Poor Pubs

Port Erin

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone using a manxforums.com name as "Port Erin" who gobs off about knowing pubs but who was too young to have known "The Eagle" or "The Port" or even to know why the "Snake Pit" was so called.

Heh, didn't even know the Bay in Port Erin when Connie was serving. ya give these wee kiddie-winks a computer and that there Internet and they gob-off and gob-off like they owned the place.

The manxforums boy "Port Erin" surely still shites yella.

I've drank in pubs long enough to know what constitutes a good pub and what doesn't.

No doubt you think The Haven and the Snake Pit at The Falcon's Crust have what it takes to make a good pub. The Haven is full of chavs and the Snake Pit isn't much better. Port Erin for a night out is beyond desperation, and the locals deserve so much better.

Someone using a manxforums.com name as "Port Erin" who gobs off about knowing pubs but who was too young to have known "The Eagle" or "The Port" or even to know why the "Snake Pit" was so called.

Heh, didn't even know the Bay in Port Erin when Connie was serving. ya give these wee kiddie-winks a computer and that there Internet and they gob-off and gob-off like they owned the place.

A typical, narrow minded, ignorant post from someone who has no real grasp of the English language.

I've drank in pubs long enough to know what constitutes a good pub and what doesn't.

No doubt you think The Haven and the Snake Pit at The Falcon's Crust have what it takes to make a good pub. The Haven is full of chavs and the Snake Pit isn't much better. Port Erin for a night out is beyond desperation, and the locals deserve so much better.

I seem to manage, stop bloody moaning and get out more.

A typical, narrow minded, ignorant post from someone who has no real grasp of the English language.

You waited five days to bump this thread with that? Because nobody replied to your last comment?

I see Martin Brunschweiller from Bushys is appealing to people to use the local pubs or lose it, as they are 'up against it' and are facing difficulties.

This is from someone who saw the recent UK Budget duty increase of 4p + VAT = 5p a pint increase as an opportunity to double it, and say the licensee needs to protect their margins. :lol:

As I've said all along, people are not only sick of being fleeced by greedy breweries but we are facing tougher times ahead. People have higher priorities and other calls on their money, and wages are not keeping up with the rising cost of living.

We all like a night out, but it's a bloody expensive pastime nowadays.

Charity begins at home.

I see Martin Brunschweiller from Bushys is appealing to people to use the local pubs or lose it, as they are 'up against it' and are facing difficulties.

Charity begins at home.

Err .. but Martin hasn't put his prices up. Wrong target.

Charity begins at home.

Err .. but Martin hasn't put his prices up. Wrong target.

He put his prices up fairly recently by 10p a pint before the UK Budget, which to be fair, he only puts the price up usually once a year (unlike H & B who raise their prices at least 4 times a year).

I can only surmise that he has been forced to follow suit in line with the recent UK Budget, but I can't vouch for it because I haven't drank in his pubs recently.

He did say at the time that the price of a pint will have to rise by about 10p a pint to protect the licensee's margins, despite the duty only going up by 4p + VAT = 5p.

That to me is just a piss take in a shrinking market.

There are a fair few pubs for sale on the Island at the moment, a quick search came up with:

The Waterfall, Glen Maye.

The Bay View, Port St Mary.

The Marine, Peel (leasehold)

The Groudle (now a restaurant?)

The Gingerhall (that was last time I looked, not sure of its status now)

The Farmers Arms, St Johns.

It used to be rare to see a pub for sale and they were often sold before coming onto the open market.

Great pubs of the past:

Falcon hotel Douglas, Tartan Bar at the front and the Zodiac room at the back

The Regent in Regent St, always filthy and with an outside gents. but they would serve me pints of bitter when I was 15

The Grosvenor in Athol St, full of dodgy types both rich & poor

All time favourite: The Dogs Home in Drumgold St, was in there once during the mushroom season and the walls turned dayglo red

Nobody batted an eyelid

All these were truly great pubs which had a richness & diversity unknown in the chavvy TV screened artificial offerings around today, but they were all gone by the end of the 80s

So I wouldn't hold out much hope for pubs now

• 4 months later...
The Duke of Athol lived in the Douglas building, as did the first crown custom officer, William Bligh met his wife there.

Plus , most importantly , my first pub drink was in the rear bar of the Claree [worthy over bitter], all good reasons to retain this last little bit of quayside Douglas.

Brewery flats plan refused

HERON & Brearley Ltd has been refused permission to create five apartments in Douglas.

The company submitted plans (08/132 and 08/133) to alter buildings on North Quay.

They had hoped to redevelop the Douglas Hotel, which included the former IoM Farmers premises, and the Clarendon Hotel, to include five self-contained apartments.

The government planning committee refused permission because it wouldn't protect or enhance the registered building's character and there wasn't enough evidence to justify the renovation.

Hm..good or a bad thing? Wonder what they'll do with it now...

Overpriced drinks are generally the least of the problems that our pubs have, I'd focus more on the fucking dreadful food that seems to be the standard fare, and also the eye-wateringly bad service.

You're better off going down to the eat-in bit of the Chartroom for some decent fish and chips as opposed to running the gauntlet of paying £10 for some inadequately re-heated Jack Frost crap.

Archived