[BBC News] Visit strengthens Scottish links

Newsbot

Both communities hate the English - they have that in common.

What utter nonsense.

It was a bit of a generalisation, but there are plenty of Manx, Scottish, Irish and Welsh who do not like the English. I wonder why!

I agree. The current government are courting the Scots and also courting the Nordic countries with new tax agreements etc. Its the logical diversification away from our over reliance on the UK and moving back towards alliances with our historical allies and links. Good planning I say.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both communities hate the English - they have that in common.

What utter nonsense.

It was a bit of a generalisation, but there are plenty of Manx, Scottish, Irish and Welsh who do not like the English. I wonder why!

I'm sorry, but are you saying that every English man, woman and child is disliked by at least yourself? :angry:

If the topic is why, then explain yourself!

If its politics, religion, races and goodness however many different topics, then just say why you dislike them so much!

I've got to say that this is making my blood boil with so called generalisation............ :angry::angry::angry:

Our english stopovers are a valued addition to our Island,bleating about immigration and the like.Its just a shame their footy team didnt qualify for the euro's,I will miss seeing the flags fluttering on the cars

I'm sorry, but are you saying that every English man, woman and child is disliked by at least yourself? :angry:

If the topic is why, then explain yourself!

If its politics, religion, races and goodness however many different topics, then just say why you dislike them so much!

I've got to say that this is making my blood boil with so called generalisation............

manxy - I don't think 'not like the English' means disliking every English man woman and child. Rather in the context I would assume it means dislike of historic oppressions by 'the English' administration in these parts. One hears discussion about how people do not like things 'the Americans' do in their foreign policy - same kind of thing.

manxy I'm surprised you need to have it spelt out to you why there should be a dislike of England's behaviour towards these 'inner colonies'. I'd have thought it would be fairly self-explanatory. Is it lack of awareness of history and England's record of subjugation of these places? BTW I don't hate the English - but that's no reason to want to be ruled by them or to dislike being put under their subjugation.

IMO if anything, under the circumstances, expressing a dislike of English colonial oppression is a healthy sign, and much better than 'identification with the aggressor' which is symptomatic of cultural trauma.

That shouldn't mean getting all wound up over old historic grievances such as what the English did at the Battle of Ronaldway in 1275 :angry:. The English are a lot better behaved today :). I think most people see that, and realise that individual English are not responsible either, which is why there weren't violent attacks on English people after screenings of Braveheart.

Where I do think your concern and ire is justified is if this is being used to agitate divisions between Islanders - e.g. Manks vs. 'comeovers'. IMO that undermines cohesiveness, inclusiveness and equality and is not a good thing. 'Comeovers' have always been a valued part of Manks society - Heywoods, La Mothes etc. were not 'native Manks' - and they too can be Manx first and foremost, just as much as Americans can still be American while celebrating St Patricks Day.

That shouldn't mean getting all wound up over old historic grievances such as what the English did at the Battle of Ronaldway in 1275 :angry:. The English are a lot better behaved today :).

Surely you mean what the Scottish did at the battle of Ronaldsway.

That shouldn't mean getting all wound up over old historic grievances such as what the English did at the Battle of Ronaldway in 1275 :angry:. The English are a lot better behaved today :).

Surely you mean what the Scottish did at the battle of Ronaldsway.

No. I mean the English. It was a false flag operation. de Vesci was one of Edward I's closest friends and his most trusted general. Strategically it was very sound and Edward I understood strategic importance of IoM in logistics for future conquest of Wales and Scotland. It was very smart despite the atrocity of the massacre during a truce. It also shows how Edward I was planning conquest of Wales and then Scotland from time of his return with de Vesci from the Crusades.

Hah! If true, and I'm yet to be convinced that it is, then fair play to those cheeky English.

But a bit unfair on the poor old Scots who coped the blame. There seems to have been a bit of dislike of Scots in IoM - I doubt this is the only reason, but might have contributed to this. Edward I might have been completely unscrupulous at times, but you've got to admire him for being masterfully brilliant and give him credit for that - probably the smartest king England's ever had. Scheming and military strategy aside, in long term European context, his idea of creating 'Great Britain' was itself far-sighted and incredibly astute.

I'm Scottish and proud to be. The majority of my family are English, and I am proud of them.

In May last year I was on my annual fishing trip in Sutherland, Scotland, and, at our local hotel we met a young newly married couple who were on their honeymoon having saved for " ages and ages " according to the Groom - who, as far as I can recall was 23 years old and his wife was 22.

Anyway, they were on their honeymoon and the Groom, on the third night of their 5 night stay at the hotel (which is in a very remote and very beautiful part of Scotland, mentioned to another guest of the hotel, that they had lost a child "still-born" about four months previous to their wedding and that they, despite not having much money, wanted to have some time together to re-coup and draw breath.

On the morning of the couples departure (by taxi to Inverness at a cost of £80.00 - the hotel is 90 minutes drive from Inverness !), the young ENGLISH couple were advised that there was no hotel bill to pay !, the "slate" for their drinks and meals for the last five days had been "taken care of", and, the taxi, which they had arranged to take them to the train station in Inverness, was now taking them back to Warrington, Cheshire, FREE. And, when the taxi driver dropped them home in Warrington, he gave them an envelope containing £1800.00 (unfortunately in Bank of Scotland notes ! - anyway, I'm sure they were able to exchange them at the local ENGLISH bank !).

Now, to put things in perspective, the local hotel on a "busy" night has 8 or 9 patrons !.

I don't know where this "Scots hate English" shite comes from, but I have never experienced it first hand ( except for the usual alcohol fuelled songs and chants at football and rugby games ! ), but, that's it.

Now, if anyone can introduce me to a Scotsman who actually "HATES" English people, I will eat my kilt, because, in my experience, they just don't exist. In my opinion and experience, it is just a media fantasy designed to separate and divide and keep us all from dealing with the real issues that the UK/GB/British Isles or whatever title you want to suggest must deal with, namely, shite health service, Police with their hands tied behind their backs, useless courts and hopeless future for the youngsters.

I will gladly discuss any of the above at Amber next Saturday !, can't wait !, and if you are buying, I'll have a Whisky and ice !.

Big - Mark.

I hope someone told her that one day we will get Scotland back.

To start with I'd begin with getting IoM back.

SNPs strongest support comes from the bits of Scotland that were part of the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles - something she is no doubt well aware of. In some parts there is closer identification with 'The Isles' than with Scotland. How 'we' deal with the UK and EU is a curious phrase. I certainly think the idea of a 'Sodor and Man' EU region could be interesting - but perhaps these nationalists might have something else in mind when talking about cultural and political links.

It was also part of Dalriada before that.

I frequently visit Scotland - and am usually mistaken for an Englishman, but I've always found the people particularly friendly. It is idiotic to say the Scottish or Manx or Welsh hate the English.

What irritates is the nationalism of the English media. Prime example is the BBC - willing to spend forking out a fortune to make sure every England football game is on terrestial TV, but not one Scotland game, then shelling out £200,000,000 on Formula One when it looks like an Englishman will win - etc, etc.

The real nastiness seems pretty much one way to me and is generated by the English media. Scotland gets the worst of it because they are the biggest target, but the Welsh, Manx, Irish or French aren't exactly celebrated by the English media either - but that is not to say that all English people are thick, ignorant, forelock tugging, Johnny Foreigner hating bigots - I just think that the English media pander to that element in English society.

Archived