a good generalisation. There are a lot of good Wetherspoons. They usually have good beer, and are quiet - no juke boxes or satellite tv etc., so you can hear yourself speak, and food's not bad either. Went for breakfast in one recently - a pretty good all round experience. Yes, busy, even on a Sunday morning - and breakfast probably almost as cheap as you could do it at home.

Agree with the above, never understood what people have against Wetherspoons. They are what they are. A pub with reasonably priced drink, no frills, generally housed in a converted old building such as ex-banks, cinemas etc, and usually busy unlike some of the establishments being described here!

Oh and talking of shit pubs

, I went to the horse and plough after squash tuesday night, what an example of a fucking shit pub run by shit bar staff in shit surroundings the fucking place is a joke. free drink would attract people back.

Have to say I ate there twice last week at lunch time. Thought the food was OK for pub lunch time food, but the service was very quick and friendly. No complaints at all.

why is it cheaper to drink okells bitter in liverpool than it is on the island ?

generally pubs on the island have have no imagination and no idea on how to get punters in

no offers, no special deals, no discounts. lets say 15 pubs are quiet, then theres no atmosphere. might as well stay in.

more people in through the door, generates better atmosphere and then gets more in following.

It isn't. The price in H+B pubs in Liverpool is the same as can be found in some pubs on the Island.

However H+B sell to UK national distributors such as Beer Seller, Weatherspoons etc and they can sell the beer for what they see fit, ie supermarket loss leaders etc etc

Archived