Road Closures

Minxie

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this one......

I did learn some wicked shortcuts through Willaston when they had the Nook closed a few weeks ago, I suspect more people will catch on this time around though.

I'd suggest that if you're doing Ramsey-Douglas and can start early, then do so, go straight through to Onchan and down to the prom and in that way - it's very painless before 8am.

One thing I've not managed to adequately understand yet, is what all this work is ultimately going to achieve? I know the Nook is a bit narrow, but beyond that the dual roundabout system has always worked pretty well IMO. Wouldn't simply widening the Nook have been sufficient?

Everyone crammed down onto the promenade will be interesting.... unfortunately, I will be one of them.

My early morning: Leave house at 7:45am... essential drive into Douglas for wife, drive back up into Onchan to drop baby off at child minder, and then drive into Douglas for work. Normally - a very simple, quick journey. But with the closure of this little piece of road, I have to first off drive through willaston, then on the up to Onchan.. go along the promenade, and then back along the promenade at 8:30am (when traffic hits!) after dropping off the baby.

Not looking forward to that one.

As others have said, it only needed a short section of the existing road to be widened, not this over the top hairbrained scheme of Hannays. They seem to have cut down more trees to do what they are doing now, than they would have if they had just widened the road.

The only sensible part of the whole thing ( a road to link Victoria road with Governors road) which would have given everyone a second link into Douglas when the TT course is closed, has been dropped, thanks to a few brainless politicians, some of whom are NOT elected by the public.

Exactly, total waste of money with no real extra benifit to the average driver. Im sure a scheme like this was planned years ago but not done because of the amount of trees that would need to be felled.

As has been said, a road link to victora road would have been a better option.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surely it would be more effective and less of a disruption if the dot focused on one project at a time instead of digging up every main road in and out of Douglas at the same time.

That would be known as common sense so its not likely to happen.

They now have Governors Hill shut, so from North your diverted either into Willaston and the temporary traffic lights and road works on Johnny Wattersons Lane, and if you get through them maybe the temporary traffic lights and digging in Cronkbourne Village, and if you get through them the total f**king joke-flow system on Braddan Bridge.

I'm betting that somewhere in a government ivory tower there's some supremely important person jacking off at how powerful they are in bringing the Island to its knees just to fix a few f**king holes in the road.

Is the existing road going to be used by public transport and emergency services and the new one for other traffic?

This would make sense (if the above is true), because that would mean that the buses would be able join the junction ahead of the new road.

Any info as to how they're going to do it?

surely it would be more effective and less of a disruption if the dot focused on one project at a time instead of digging up every main road in and out of Douglas at the same time.

You'd think so wouldn't you.

Is the existing road going to be used by public transport and emergency services and the new one for other traffic?

I thought that the old road will remain closed until it's needed for the TT ad MGP and all traffic will use the new road when complete.

I thought that the old road will remain closed until it's needed for the TT ad MGP and all traffic will use the new road when complete

Aah I wondered how it was going to work, and why the wall inbetween was still up.

can't understand why it doesn't just form a dual carriagway, using the old road for northbound and the new road for southbound traffic
When they reopenedd the road after the first set of works, I drove down the old road and thought that it would make an ideal dual carriageway (so to speak). A single lane down on the new road and a single lane up on the old road. Would at least keep the road surface "conditioned" ready for TT/MGP.

So - what are these works set to achieve? I can't see how it will improve traffic flow at peak times, the only issue was the narrow part mid-way through which was a bugger for buses in a morning.

I can understand the bypass route from Governors to Victoria Road - but this, it doesnt make sense.

Archived