Poor Pubs

Port Erin

The big difference between the chains such as Wetherspoons and the likes of H&B is that their establishments are run as a business. This means maintaining certain standards, staff training, mission statements, timely investment and so forth. As many have pointed out the difference really does show as well. Now if the H&B manager runs his operation along similar lines then they can compete. If they don't then they won't. Simple as.

A voice of reason - I couldn't put it better myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been confirmed that H & B have raised their prices this week to protect their profit margins, in light of wholesale price increases and a dwindling client base.

Well, only here could a brewery raise prices to protect their profit margins and bleat about the smoking ban affecting business.

Unbelievable. Put Tesco in charge to show these clowns how to run a business efficiently and make a decent profit.

Why do you think a grocer would make a good publican?

What would you do differently?

S

It's been confirmed that H & B have raised their prices this week to protect their profit margins, in light of wholesale price increases and a dwindling client base.

Well, only here could a brewery raise prices to protect their profit margins and bleat about the smoking ban affecting business.

Unbelievable. Put Tesco in charge to show these clowns how to run a business efficiently and make a decent profit.

Why do you think a grocer would make a good publican?

What would you do differently?

S

To quote PK:

"The big difference between the chains such as Wetherspoons and the likes of H&B is that their establishments are run as a business. This means maintaining certain standards, staff training, mission statements, timely investment and so forth. As many have pointed out the difference really does show as well. Now if the H&B manager runs his operation along similar lines then they can compete. If they don't then they won't."

Meanwhile, back to your question. Tesco run an efficient profitable business that caters for their market that they know very well, with special offers, trained staff, a mission statement, etc.

I would put special offers on to entice customers in to the pubs, maintain high standards, train the staff and invest in them and just give the public want they want at prices they can afford.

Look at the pubs that are actually busy and it tells you all you need to know.

The Bridge still insist their customers cannot drink from a glass if you sit down at their outside tables but you can swig from a bottle of WKD.

Another example of= if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Which I do. Usually home, Germany or Czech!

These plastic tumblers are then thrown away. What a waste.

I was involved with the micro brewery install for Paul at the Shore, Laxey. Would a good micro brewery pub have any appeal in Douglas do you think?

H&B rejected the plan to install a microbrewery in the quayside rebuild to maintain volume at the brewery and minimise operational costs.

As a local CAMRA member (www.isleofmancamra.org), I think that it would be a good option in central Douglas. The landlord at the Woody offered gravity real ale straight from the barrel in the gents bar a few months ago. The taste is better but different and he struggled to sell to the standard draught bitter drinkers.

Anyway the prices have gone down in the Woody and they have always been lower in the independents such The Sidings in Castletown, the Whitehouse & Creek in Peel and the Trafalgar in Ramsey!

I was involved with the micro brewery install for Paul at the Shore, Laxey. Would a good micro brewery pub have any appeal in Douglas do you think?

H&B rejected the plan to install a microbrewery in the quayside rebuild to maintain volume at the brewery and minimise operational costs.

As a local CAMRA member (www.isleofmancamra.org), I think that it would be a good option in central Douglas. The landlord at the Woody offered gravity real ale straight from the barrel in the gents bar a few months ago. The taste is better but different and he struggled to sell to the standard draught bitter drinkers.

Anyway the prices have gone down in the Woody and they have always been lower in the independents such The Sidings in Castletown, the Whitehouse & Creek in Peel and the Trafalgar in Ramsey!

I bet the independent pubs are doing a much better trade than H & B's pubs, simply because they are in tune and deliver what the punters want at a price that they are prepared to pay.

Good pubs will survive, and the rest will fall by the wayside.

The pubs are generally quieter now than they have ever been, and is it any wonder? Tesco must be shifting wagon loads of ale just now, ahead of leaner times ahead et al.

Archived