Road Closures

Minxie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One things for sure, private contractors are pushed to keep roads open whilst the DoT seems to get preference on road closures.

What a crock of shit that statement is and more to the point can you prove it?

Everyone in my opinion gets the same treatment. I could say the opposite and summise that private contractors get more roads closed for the purpose of roadworks.

Infact if Health and Safety was paramount and make no mistake that's why they would have closed it, no matter who was doing the roadworks and no matter how trivial the works are, the road should be closed in my opinion.

The reason for this is most of our roads are too narrow for all the correct traffic management needed.

I expect you've already read "The New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991" and pondered over the Safety and law at roadworks and everything that entails?

Anyway in my opinion it is far too dangerous for the general public and the men/women doing the work to not have the road closed, and it is blindingly obvious that when the road is closed the job gets done in half the time.

One things for sure, private contractors are pushed to keep roads open whilst the DoT seems to get preference on road closures.

What a crock of shit that statement is and more to the point can you prove it?

Everyone in my opinion gets the same treatment. I could say the opposite and summise that private contractors get more roads closed for the purpose of roadworks.

Infact if Health and Safety was paramount and make no mistake that's why they would have closed it, no matter who was doing the roadworks and no matter how trivial the works are, the road should be closed in my opinion.

The reason for this is most of our roads are too narrow for all the correct traffic management needed.

I expect you've already read "The New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991" and pondered over the Safety and law at roadworks and everything that entails?

Anyway in my opinion it is far too dangerous for the general public and the men/women doing the work to not have the road closed, and it is blindingly obvious that when the road is closed the job gets done in half the time.

If safety was paramount the road outside of King Bills should have been shut. On occassions there were drops in excess of 1 foot guarded by traffic cones and no lights. And yes, whilst I do not have 'proof' I have experience working for some of the private contractors who have to do the jobs the DoT find too difficult. Thankfully I don't do that now but I have first hand experience of being sat in meetings being put under pressure to keep roads open when it clearly wasn't safe to do so.

I've no problem with health and safety, but there are instances where it is not equally applied. As for your statement "and it is blindingly obvious that when the road is closed the job gets done in half the time", you obviously have not had a good look and compared the various road works undertaken on North Quay when the road has been closed.

If safety was paramount the road outside of King Bills should have been shut. On occassions there were drops in excess of 1 foot guarded by traffic cones and no lights.

I wholeheartedly agree and that's basically what I said.

but I have first hand experience of being sat in meetings being put under pressure to keep roads open when it clearly wasn't safe to do so.

Exactly and what price do they put on someones life. The price is to keep the road open and risk someone being seriously hurt or worse that's what.

I've no problem with health and safety, but there are instances where it is not equally applied.

When it suits springs to mind

you obviously have not had a good look and compared the various road works undertaken on North Quay when the road has been closed.

Not North Quay, you're absolutely right but I've seen plenty of roadworks around the Island and the way in which a lot of the general public treat them. That's why i'm of the opinion that roads should be closed when works are being carried out on them.

If safety was paramount the road outside of King Bills should have been shut. On occassions there were drops in excess of 1 foot guarded by traffic cones and no lights.

I wholeheartedly agree and that's basically what I said.

but I have first hand experience of being sat in meetings being put under pressure to keep roads open when it clearly wasn't safe to do so.

Exactly and what price do they put on someones life. The price is to keep the road open and risk someone being seriously hurt or worse that's what.

I've no problem with health and safety, but there are instances where it is not equally applied.

When it suits springs to mind

you obviously have not had a good look and compared the various road works undertaken on North Quay when the road has been closed.

So basically we agree then?

Not North Quay, you're absolutely right but I've seen plenty of roadworks around the Island and the way in which a lot of the general public treat them. That's why i'm of the opinion that roads should be closed when works are being carried out on them.

Oh and the traffic lights on the prom nice touch... ffs

Yeah, seriously, those lights are just ridiculous. I get stopped at those lights on the way to and from work every day now, and they appear to serve no logical purpose - there is almost never any traffic coming from the hill onto the prom so most of the time you're just sat there when the road is completely clear ahead.

They're also in a bit of a weird place, so people don't know whether they can go up the hill to the left when the light is on red or not.

Just to resurect a road thread has anyone going into Douglas from the west today noticed that the DOT road-hobbits have put traffic lights in at Braddan Bridge again this morning to paint the road markings?

Its going to be fun in the morning as the two lanes into the first roundabout at Braddan church are far too narrow. More than two cars queuing to turn right up Saddle Road and your going to get massive tailbacks before you even get to the stupid tree / roundabout thing as you can only just get two cars side by side on the approach to the roundabout.

They had the chance to widen that part of the road and have got it completely wrong - the pavement sticks out right into the straight on lane ans if the right lane is block your not going to be able to use the straight on lane easily.

Its a complete dogs breakfast. I wonder how much its cost to get everything so wrong.

Its a complete dogs breakfast. I wonder how much its cost to get everything so wrong.

No it's another 'thou shalt not alter the sacred ground of the TT racing line' story - the whole section from Peel rd through well past Union Mills needs attention

No it's another 'thou shalt not alter the sacred ground of the TT racing line' story - the whole section from Peel rd through well past Union Mills needs attention

I'm not even convinced its that - its just terrible planning. You've effectively got a bottleneck leading into a roundabout, there might be two lanes but they're not usable as two lanes. The pavement is too wide for a start and kinks into the first lane creating another bottleneck but now they've built that fancy low wall to dress up those plots that have planning for houses on them they can't now change what they have done. They should have taken everything back to the wall of the cottage just passed Parkinsons and clawed back another 2ft of road at least and put a new pavement in right through.

Edited: If if they did that it wouldn't affect the riders lines for the TT because they're travelling the other way.

I left Ramsey about 7-50, made it through with no real bothers. I think if you leave after 8, you've had it!!

I left Ballaugh about 8:00 (10 minutes late), joined the end of the queue at Brandish at just before 08:20. Got to the Ballanard Rd roundabout at 08:50. I would normally turn left there but the queue from the traffic lights was up to the roundabout so decided to go straight on towards Braddan. The traffic leading up to the quarterbridge was surprisingly light - did everyone give up on the Peel road route today?

Archived