"smoking Ban Will Have Little Effect On Business"

nipper

Businesses in the Isle of Man hospitality sector should not be unduly concerned about the imminent smoking ban, an industry leader says.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7313731.stm

All these newsbites about this anti-smoking law makes it sound as if the Island is making a frightening step into the a new world. But obviously everywhere else in the British Isles has had this ban so the impact will be the same.

I do think that a £5,000 fine is very excessive for breaching the ban. I think it is £1,000 in the UK.

A hypothetical sitaution, but is it true that if a customer continues to smoke in any establishment (such as a pub) after being told not to, and that person is caught by the police, then the staff will face the relevant punishment and not the customer. That it will be staff as well as the patron that will be punished?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A hypothetical sitaution, but is it true that if a customer continues to smoke in any establishment (such as a pub) after being told not to, and that person is caught by the police, then the staff will face the relevant punishment and not the customer. That it will be staff as well as the patron that will be punished?

Off topic now, but it's the lorry driver (not the operator) that gets fined for having illegal immigrants found stowing away in their lorry coming over to the UK. I think it is up to £3k per stowaway. Even if the truck driver hadn't the slightest clue of knowing they were there or had anyway of finding them. Bloody harsh rule if you ask me. Especially if they're carrying a sealed unit.

Back on topic: Smacks of 1984 to me really, but the smoking ban has worked really well here in Essex. I can wear the same t-shirt for 3 whole days now :) and people will still ignore me.

:D

As an aside how is the ban being enforced.

Can we expect men in high visability vests and peaked caps with a little yellow band round them telling drunk men to 'put that out' or is is purely the responsibility of the landlord?

Also in a week or so when the smoky smell starts to clear we should have a pub with nastiest toilet aroma competition

Can we expect men in high visability vests and peaked caps with a little yellow band round them telling drunk men to 'put that out' or is is purely the responsibility of the landlord?

Also in a week or so when the smoky smell starts to clear we should have a pub with nastiest toilet aroma competition

I'm going to put in an early vote for the Woody.

At least you can't get lung cancer from smelly toilets

True enough, and I for one has been waiting for the smoking ban for a long time. It's disgusting having ignorant fuckers smoking in restaurants where fresh food is being consumed, and it's a relic of a bygone era.

It's just typical that the Isle of Man has to be the last to toe the line on this.

Banning smoking in pubs is not the end of the world. People adapt and survive, and it will be nice to come home after a night out without stinking of second hand smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put in an early vote for the Woody.

I can report I was in the Woody last night and despite a faint aroma of stale beer and sweat on arrival there was no real evil pungency! Pretty busy too.

Archived