Poor Pubs

Port Erin

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I want to know is how a 4p/pint rise in duty in the recent UK budget became 11p at the pump

Funny that...I thought the same myself.

I understand 4p + VAT may come out at 5p - 6p but the greedy sods don't miss a trick and expect us to swallow the explanation about maintaining profit margins! :D

There are very few pubs that are doing any decent trade just now over here, except around pay day weekends. People only have so much to spend and times will get tougher.

As I said originally, H & B have no imagination or vision and their pubs are a disgrace.

They don't deserve loyal custom and it's high time we got some decent competition in to shake things up.

Perversly a look at the H&B website will show that they now own the CI Newsagents group which operate the Spar and Pickwick shops round the Island including one in Ramsey where they recently advertised to obtain an off-license.

thay own a lot more than just ci newsagents,

think thay own about 4-5 diffrent companys now,

Perversly a look at the H&B website will show that they now own the CI Newsagents group which operate the Spar and Pickwick shops round the Island including one in Ramsey where they recently advertised to obtain an off-license.

thay own a lot more than just ci newsagents,

think thay own about 4-5 diffrent companys now,

H & B have had to diversify their business. However, given their strategy and vision applied to their pubs and the way they have buggered that up, I suppose they have had to.

Inevitably the smoking ban will affect their trade in the short term, but people adapt and it hasn't overly affected trade in the UK.

They're just clutching at straws and blaming everyone apart from themselves for the downturn in business.

Bushys are guilty of using the same excuses as well. I love the way Martin spins 4p a pint (+VAT) = 10p a pint increase because the licensee needs to protect their margins! WTF is he on about? :lol: Talk about taking the piss and treating the paying public like mugs.

Face facts folks. The pubs and breweries can compete, it's just they can't be arsed.

Use some imagination and you can pull the punters in. It may not be easy, but they've had it too easy for too long.

Competition is badly needed over here.

i would say the 10p increase could well be the price increase in input cost, as thay have gone up 100%,

but yes is prob just to protect their margins

There is no use trying to protect profit margins by ramping prices up when your captive audience only has so much to spend.

Times will get harder over here the same as anywhere else, people will start tightening their belts and this isn't such a bad thing if it makes things a bit keener in the market place.

It's happening now, judging by how quiet the pubs are - and Martin at Bushys backs this up.

There are other ways to protect margins than constantly ramping the price up and treating the paying public like cash cows and mugs.

In the meantime, summer is hopefully around the corner and it's a knocking bet the ale will be flying out of the supermarkets by then and pubs will be quieter than ever.

What about profit margins then?

i would say the 10p increase could well be the price increase in input cost, as thay have gone up 100%,

But the increase in raw material and supply costs was covered when they increased the price only a month ago....

And.... as this is a DUTY increase, how can it be so much more than made in the budget?

But the increase in raw material and supply costs was covered when they increased the price only a month ago....

And.... as this is a DUTY increase, how can it be so much more than made in the budget?

Well said, and anyone in the street would agree with your reasoning. Only the breweries can try and put a spin on doubling the duty rise and expect us mugs to swallow it.

However, Joe Soap can only take so much and the constant price rises will eventually bite the breweries where it hurts.

The supermarkets must be doing a roaring trade over here, and who can blame the paying public for opting to stay in these days when a night out is fast becoming a luxury and not a very enjoyable one at that.

What happens though when the big shops stop selling,or are forced to stop selling there loss leader ales ,wines and spirits? As I see it there just trying to force out the pubs like they did with the small grosers shops and then prices will rise.

What happens though when the big shops stop selling,or are forced to stop selling there loss leader ales ,wines and spirits? As I see it there just trying to force out the pubs like they did with the small grosers shops and then prices will rise.

The price differential between supermarkets and pubs will keep rising due to the alcohol duty escalator introduced by the UK Chancellor to increase the price of alcohol, which will hit pubs harder.

This is especially more so when the breweries see it as an opportunity to double the duty rise and put it down to protecting margins! :lol:

Supermarkets are faced with stiff competition amongst each other, which will invariably keep prices keen - even if they are forced to stop selling alcohol as a loss leader.

The bottom line here is that there is no real competition on the Island, the breweries are lazy, they have no imagination, they have had it too good for too long and the public deserve better.

Aye maybe but the supermarkets will just be competing with each other but at a higher price, just like the petrol stations do now. IE a few pence in it.

If they can sell it at a higher price they will, its not for the customers benifit is it?

You forgot to include Wine Bars full of bad mannered BMW driving, Becks drinking, label wearing, premature ejaculating, wannabe yuppies

They were sad cunts in London 1986, so taking 22 years to emulate a bunch of one-dimensional wankers makes our local version look all the more ridiculous

Another compelling reason to stay at home with a takeaway and a pack of supermarket beer

With that attitude, it's probably best you're sat at home with your takeaway and four pack. You sound a right bundle of joy.

Are you really convinced that stereotype actually exists ?

It's all a bit "Harry Enfield" for me, I'm afraid. His stereotypes were always patently unfunny...

...GOMH*...

You forgot to include Wine Bars full of bad mannered BMW driving, Becks drinking, label wearing, premature ejaculating, wannabe yuppies

They were sad cunts in London 1986, so taking 22 years to emulate a bunch of one-dimensional wankers makes our local version look all the more ridiculous

Another compelling reason to stay at home with a takeaway and a pack of supermarket beer

With that attitude, it's probably best you're sat at home with your takeaway and four pack. You sound a right bundle of joy.

It's all a bit "Harry Enfield" for me, I'm afraid. His stereotypes were always patently unfunny...

...GOMH*...

Not been to Bar George recently then? :P

Well said.

Archived