Road Closures

Minxie

That's it! We're fed up with all you out-of-town whingers! We're closing all the roads into Douglas next week so you can just start looking for work in your own miserable areas. And if you don't like it, there's a roadblock in the morning.

Bruce Almighty.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the road doesn't close until 09:30 couldn't they be doing something useful in that hour rather than playing football and reading their papers?

They couldn't have been reading papers - they weren't in by then.

My 'favourite' thing of this whole fuckin road face is the two dudes who sit in their DOT van at the corner where you turn off the mountain road onto Johnny Watterson's Lane, eating breakfast looking bored. :rolleyes: They're there everyday! Doing nothing!

I saw them as well, at 08:30 by their van. As the road doesn't close until 09:30 couldn't they be doing something useful in that hour rather than playing football and reading their papers?

They're doing something now, they're operating the lights that it only took them 3 weeks to put up. Judging by the weather this morning and how wet and cold they looked, I think they've probably earned the pay for those mornings they sat watching the cars!

I agree. I felt sorry for them this morning!

Why not floodlights and 24 hour shift patterns going to keep the disruption to a minimum?

There are a few houses round there, and an old peoples home but I'm sure they could make use of the time outside of their normal hours to do something productive without making too much noise. Even working till 9 at night could be a help.

Most of the folk in Glenside wouldn't hear them anyway

• 2 weeks later...
They will finish early and then declare how hard working the team are.

They will not mention how bad the planners are when it comes to predicting road closure times.

(see also every major roadworks project since the dawn of time)

Well bugger me.....

THE new Governor's Bridge roundabout will open to traffic on Monday (April 28).

Mr Anderson also pointed out that DoT staff had been working long shifts, seven days a week, at Governor's Bridge and as a result the road was opening five weeks early.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Governor39s...open.4001749.jp

Why don't the DoT just plan the things properly in the first place?

Then perhaps they would be able to get the timescale right and allocate the correct number of staff in order to save on the no doubt ludicrous cost to the taxpayer in overtime payments.

The fuckwits

Why don't the DoT just plan the things properly in the first place?

Then perhaps they would be able to get the timescale right and allocate the correct number of staff in order to save on the no doubt ludicrous cost to the taxpayer in overtime payments.

The fuckwits

Isn't that the thing though? Way I see it, they can either do it for less money and take longer, or do it as quickly as possible but incur substantial overtime charges.

Isn't that the thing though? Way I see it, they can either do it for less money and take longer, or do it as quickly as possible but incur substantial overtime charges.

Overtime just means the staff are spread too thinly.

if they concentrated staff on a single project they could still get it done quickly but not incur the overtime costs

THE new Governor's Bridge roundabout will open to traffic on Monday (April 28).

Mr Anderson also pointed out that DoT staff had been working long shifts, seven days a week, at Governor's Bridge and as a result the road was opening five weeks early.

So if it's opening 5 weeks early then they didn't expect it to be finished until the 2nd June ! I'm sure there is the small matter of a motorcycle race that starts on 24th May so we're meant to believe that the works weren't supposed to be finished until the end of practice week ????

The original notice said

Will be closed to traffic in all directions for a five-week period from 9.30am on Tuesday, March 25, until Monday April 28. This will enable the new roundabout to be constructed, a partial road closure not being considered practical.

So isn't it opening on time rather than 5 weeks early?

The original notice said

Will be closed to traffic in all directions for a five-week period from 9.30am on Tuesday, March 25, until Monday April 28. This will enable the new roundabout to be constructed, a partial road closure not being considered practical.

Yes. But 5 weeks early sounds much better, why let facts get in the way of a good news story - hurrah!

Do they honestly think we believe their shit anymore. A bit of basic, genuine humility wouldn't go amiss in the DOT. They're crap at forward planning and should accept that instead of bullshitting us with the same old "Open xxxxx weeks early" crap.

I'm sick of it and think they should bring back steamrollers and horses to pull the equipment.

The original notice said

I imagine it was a typo on the part of iomtoday. When i first read that story, that part certainly stood out!! But I can't imagine the DOT being that stupid!! - to blatantly exaggerate the plans that they had earlier announced.

It is finishing on schedule... not a day too soon.

Can't wait to drive down there on Monday and see what they've actually been up to.... last time I looked - not much.

The original notice said

Actually one of the signs down there says it will be closed for 26 weeks :o

I'm surprised they haven't claimed to be finished 21 weeks early

Archived