Road Closures

Minxie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me what the gov bridge roundabout needed more than anything was somebody with a pair of white gloves directing traffic at peak time to keep it flowing - other than that the road was fine as it was..

There cant be 5 weeks work in that job, probably more like 2 to 3 and hey presto arent the dot wonderful when the job comes in finished early by its 4th week...

I have said this before and i'll say it again

Don't think for one moment that all this work is for the benefit of the motorist, the actual purpose of the DOT is to spend more this year than it did last year

A chimpanzee with a crayon could design a better traffic system than the grindingly slow hamster cage that is Douglas

If any proof of this is needed just take the Groves Road T junction, over the last 15yrs this junction has been buggered about with on an ongoing basis. it used to be a T junction, then it was a roundabout, then it was a T junction again, then it got traffic lights

Latterly it was dug up again and resurfaced for no particular reason other than to spend huge amounts of our money on a junction totally unique in the world

T junctions have existed since Roman times, but it takes a special combination of stupidity and arrogance to design the rolling catastrophe that blights this area now

I predict another roundabout there in the next 18 months ( or sooner if there is a decent accident)

A chimpanzee with a crayon could design a better traffic system than the grindingly slow hamster cage that is Douglas

Can we try that? Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase? :)

So - what are these works set to achieve? I can't see how it will improve traffic flow at peak times, the only issue was the narrow part mid-way through which was a bugger for buses in a morning.

I can understand the bypass route from Governors to Victoria Road - but this, it doesnt make sense.

As keyboarder said its for the new School - Park Road school is set to close & will re-open as DOE/IOM Gov offices or another Dan Dare 'development'

Oh and the traffic lights on the prom nice touch... ffs

Presumably Broadway will be shut as well tonight after the 'incident'.

Best set off early Northern people. I imagine there will be extra big queues tonight

the road closure was extended to 2.15 but doesnt look like it will open any time soon....

Seems to me what the gov bridge roundabout needed more than anything was somebody with a pair of white gloves directing traffic at peak time to keep it flowing - other than that the road was fine as it was..

There cant be 5 weeks work in that job, probably more like 2 to 3 and hey presto arent the dot wonderful when the job comes in finished early by its 4th week...

If it can take 12 weeks to sort a straight bit of road out outside of King Bills, then 5 weeks for something with a hill and a bend in it sounds like they've severely understimated the road closure!!

One things for sure, private contractors are pushed to keep roads open whilst the DoT seems to get preference on road closures.

They will finish early and then declare how hard working the team are.

They will not mention how bad the planners are when it comes to predicting road closure times.

(see also every major roadworks project since the dawn of time)

Anyone see this blog on the road closure in Castletown...same applies here!!

http://www.blogstoday.co.uk/ViewBlog.aspx?...mp;sitecode=IOM

Archived