Poor Pubs

Port Erin

I know its great looking down on you scruffy southern tossers from our position of lofty self-importance.

I actually live in Douglas now but I can't be arsed changing my sign on, you twat.

Oh, BTW, I don't suppose you drink in Bar George by any chance?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
here's an idea open a club with lots of pre-reserved booths each with a small fridge, each party pays an entry fee and brings their own booze, the club sells snack style food and puts on a decent (by which i mean not anyone working in a current club on the island) DJ. strict door policy keeps out the wankers/drugs and anyone under 25.

this would surely be a success on the island which has never has anything approaching a good club in the entire time I've been out drinking

I knew of a club in the UK that did something similar ages back. I think it was because they'd been denied a license to serve alcohol - you paid up front to get in, and brought your own booze with you - no booths or little fridges mind. The only downside is that I think you either need a fairly large club, or high entry fees to make it work.

Cheers M, I knew none of that. Can you tell anymore?

That little bit is a slice of Lower Douglas prior to the demolitions and the "Shanghai" off to Pulrose etc.You can just make out the cobble kerb in the photo about 4 ft from the terrace, a small pavement then more pubs and shops where the silver car stands, have a we swally down for a skeet, it hairy how narrow strets were, still with the angled stones on the building corners to keep off the cart wheel hubs..

Some of the old pics of Douglas show the rear of the Douglas giving you a benchmark for visualising it as was.

Opposite the rear of the Douglas parallel to the Albert was a merchants house, grand affair and its portico is now the doorway, bottom of Crellins Hill for the museum, lovely stuff but this is the last of the fishing, fighting and flucking side of old Doolish.----be nice to keep something :(

I mean ffs William Bligh sailed from the front of the Douglas with a little shite relative of his bosses, Fletcher Chrisitian, The yanks could get a theme park from that alone.

There used to be the most excellent plan on the wall of Harry's cafe. It was a street plan of the entire area circa 1860 with the proposed new Victoria Street/Lord street overlaid on it---riveting. Harry may still have it for display in his Internet Cafe in Victoria Street.

Ive traced my shower back to the 1840's ish in that area around St Barnabas Square [ a florist ffs :rolleyes: ]----must have been really Dickensian

I mean ffs William Bligh sailed from the front of the Douglas with a little shite relative of his bosses, Fletcher Chrisitian, The yanks could get a theme park from that alone.

So true. I did a tour of boston a while ago, and it was amazing how much they can milk the whole tea party thing. Dram school hopefuls faithfully re-enacting the fucker every hour for tourists on a full replica ship in the harbour.

the other night i was the designated driver as i could'nt really afford to get drunk,though it might save some money but to my surprise the brewery's are taking the piss with none alcoholic drinks.

£1.20 for a can of coke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is going on here? the same can would cost 40-50p tops in a shop and absolutely a lot less for the brewery to purchase, but no they have to take the piss on all avenues.

As is done across - A designated driver should be able to hand the vehicle keys over and in return either be given vouchers for or free soft drinks for the evening. A simple procedure which won't cost the earth and has obvious benefits.

Would the Brewery care to comment as to why this is not done automatically here?

the other night i was the designated driver as i could'nt really afford to get drunk,though it might save some money but to my surprise the brewery's are taking the piss with none alcoholic drinks.

£1.20 for a can of coke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is going on here? the same can would cost 40-50p tops in a shop and absolutely a lot less for the brewery to purchase, but no they have to take the piss on all avenues.

As is done across - A designated driver should be able to hand the vehicle keys over and in return either be given vouchers for or free soft drinks for the evening. A simple procedure which won't cost the earth and has obvious benefits.

Would the Brewery care to comment as to why this is not done automatically here?

That would be too imaginative and progressive for H & B to introduce here. As 'bluemonday' says, they have to take the piss on all fronts and as I've said, it will come round and bite them when it hurts sooner rather than later.

Summer is hopefully round the corner, the smoking ban kicks in soon and the pubs bleat on that they can't compete. FFS - use some imagination and pick up a few ideas from the UK pubs (special offers on food for a start). I will never pay the best part of £5 for a potato, and if pubs in Liverpool can do jacket potatoes with various fillings for £2.25, it can be done here (but the cost of freight would be used to prevent that happening).

The pubs and retailers here have had it too good for too long, and they will find things will get a lot tougher in the foreseeable future.

The Banks have more or less frozen recruitment UFN because of the credit crunch, people are tightening their belts and we are in for tougher times ahead. The first thing to take a hit is leisure and hospitality, and you can expect to see quiet pubs a lot more often this year.

Cheers M, I knew none of that. Can you tell anymore?

That little bit is a slice of Lower Douglas prior to the demolitions and the "Shanghai" off to Pulrose etc.You can just make out the cobble kerb in the photo about 4 ft from the terrace, a small pavement then more pubs and shops where the silver car stands, have a we swally down for a skeet, it hairy how narrow strets were, still with the angled stones on the building corners to keep off the cart wheel hubs..

Some of the old pics of Douglas show the rear of the Douglas giving you a benchmark for visualising it as was.

Opposite the rear of the Douglas parallel to the Albert was a merchants house, grand affair and its portico is now the doorway, bottom of Crellins Hill for the museum, lovely stuff but this is the last of the fishing, fighting and flucking side of old Doolish.----be nice to keep something :(

If it's so historical, then we definitely need more pics here :)

DouglasHotel01.jpg

DouglasHotel02.jpg

DouglasHotel03.jpg

DouglasHotel04.jpg

DouglasHotel05.jpg

DouglasHotel06.jpg

That's how narrow the streets were? Blimey..not much space to move there...

DouglasHotel07.jpg

DouglasHotel08.jpg

Might try and get a few inside ones during the week - before it's all gone and demolished...

Great shots :) Well done Amadeus, a town for skinny people in them thar days :rolleyes:

Im not relly expert but that front shot of the Douglas looks to be a classical Georgian style and, whereas we have many great Victorian edifices, we have few of this type and style, maybe Castletown but not Douglas, shame to see it go, there is so little left of the original quay

Great shots :) Well done Amadeus, a town for skinny people in them thar days :rolleyes:

Im not relly expert but that front shot of the Douglas looks to be a classical Georgian style and, whereas we have many great Victorian edifices, we have few of this type and style, maybe Castletown but not Douglas, shame to see it go, there is so little left of the original quay

Its classic Georgian - was it not built around 1750 or so, I forget now.

Thanks for the pics amadeus but its depressing to see what a dump that area looks today.

Just got home from a quiet night down town for a few beers. All the pubs closed at 10.30. I was in the Rovers and there was lots of sober folk coming in for a beer only to be told " we're shut".

Why I wondered when tomorrow I don't have to work; why not open until midnight. Pubs bleat that takings are down so why not open later on a day like today.

A pint of bitter was £ 2.20 but a friend complained that a pint of Carling is now £3.05 at the Cat, Phew!!

some of the history of Douglas pubs is on www.manxnotebook.com/gazateer/inns/do.htm

The Douglas was originally built by an Uster merchant, Black, in 1758 who during the short panic after the Revestment (1765) sold it cheaply, eventually it passed to the Duke of Athol who allocated it to his seneschal, P.J. Heywood. After Heywood's death his widow remained there until 1791 after which the Duke briefly used it as his Douglas Residence before moving to Port-e-Chree and then Castle Mona. It then became the Custom House but on construction of a new Custom House further down the pier it became an inn. In 1862 held a licence as Old Custom House Inn.

The strange shape of the block was that it fitted into the gaps left by the Lords Cellar (warehouse) that stood behind it (the whole block was once the Lord's cellars stables etc which is why the Douglas used to have a strange Lords rent ) - this is about the only bit of old Douglas left after the clearances of 1897 + the 1930's

some of the history of Douglas pubs is on www.manxnotebook.com/gazateer/inns/do.htm

The Douglas was originally built by an Uster merchant, Black, in 1758 who during the short panic after the Revestment (1765) sold it cheaply, eventually it passed to the Duke of Athol who allocated it to his seneschal, P.J. Heywood. After Heywood's death his widow remained there until 1791 after which the Duke briefly used it as his Douglas Residence before moving to Port-e-Chree and then Castle Mona. It then became the Custom House but on construction of a new Custom House further down the pier it became an inn. In 1862 held a licence as Old Custom House Inn.

The strange shape of the block was that it fitted into the gaps left by the Lords Cellar (warehouse) that stood behind it (the whole block was once the Lord's cellars stables etc which is why the Douglas used to have a strange Lords rent ) - this is about the only bit of old Douglas left after the clearances of 1897 + the 1930's

Lovely post :) by coincedence the Dook bought Tromode Mansion, Port e Chee from my distant relative [Patrick Tobin] of middle farm, Kewague. His town merchant house was in John Street, the ex Scotts Bistro, now an Italian resterunt i think, another pearl in the heart of Douglas.

When the Douglas was the Custom House William Bligh who was, i think, on half pay and employed by the Chrisitans, met the daughter of the Custom Officer, hence the marriage in Onchan Church.

A much maligned man Billy Bligh, a fine seaman and on of the finest navigators ever.

Archived