Marco Pierre White Visit

cheeky boy

I didn't say I paid

I was being entertaind by clients

Fair enough.

As they say though, there is no such thing as a free lunch - especially when the client is vulgar enough to let you know how much they have splashed out! :o

I would still feel very uncomfortable with there being such a restaurant on the Island.

Which reminds me, has anyone here read the book 'Trainspotting'. There is a part where a waitress has to serve some obnoxious rich barstards. It was that graphic I don't think even Trainspotting's director Danny Boyle could do the scene justice in the film as described in the book.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be great news in my opinion and would certainly mean existing establishments would have to raise their game, but not necessarily their prices.

Eating out well in the Uk and Europe doesn't always cost a fortune, even when run by a "celebrity" chef...and even I can afford it!

Check out menu prices at MPW place in Newbury http://www.theyewtree.net/menus.htm

Beats most half-decent (and some poor) IOM restaurants for price I reckon.

I didn't say I paid

I was being entertaind by clients

Fair enough.

As they say though, there is no such thing as a free lunch - especially when the client is vulgar enough to let you know how much they have splashed out! :o

I would still feel very uncomfortable with there being such a restaurant on the Island.

Which reminds me, has anyone here read the book 'Trainspotting'. There is a part where a waitress has to serve some obnoxious rich barstards. It was that graphic I don't think even Trainspotting's director Danny Boyle could do the scene justice in the film as described in the book.

How would this make you feel uncomfy ? Just cause you earn £170 a week how can you judge wealthier people who choose to spend their cash on a nice meal ?

Or perhaps an average Joe who has saved up for a few months to take his missus out for a special night

Eh? Where's the logic in that? I feel far more uncomfortable with the fact that the island is known for it's love of chips, cheese and gravy. (and let's face it, the processed cheese and artificial gravy is but a disguise for dodgy chips, lol... ). Imagine if Heston Blumenthal had opted to put The Fat Duck here - it would be a massive draw for big spending tourism as hopefully anything to to with MPW would. It's a really exciting culinary propsect. Your attitude is ridiculous.

(And no more mention of Kevin Woodward anyone, these guys are WAY out of his league.....; )))

Just a personal expression, I suppose.

When I walk down the road where I grew up and everyone seems to have a smart brand spanking new BMW as they look down their nose at me as if I was something that was pulled out of the sewer*. They're mostly complete strangers to me and have no interest in the Island or the indigenous people, just how much they can suck out of it and show off their wealth.

£250+ a head restaurants?

Or perhaps an average Joe who has saved up for a few months to take his missus out for a special night

That'll be an average Joe that has a very guilty conscience maybe and as they used to say "needs his arse feeling".

*Just to be clear about this, I don't normally wear the rose tinted specs or the wig when I walk down the road where I grew up

Just a personal expression, I suppose.

When I walk down the road where I grew up and everyone seems to have a smart brand spanking new BMW as they look down their nose at me as if I was something that was pulled out of the sewer*. They're mostly complete strangers to me and have no interest in the Island or the indigenous people, just how much they can suck out of it and show off their wealth.

£250+ a head restaurants?

That'll be an average Joe that has a very guilty conscience maybe and as they used to say "needs his arse feeling".

*Just to be clear about this, I don't normally wear the rose tinted specs or the wig when I walk down the road where I grew up

Sorry Theo, I think you're generalising somewhat....which street is this?!!

Yeah I'spose I am generalising a bit. I can't say the street/road because I know someone who uses this forum a lot, lives there!

(They're ok though :) )

And anyway, I 'don't like change'.

Cannell's Cafe in Strand Street was posh enough for us at one time, although the Golden Egg was always there for a real treat *

*/ Theo now realises he has blown any argument he may have had.../*

When I walk down the road where I grew up and everyone seems to have a smart brand spanking new BMW as they look down their nose at me as if I was something that was pulled out of the sewer

Although it's just possible that you smell really foul, if I were you I wouldn't assume that possession of an expensive automobile is a measure of one's wealth. It more often than not indicates the owner's willingness to commit to credit.

Cannell's Cafe in Strand Street was posh enough for us at one time

You were lucky, when we were kids we had to ..................... etc,etc........... ; )

It's income not earnings.

Get a job then loser....

I'm sorry my reply has caused such a reaction.

Loser? Possibly, but I now prefer to see myself as a fighter.

The next time you do a days work, please be thankful, and remember that you never know what is around the corner.

Archived