"smoking Ban Will Have Little Effect On Business"

nipper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the Prospect last night and it was a bit different, there used to be about 20-30 people smoking at any one time and yet the most I saw outside last night was 3 or 4.

A pity really that it wasn't colder and wetter because I was quite smug watching them and peering out the window sat on the nice warm radiator.

Who gives a flying fuck if the pubs sink or swim?

We have the MHKs asking us to support the pubs...and we can expect to see them propping up the bar 24/7?

I'm just hoping for a good summer so I can have friends round for a beer / BBQ and save a packet. The pub prices nowadays are obscene.

Why don't these whinging bastards do something imaginative like running theme weeks, cleaning their pubs following on from the smoking ban, do special offers on food, etc.

I don't think £6.50 for a jacket potato in C'est La Vie and + £3 a pint is going to entice anyone to head out - what a bunch of jokers H & B are.

I head out once a week (charity begins at home) and Tesco supplies me with my ale at a fraction of the price the pubs charge.

We're in for tougher times, and it's about time these clowns realise it.

Why don't these whinging bastards do something imaginative like running theme weeks

Would you go to a pub that had a theme week? It'd be even worse than those wanky theme bars they have at the minute. I'm fed up of going to a pub and having to put up with appalling singers (That means you little miss dynamite!!), shitty comedy acts and just generally shitty ideas to try and drag the punters in. What's wrong with a dartboard, a pool table and perhaps a jukebox/tv?

What's wrong with getting good barstaff and keeping them, being able to build a rapport with the regulars. Went into a pub here last week that I've never actually visited before and got chatting to the landlord and he thinks the smoking ban is the best thing to have happened to the pub, he says the staff are now out smoking on their breaks with the customers and he has noticed that some semi-regular customers are now regulars because they've actually made friends with the bar staff. The atmosphere was friendly, there was a lot of banter between the customers and the bar staff. It used to be a complete dive, had metal shutters on all the windows. It was taken over last year and they've slowly turned it round, kept some of the regulars and managed to attract a much younger clientele. They've even got a wii with the bowling game running, the landlord had wanted a skittle alley and figured it was the next best thing (and a shitload cheaper!), I was third on the leaderboard when i left.

Perhaps a core area that the pubs need to aim for are the younger drinkers, those who still see the pub as a novelty, don't have their own front room and can't get the beers in from tesco. H&B need to aim at this section of the market, those who've just turned 18 with very few overheads and cash at the hip who can afford £3 a pint for a good night out with their mates.

We have the MHKs asking us to support the pubs...and we can expect to see them propping up the bar 24/7?

Been to the woody lately? If you look carefully you might even find some of them sleep there... ;)

Hypothetically, if I was to smoke in a bus shelter and there's no one else around to report me for such heinous crime, do I have to turn myself in? How would one do that? Like, call the police and say "Help! I'm smoking - I admit it - come quick !?" Not that I would ever even remotely think about breaking such a serious law, obviously...

And by the way - To whoever put these stickers up everywhere: You may a: wanna look for a better spot than where the time table is supposed to be, and b: why can you put up the stickers but not bother putting a new time table in? Great - I'm being told I can't smoke, but fuck knows when the next bus is gonna be here.

busca6.jpg

Archived