Road Closures

Minxie

We left our house at about 8 this morning and were stuck in the queue from Brandish from just before 820, it took 25mins to get from there to the Matrix sign on Hillberry and it took a further 15 to get to Ballanard road.

It wouldn't be so bad but we've got to do it every bloody day this week! We can't leave any earlier beause we can't drop the youngest at nursery in Ramsey until 8am.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The D.O.T never used to set temporary traffic lights up until 9.00am. If the lights are on 24 hours I'm sure the men, between 8.00 and 9.00 handled the traffic manually from the traffic light box, this ensured less waiting time.

It now looks like the traffic lights go up at 8.00 and sod the general public.

People should ring up and complain.

I made it in to work today at 9:10am..... not bad. I tried willaston, and it was jammed tight. As soon as you get out by the college, it's a breeze, but that one junction causes a huge backlog of traffic. People seem to take about 8 seconds to get out there, when it could really be done in 3! Those few seconds extra on each car are enough to make me late for work. =)

edit: Oh, also the lollipop man who stopped the traffic every 5 seconds for 1 child to cross....

Tommorrow (when I begin my dash across Douglas and back - twice) should be fun.

Tommorrow (when I begin my dash across Douglas and back - twice) should be fun.

I think the DOT is going for the guinness world record for the car conga. I believe Willaston to the Creg was the traffic queue record this morning.

I work on Victoria Road, and live in Onchan, and normally come up Blackberry Lane and join Governors Road...So had been trying out different routes over the easter holidays... Prom was always so busy, and took me over 15 mins, whereas nipping through willaston didn't really change the time, but avoided the stop / starting crawl on the prom - I tried willaston yesterday, and set off from lower Onchan at 8.35 and got to the top of willaston at 9, and didn't get through willaston til 9.20.... total journey time 45 mins!

So this morning, thought I just go along the prom and deal with it... left at 8.35, got off the port jack junction after 5 minutes waiting for someone nice to give way! - the lights on the prom were a breeze and I was in work for 8.50. (admittingly I did do a pretty long overtake on the tramtracks in order to turn up onto Palace Road. - No double parked cars the otherside and fortunately horsetrams aren't on yet!) - 15 mins!

Ramsey to Douglas whingers - stop whinging, if you don't like it move to Douglas - that'll decrease your commute time for sure. And after all, nothing any of you do for a living is that important so make the most of having a believable excuse to be late - it's only for a few weeks.

And emma, you really should be walking to work - you might even lose a little weight, lol....... ; )

I finished work just after six this evening and the traffic was still backed up on Broadway at 18:10 as I tried to get onto the prom (not badly, but still a bit irritating), as such I simply went straight over the crossroads and indulged in some (pleasingly calm) retail relief at Shoprite on Victoria Road (if buying frozen Iceland ready meals counts as a form of happiness).

Getting to work before 8am and leaving before 4:30pm and/or well after 6pm seems to be about the only viable option at the moment.

I wouldn't mind so much but it's quite a big island with not much in the way of population density, surely it can't be so hard to sort this stuff out properly?

This morning, I decided to try something different. As I work off victoria road, down near Castle Mona, when I finished my drive back into Onchan, I parked my car... and walked.

Took me 15 mins to walk to work from there (though I do naturally walk quickly) whereas a colleague of mine tried the same journey by car, along the promenade, and it took her 35 mins.

I was pretty chuffed...

We left our house at about 8 this morning and were stuck in the queue from Brandish from just before 820, it took 25mins to get from there to the Matrix sign on Hillberry and it took a further 15 to get to Ballanard road.

It wouldn't be so bad but we've got to do it every bloody day this week! We can't leave any earlier beause we can't drop the youngest at nursery in Ramsey until 8am.

get on your bike, unless ginger nuts has crashed it again

The latest Manx Radio article is good:

Manx Radio

I particularly liked the quote:

Head of the Roads Policing Unite Inspector Richard Power acknowledges it is frustrating for motorists, but is urging them to be as patient as possible.

He says Braddan Bridge is now fully open, which helps those travelling in from the west, and a number of measures have been put in place to ease congestion in other areas.

Just what measures is he talking about? There are no measures in place at all its a total crock of shit.

Archived