Poor Pubs

Port Erin

That and of course C'est La Vie. Are places for the Athol Street Arseholes.

True enough, and this goes back to what I said originally...decent pubs have been transformed by way of 'refurbishments' to appeal to families, teenage alcopop drinking tossers and Wall Street wannabes.

Oh for an old fashioned boozer.

The pubs here are an absolute disgrace and we're expected to pay top whack for the privilege.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That and of course C'est La Vie. Are places for the Athol Street Arseholes.

Oh for an old fashioned boozer.

Get down to Ramsey then (you know, Chavcentral?) where nearly all the pubs are

"old fashioned boozers"

As are most of the customers.

Get down to Ramsey then (you know, Chavcentral?) where nearly all the pubs are

"old fashioned boozers"

As are most of the customers.

Ramsey does have some good pubs, I have to say.

However, it is Chav Central, it's rough, it has a big drugs problem and it's not worth the effort to go there for a night out.

I see The Waterloo has now gone.

I wonder where the next casualty will fee? Probably The Clarendon I reckon

They've applied to knock down and rebuild the Clarry and the farmers shop next door, probably including the douglas too.

Not exactly beauty spots at the moment, are they?

clar.jpg

Ah but theres history for the taking, look to the pavement in front and see the original cobble kerbs fron the barbary coast days, probably he last bits of the narow sreets of owl douglas are here. The Duke of Athol lived in the Douglas building, as did the first crown custom officer, William Bligh met his wife there.

Plus , most importantly , my first pub drink was in the rear bar of the Claree [worthy over bitter], all good reasons to retain this last little bit of quayside Douglas.

Cheers M, I knew none of that. Can you tell anymore?

H & B don't give a flying fuck about our culture and heritage. It all boils down to profits, or lack of them, as the case will be going forward.

What they have done to some of the pubs by way of 'refurbishments' is a crime.

Having said that though, one or two refurbishments have been done well (Railway springs to mind), but these outlets are let down by poor management, service and standards.

Poor service....

With a group of friends in the Prospect on Thursday. Not particularly busy and there even seemed to be more bar staff than customers waiting to be served but there was that awful feeling of trying to catch one of the bar staff's attention as they dreamily contemplated the filling pints, presumably not caring or not wanting to catch anyone's eye. And then the inevitable "who's next?" came. I felt like saying "Fuck it . . . I'm off home".

We pay top dollar prices and that includes service. On the Island we rarely get it.

The brewery really could do with training their staff, but in a typical Manx Monopoly situation why should they bother?

H & B don't give a flying fuck about our culture and heritage. It all boils down to profits, or lack of them, as the case will be going forward.

Having said that though, one or two refurbishments have been done well (Railway springs to mind), but these outlets are let down by poor management, service and standards.

Well said...disagree about the Railway though. Designed by chimps in my opinion...if someone can explain the 'style' to me I'd be grateful.

Well said...disagree about the Railway though. Designed by chimps in my opinion...if someone can explain the 'style' to me I'd be grateful.

The Railway doesn't look very refurbished to me. Last time I was in there, a load of blokes on motorbikes were doing donuts. :P

Poor service....

With a group of friends in the Prospect on Thursday. Not particularly busy and there even seemed to be more bar staff than customers waiting to be served but there was that awful feeling of trying to catch one of the bar staff's attention as they dreamily contemplated the filling pints, presumably not caring or not wanting to catch anyone's eye. And then the inevitable "who's next?" came. I felt like saying "Fuck it . . . I'm off home".

We pay top dollar prices and that includes service. On the Island we rarely get it.

The brewery really could do with training their staff, but in a typical Manx Monopoly situation why should they bother?

I couldn't put it better myself.

Funny you should mention The Prospect. I've had the same problem myself and I just to meet up there with a couple of the lads for a warm up before heading for a lap, but knocked it on the head because of the sloppy service and couldn't care less attitudes of the staff.

Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course in many pubs nowadays.

Just another reason for not going out as much. If they can't be arsed, why should we?

We badly need competition over here.

You forgot to include Wine Bars full of bad mannered BMW driving, Becks drinking, label wearing, premature ejaculating, wannabe yuppies

They were sad cunts in London 1986, so taking 22 years to emulate a bunch of one-dimensional wankers makes our local version look all the more ridiculous

Another compelling reason to stay at home with a takeaway and a pack of supermarket beer

With that attitude, it's probably best you're sat at home with your takeaway and four pack. You sound a right bundle of joy.

Are you really convinced that stereotype actually exists ?

It's all a bit "Harry Enfield" for me, I'm afraid. His stereotypes were always patently unfunny...

...GOMH*...

Not been to Bar George recently then? :P

Yes. All the time. Great wine. Easy to get served. Nice, pleasant staff.

And if wearing a suit is some sort of "wannabee" crime, then the world is well and truly fucked.

Then again...let's not ruin anyones idea of cliche.

Fuck knows they'd actually have to form their own opinion once in a while.

Ignorance truly is bliss for the masses, it appears...

...GOMH*...

You forgot to include Wine Bars full of bad mannered BMW driving, Becks drinking, label wearing, premature ejaculating, wannabe yuppies

They were sad cunts in London 1986, so taking 22 years to emulate a bunch of one-dimensional wankers makes our local version look all the more ridiculous

Another compelling reason to stay at home with a takeaway and a pack of supermarket beer

With that attitude, it's probably best you're sat at home with your takeaway and four pack. You sound a right bundle of joy.

Are you really convinced that stereotype actually exists ?

It's all a bit "Harry Enfield" for me, I'm afraid. His stereotypes were always patently unfunny...

...GOMH*...

Not been to Bar George recently then? :P

Yes. All the time. Great wine. Easy to get served. Nice, pleasant staff.

And if wearing a suit is some sort of "wannabee" crime, then the world is well and truly fucked.

Then again...let's not ruin anyones idea of cliche.

Fuck knows they'd actually have to form their own opinion once in a while.

Ignorance truly is bliss for the masses, it appears...

...GOMH*...

Bar George isn't even a pub or wine bar...it's just a smoky, noisy barn with no atmosphere that appeals to gullible, shallow tossers with more money than sense.

Bar George isn't even a pub or wine bar...it's just a smoky, noisy hole with no atmosphere that appeals to gullible, shallow tossers with more money than sense.

I know its great looking down on you scruffy southern tossers from our position of lofty self-importance.

the other night i was the designated driver as i could'nt really afford to get drunk,though it might save some money but to my surprise the brewery's are taking the piss with none alcoholic drinks.

£1.20 for a can of coke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is going on here? the same can would cost 40-50p tops in a shop and absolutely a lot less for the brewery to purchase, but no they have to take the piss on all avenues.

i repeat my earlier statement:

Fuck the pub

here's an idea open a club with lots of pre-reserved booths each with a small fridge, each party pays an entry fee and brings their own booze, the club sells snack style food and puts on a decent (by which i mean not anyone working in a current club on the island) DJ. strict door policy keeps out the wankers/drugs and anyone under 25.

this would surely be a success on the island which has never has anything approaching a good club in the entire time I've been out drinking

the other night i was the designated driver as i could'nt really afford to get drunk,though it might save some money but to my surprise the brewery's are taking the piss with none alcoholic drinks.

£1.20 for a can of coke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same experience last week. Bought a pint for a mate and a pint of lemonade and lime for me as i was not drinking. The lemonade and lime was about 50p more expensive than the pint.

Archived