Road Closures

Minxie

Click for further details

GOVERNOR'S Bridge roundabout . . .

Will be closed to traffic in all directions for a five-week period from 9.30am on Tuesday, March 25, until Monday April 28. This will enable the new roundabout to be constructed, a partial road closure not being considered practical.

The A18 Bemahague Road will be closed from the Nook bend down to Governor's Bridge. Motorists travelling to and from the mountain should use Johnny Watterson's Lane and Ballanard Road.

The A2 Governor's Road will be closed from its junction with Blackberry Lane to Governor's Bridge. Motorists travelling from Onchan towards Douglas along Governor's Road will need to use Summerhill and Queen's Promenade

And the A2 will also be closed from Victoria Road roundabout to Governor's Bridge roundabout. Motorists travelling up Victoria Road will only be able to turn left onto Glencrutchery Road and vice versa.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this one......

I did learn some wicked shortcuts through Willaston when they had the Nook closed a few weeks ago, I suspect more people will catch on this time around though.

I'd suggest that if you're doing Ramsey-Douglas and can start early, then do so, go straight through to Onchan and down to the prom and in that way - it's very painless before 8am.

One thing I've not managed to adequately understand yet, is what all this work is ultimately going to achieve? I know the Nook is a bit narrow, but beyond that the dual roundabout system has always worked pretty well IMO. Wouldn't simply widening the Nook have been sufficient?

One thing I've not managed to adequately understand yet, is what all this work is ultimately going to achieve? I know the Nook is a bit narrow, but beyond that the dual roundabout system has always worked pretty well IMO. Wouldn't simply widening the Nook have been sufficient?

Just what you say, the road was too narrow.

I did learn some wicked shortcuts through Willaston when they had the Nook closed a few weeks ago, I suspect more people will catch on this time around though.

I'd suggest that if you're doing Ramsey-Douglas and can start early, then do so, go straight through to Onchan and down to the prom and in that way - it's very painless before 8am.

Everyone crammed down onto the promenade will be interesting.... unfortunately, I will be one of them.

My early morning: Leave house at 7:45am... essential drive into Douglas for wife, drive back up into Onchan to drop baby off at child minder, and then drive into Douglas for work. Normally - a very simple, quick journey. But with the closure of this little piece of road, I have to first off drive through willaston, then on the up to Onchan.. go along the promenade, and then back along the promenade at 8:30am (when traffic hits!) after dropping off the baby.

Not looking forward to that one.

surely it would be more effective and less of a disruption if the dot focused on one project at a time instead of digging up every main road in and out of Douglas at the same time.

these roadworks will now take longer and no doubt need re-doing in a years time anyway. Genius

Everyone crammed down onto the promenade will be interesting.... unfortunately, I will be one of them.

I'll be thinking of you as I walk past....or at least I would if I wasn't off work for the next two weeks, horay!

As sarac says, loads of people off for easter hollies and the schools being out should make this fairly painless.

I'll be thinking of you as I walk past....or at least I would if I wasn't off work for the next two weeks, horay!

As sarac says, loads of people off for easter hollies and the schools being out should make this fairly painless.

Well... in a small way maybe. Easter Hols is 2 weeks.... this goes on for 3 weeks longer.

3 weeks of mayhem.

My early morning: Leave house at 7:45am... essential drive into Douglas for wife, drive back up into Onchan to drop baby off at child minder, and then drive into Douglas for work. Normally - a very simple, quick journey. But with the closure of this little piece of road, I have to first off drive through willaston, then on the up to Onchan.. go along the promenade, and then back along the promenade at 8:30am (when traffic hits!) after dropping off the baby.

Not looking forward to that one.

As others have said, it only needed a short section of the existing road to be widened, not this over the top hairbrained scheme of Hannays. They seem to have cut down more trees to do what they are doing now, than they would have if they had just widened the road.

The only sensible part of the whole thing ( a road to link Victoria road with Governors road) which would have given everyone a second link into Douglas when the TT course is closed, has been dropped, thanks to a few brainless politicians, some of whom are NOT elected by the public.

Archived