Poor Pubs

Port Erin

I'd say weekends are quieter than they used to be, but I wouldn't say they were the best measure of how the industry is doing.

I'm no expert in running a pub, but I'd guess you need regular trade all days of the week. The few times I've been out mid week recently the pubs are dead to a point where when you have people over it's embarrasing to take them into town. I don't remember it being like that a few years ago, and most of the pubs must be running at a loss most evenings.

A bang on assessment. Any pub worth its salt would be doing (and needs) to do a decent weekly trade to turn a profit.

The pubs aren't as busy as they were a few years ago, and they must be running at a loss most evenings - v true.

No special offers, promotions or incentives...just keep ramping the price up and blame others for their predicament.

It's interesting to note that Weatherspoons' pubs are always busy, so they must be doing something right. Special offers, reasonable prices...something that is alien to H & B and Bushys over here.

As I've said in previous posts, they're in for a rude awakening sooner than they could ever imagine.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im well out of touch as a punter but have worked " behind the scenes" for many years. I was involved with the micro brewery install for Paul at the Shore, Laxey. Would a good micro brewery pub have any appeal in Douglas do you think?

Oh and talking of shit pubs

, I went to the horse and plough after squash tuesday night, what an example of a fucking shit pub run by shit bar staff in shit surroundings the fucking place is a joke. free drink would attract people back.

Have to say I ate there twice last week at lunch time. Thought the food was OK for pub lunch time food, but the service was very quick and friendly. No complaints at all.

They must have improved since six months ago then, as I ordered lunch from there and they took about 45 mins to produce some sandwiches - which I had to take back to work with me as I'd run out of time.

It's interesting to note that Weatherspoons' pubs are always busy, so they must be doing something right. Special offers, reasonable prices...something that is alien to H & B and Bushys over here.

No its not - most Wetherspoons pubs are dumps full of students and peasants who are too tight to drink anywhere else. I've never been in one that has any atmosphere or that I'd want to go back to. They're just piss-heads pubs full of people looking for cheap booze and a fight.

Even when they take over a good pub its a total craphole within a few weeks.

No its not - most Wetherspoons pubs are dumps full of students and peasants who are too tight to drink anywhere else. I've never been in one that has any atmosphere or that I'd want to go back to. They're just piss-heads pubs full of people looking for cheap booze and a fight.

Absolute nonsense. OK, it's not somewhere you would probably spend all night, but I've never been in one yet where i have felt threatened or that the place is full of peasants as you put it. In fact the most popular one in the centre of Glasgow is called The Counting House. It is very popular and you get everyone from businessmen in at lunchtime, middle aged people in after a bit of afternoon shopping, younger folk will start out there as a meeting point for a night out. In fact probably all the things a pub should be. It attracts all age groups.

Regardless of what you think of Wetherspoons, I think people automatically hate them because they are a chain and no other reason. If half the pubs on the island had the business sense and customer relations that Wetherspoons obviously have then there wouldn't be any need for a thread complaining about the pubs!

Attached is picture of the Wetherspoons dump I was referring to.

post-9152-1223757038_thumb.jpg

Not very pub-like, is it?

:)

Probably not the best promotional photo, the place is empty! :D

It was an old bank hence the name The Counting House. At least here there was no chance of the building being pulled down to make luxury apartments...

Absolute nonsense. OK, it's not somewhere you would probably spend all night, but I've never been in one yet where i have felt threatened or that the place is full of peasants as you put it. In fact the most popular one in the centre of Glasgow is called The Counting House. It is very popular and you get everyone from businessmen in at lunchtime, middle aged people in after a bit of afternoon shopping, younger folk will start out there as a meeting point for a night out. In fact probably all the things a pub should be. It attracts all age groups.

Regardless of what you think of Wetherspoons, I think people automatically hate them because they are a chain and no other reason. If half the pubs on the island had the business sense and customer relations that Wetherspoons obviously have then there wouldn't be any need for a thread complaining about the pubs!

Attached is picture of the Wetherspoons dump I was referring to.

I've been there and some other Wetherspoons around Scotlland and England and they are miles ahead of the H & B shit holes

The big difference between the chains such as Wetherspoons and the likes of H&B is that their establishments are run as a business. This means maintaining certain standards, staff training, mission statements, timely investment and so forth. As many have pointed out the difference really does show as well. Now if the H&B manager runs his operation along similar lines then they can compete. If they don't then they won't. Simple as.

Archived