Road Closures

Minxie

Ramsey to Douglas whingers - stop whinging, if you don't like it move to Douglas - that'll decrease your commute time for sure. And after all, nothing any of you do for a living is that important so make the most of having a believable excuse to be late - it's only for a few weeks.

And emma, you really should be walking to work - you might even lose a little weight, lol....... ; )

would love to, but have to get home at lunchtimes to walk the dog, and wouldn't make it home, walk the dog for more than 5 minutes and back to work all in an hour... !!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would love to, but have to get home at lunchtimes to walk the dog, and wouldn't make it home, walk the dog for more than 5 minutes and back to work all in an hour... !!!

Take the dog to work in the car. Nice hot day. Windows closed. Problem solved.

Take the dog to work in the car. Nice hot day. Windows closed. Problem solved.

and drop it off at the reservoir on the way home.

I'm amazed that such disruption to ordinary people just trying to, y'know, get to work and go about their daily lives, has been allowed without much in the way of questioning.

The Governor's Bridge roundabouts are the major arterial routes into Douglas from the North (and also from Onchan and Laxey for a lot of folks, depending on where you're going to in town), so it stands to reason that completely closing them down would result in somewhat hellish queues, especially by IOM standards - we're facing tailbacks on a length they'd often be ashamed of on motorways across, and yet we've got less total population than a fairly small UK town.

If you're lucky and have the option to start work early and finish early, or start late and finish late (or a combination of the two), and exercise those possibilities, you can largely miss the disruption - but for everyone else on a fixed time budget when it comes to ferrying children to school/minders and/or working around employment times, there's really no choice but to join in with the insufferably pointless and wholly artificial chaos.

I dunno, maybe it's a cunning plan to prepare us for the TT by making the roads totally clogged up and a pain the arse to navigate a couple of months ahead of schedule, so that when the TT actually descends it doesn't feel quite so shitty after all.

I mean, really, queues of cars up to the Creg, you'd have to actively try to fuck the roads up that much to achieve such a result.... (And two sets of temporary traffic lights on the coast road for when the mountain road is closed during the day, an extra stroke of genius.)

My 'favourite' thing of this whole fuckin road face is the two dudes who sit in their DOT van at the corner where you turn off the mountain road onto Johnny Watterson's Lane, eating breakfast looking bored. :rolleyes: They're there everyday! Doing nothing!

My 'favourite' thing of this whole fuckin road face is the two dudes who sit in their DOT van at the corner where you turn off the mountain road onto Johnny Watterson's Lane, eating breakfast looking bored. :rolleyes: They're there everyday! Doing nothing!

Err, could they be waiting to close the road??????????

Just a quick bit of gossip, I saw two men sitting in a small silver car outside Strang Stores at 8.50 am Monday morning looking towards the Strang Roundabout. The driver had a "plan" of the roundabout on his knee and the passenger had one of those "clicker, counter" things, new roundabout coming up here perhaps ?

Just a quick bit of gossip, I saw two men sitting in a small silver car outside Strang Stores at 8.50 am Monday morning looking towards the Strang Roundabout. The driver had a "plan" of the roundabout on his knee and the passenger had one of those "clicker, counter" things, new roundabout coming up here perhaps ?

‘The two people in the Honda CRV were a director and a young scrote from Hairyedge Homes. They have been seen at various times of the day monitoring the traffic movements at Strang roundabout and Union Mills. No doubt they will be preparing their statement of case which will paint a rosy picture in readiness for their planning application for the housing development at Camlork. Oh yes and no doubt the former Clerk to a local Commissioners (who now works for Hairyedge Homes) will have some valuable background knowledge. Stinks eh?’ :whatever:

‘The two people in the Honda CRV were a director and a young scrote from Hairyedge Homes.

As if they'd send a director to count cars....

You better believe it with what's at stake there.

I saw them as well, at 08:30 by their van. As the road doesn't close until 09:30 couldn't they be doing something useful in that hour rather than playing football and reading their papers?

I saw them as well, at 08:30 by their van. As the road doesn't close until 09:30 couldn't they be doing something useful in that hour rather than playing football and reading their papers?

They're doing something now, they're operating the lights that it only took them 3 weeks to put up. Judging by the weather this morning and how wet and cold they looked, I think they've probably earned the pay for those mornings they sat watching the cars!

It's not quite so hellish queuing to turn on to Johnny Wattersons with those lights in place, we were only there 15mins this morning.

Archived