Poor Pubs

Port Erin

Hm..good or a bad thing? Wonder what they'll do with it now...

In this region of S E England there used to be outbreaks of fire in those buildings refused planning permission, usually 18C or earlier - after which strangely enough the refused building appeared.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the 'upgraded and improved' North Quay is so dreary and dead now that I wonder who would ever want to live down there, may as well turn it into a car park !

Yes but they have deliberately made it totally characterless to appeal to the totally characterless people who will be buying the Dandara flats on Lake Road (that's if anyone will actually be living in them after they have been purchased)

the 'upgraded and improved' North Quay is so dreary and dead now that I wonder who would ever want to live down there, may as well turn it into a car park !

Yes but they have deliberately made it totally characterless to appeal to the totally characterless people who will be buying the Dandara flats on Lake Road (that's if anyone will actually be living in them after they have been purchased)

wouldn't you think they would put that on hold until they sold all the flats on the prom, sounds like a lot of potential buyers may have abandoned their deposits and walked away from that development

maybe EB's would make more money as a car park

wouldn't you think they would put that on hold until they sold all the flats on the prom, sounds like a lot of potential buyers may have abandoned their deposits and walked away from that development

maybe EB's would make more money as a car park

To be fair though its happening all over the UK. I hear another large firm over here has called a halt to everything in the last few days.

In this region of S E England there used to be outbreaks of fire in those buildings refused planning permission, usually 18C or earlier - after which strangely enough the refused building appeared.

I'm pretty sure young Nicholas is inside and has no interests in the island anyway.

I'm pretty sure young Nicholas is inside and has no interests in the island anyway.

what is the normal price of apint in the iom.

Overpriced drinks are generally the least of the problems that our pubs have, I'd focus more on the fucking dreadful food that seems to be the standard fare, and also the eye-wateringly bad service.

You're better off going down to the eat-in bit of the Chartroom for some decent fish and chips as opposed to running the gauntlet of paying £10 for some inadequately re-heated Jack Frost crap.

spot on appraisal ! it is painful to watch staff in most food places here. we're also sadly lacking a decent gastro pub, i'd even pay london prices, ie 'maze' prices , which are cheaper than most so called 'top' restaurants here!

Gastro pubs? Pah. Go to a restaurant if you want real food.

bizarre statement. no real food in pubs concept that i aint gettin . some people prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of a pub environment, but still want to enjoy/sample, top quality local, fresh produce cooked to a high standard. with service to match (hoepfully)

bizarre statement. no real food in pubs concept that i aint gettin . some people prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of a pub environment, but still want to enjoy/sample, top quality local, fresh produce cooked to a high standard. with service to match (hoepfully)

I fully understand where she is coming from. In my opinion gastro pubs are just a con - if you want top quality fresh produce cooked to a high standard then go to a resturant. The atmosphere is probably better there as well. Gastro pubs are just for yuppies to show off in - the recession will kill off most of them as their patrons won't be able to swank around with borrowed cash burning holes in their pockets.

The prime example is the Smug and Lettuce - a pub that sells over priced food and over priced beer but you feel so much better about yourself eating there.

I fully understand where she is coming from. In my opinion gastro pubs are just a con - if you want top quality fresh produce cooked to a high standard then go to a resturant. The atmosphere is probably better there as well. Gastro pubs are just for yuppies to show off in - the recession will kill off most of them as their patrons won't be able to swank around with borrowed cash burning holes in their pockets.

The prime example is the Smug and Lettuce - a pub that sells over priced food and over priced beer but you feel so much better about yourself eating there.

complete codswollop! slug(smug) and lettuce aint a gastropub ! its prepackaged microwaved shite, and their prices are not that much higher than other pubs, but the quality aint any higher either.

take a gander at the yew tree for example, £15 for 2 courses, thats wat you'd pay here in a modest restaurant/expensive bar.

complete codswollop! slug(smug) and lettuce aint a gastropub !

Er .. go on the internet that's what the Smug and Lettuce chain claims it is. Although I'd prefer one food critics assessment of the chain as - "A Wetherspoons for people who think they're better than everyone else"

take a gander at the yew tree for example, £15 for 2 courses

Yes but the air fare and travel costs to Henley on Thames puts it off my lunch list.

we're also sadly lacking a decent gastro pub, i'd even pay london prices, ie 'maze' prices , which are cheaper than most so called 'top' restaurants here!

Only the English could invent a phrase like 'gastro pub' - a good dose of gastro enteritis in a pub does not appeal to me one bit - nor does all that brushed steel, modern wood finish alcopops and hooray Henries trying to pretend they are successful.

Decent company, good craic, no television, decent whatever you're drinking and a welcoming atmosphere - clean toilets help too.

Gastro!!!my God....pity the poor English. No wonder they lost the Empire.

Archived