Sam Barks - I'd Do Anything

Nellie

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am DELIGHTED to see that the ridiculous nonsense that has been posted in this thread about the Isle of Sam being an embarassment is (as I thought) the negative nonsense of a few Manx Crabs! I trust you are suitably ashamed of yourselves!!! :D

I appreciate you are obviously an avid supporter of Sam, well that's great. I think most of us here would be happy to see her progress, and best of luck to her.

Our disappointment and utter shock is directed at the humiliating renaming of our island, tagged onto the back of her achievement. It should not effect her progress (we hope not) but it does effect us... because we are part of this 'island' whose image is dragged through the mud by Mr Earnshaw. It is a disgrace what he has done.

I am proud of my island, and proud of it's name! Proud of it's emblem, the three legs of man.

The "Isle of Woman" is by now irritating me.... it was fine for one year, and I respect it's motivation for charity... but this "Isle of Sam" has really taken it a step too far! done for nothing, but a cheap shot at publicity. This is not to help Sam, not to show our support of Sam.... but to seek attention.

This is not negative nonsense, this is frustration! Annoyance! I imagine most people who take pride in their nation will be unhappy with this.

I am DELIGHTED to see that the ridiculous nonsense that has been posted in this thread about the Isle of Sam being an embarassment is (as I thought) the negative nonsense of a few Manx Crabs! I trust you are suitably ashamed of yourselves!!! :D

I appreciate you are obviously an avid supporter of Sam, well that's great. I think most of us here would be happy to see her progress, and best of luck to her.

Our disappointment and utter shock is directed at the humiliating renaming of our island, tagged onto the back of her achievement. It should not effect her progress (we hope not) but it does effect us... because we are part of this 'island' whose image is dragged through the mud by Mr Earnshaw. It is a disgrace what he has done.

I am proud of my island, and proud of it's name! Proud of it's emblem, the three legs of man.

The "Isle of Woman" is by now irritating me.... it was fine for one year, and I respect it's motivation for charity... but this "Isle of Sam" has really taken it a step too far! done for nothing, but a cheap shot at publicity. This is not to help Sam, not to show our support of Sam.... but to seek attention.

This is not negative nonsense, this is frustration! Annoyance! I imagine most people who take pride in their nation will be unhappy with this.

Completely agree and well said. As I have mentioned before; Sam has enough talent to win devoid of the public Manx Shame. It will cause more trouble yet I fear...

Completely agree and well said. As I have mentioned before; Sam has enough talent to win devoid of the public Manx Shame. It will cause more trouble yet I fear...

Completely agree - I totally support Sam - and I don't blame her for going along with the BBC on this, she's 17 and got a show to win. We shouldn't be too surprised that the BBC would do that either - we know what their perception of us is - but for our own government to sink that low is infuriating.

Well done Sam - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Great advertising for the island and well done to the Minister of Tourism - getting us on prime time TV is a great achievement - good job!

Shame to see Sarah go but it can only improve Sam's chances. You're doing so well and we are ALL very proud of you.

The only ridiculous nonsense is the Isle of Sam/Adrian Earnshaw garbage. Have you no taste, or pride in your country (or are you English?).

Great advertising for the island and well done to the Minister of Tourism - getting us on prime time TV is a great achievement - good job!

If making us look like a provincially minded clatch of numbskulls who desperately claw away at even the merest hint of publicity was the aim, then yes, it was a magnificent job by Mr Earnshaw and those wizards of the banal and trite at Weber Shandwick.

Seriously, who in God's name is going to visit the Island on the basis of this latest cringeworthy slice of unintentional kitsch? It's not that publicity in itself is bad. The problem is that this effort is so bloody stupid and succeeds only in taking the piss out of everyone: The Island looks even more like a twee backwater - one which must be really crap to be so desperate; whilst the viewing public are treated like simpletons who can be enchanted into parting with their cash using nothing more than a shit pun and an association between a minor celebrity and a particular place. It's crass, foolish, and will in all likelihood prove to be counterproductive.

Shame to see Sarah go but it can only improve Sam's chances. You're doing so well and we are ALL very proud of you.

I'm not. I don't specifically want her to lose, but I don't care if she wins either.

Apropos the 'Earnshaw gaffe', reminds me of a saying.

It is far better to to say nothing and just let people think you're a c*nt than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Mr Earnshaw said that 'like most local people I've been watching it on television over the last few weeks'.

Just moments before, though, he was heard to ask one of his PR advisors: 'What's the name of the show again?'

Res Ipsa Loquitur.

A FRESH PRODUCTION FROM THE ISLE OF SAM

CAST, IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:

Samantha Barks - Nancy

Adrian Earnshaw - Dodger

Miscellaneous Annoying Lad With Pushy Parent/s - Oliver

Miscellaneous Annoying Girl With Pushy Parent/s - Bet

Weber Shandwick - Fagin

[NANCY (spoken)]

So, 'ow's it go then Dodger? It's all "bowin'" and "'ats off"...

[DODGER (spoken)]

And "Don't let your petticoats go dangling in the mud,

my darling."

[NANCY (spoken)]

Oh, "And I'll go last."

[DODGER (spoken)]

No, I'll go last.

[NANCY (spoken)]

If you insist.

[DODGER (sung)]

I'll do anything

For you dear anything

For you mean everything to me.

I know that

I'll go anywhere

For your smile, anywhere --

For your smile, ev'rywhere --

I'd see.

[NANCY]

Would you climb a hill?

[DODGER]

Anything!

[NANCY]

Wear a daffodil?

[DODGER]

Anything!

[NANCY]

Leave me all your will?

[DODGER]

Anything!

[NANCY]

Even fight my Bill?

[DODGER]

What? Fisticuffs?

I'd risk everything

For one kiss -- everything

Yes, I'd do anything...

[NANCY]

Anything?!

[DODGER]

Anything for you!!

[NANCY (spoken)]

'Ere now, Oliver, you just copy

Dodger and I'll help you out with the words, alright?

So it's "I'll do anything"

[OLIVER (sung)]

I'll do anything

[NANCY (spoken)]

For you dear

[OLIVER (sung)]

For you dear, anything

[NANCY (spoken)]

For you mean

[OLIVER (sung)]

For you mean everything to me

[NANCY (spoken)]

Ah, that's lovely.

[OLIVER]

I know that

I'd go anywhere

For your smile, anywhere --

For your smile, everywhere

I'd see

[bET]

Would you lace my shoe?

[OLIVER]

Anything!

[bET]

Paint your face bright blue?

[OLIVER]

Anything!

[bET]

Catch a kangaroo?

[OLIVER]

Anything!

[bET]

Go to Timbuktu?

[OLIVER]

And back again!

I'd risk ev'rything

For one kiss -- everything --

Yes, I'd do anything

[bET]

Anything?!

[OLIVER]

Anything for you!!

[DODGER (spoken)]

Dance, Nancy.

[NANCY (spoken)]

Oh, alright, Dodge. C'mon boys!

1-2-3...

[FAGIN]

Would you rob a shop?

[ALL]

Anything!

[FAGIN]

Would you risk the "drop"?

[ALL]

Anything!

[FAGIN]

Tho' your eyes go, 'pop'

[ALL]

Anything!

[FAGIN]

When you come down 'plop'

[ALL]

Hang ev'rything!

We'd risk life and limb

To keep you in the swim

Yes, we'd do anything...

[FAGIN]

Anything?!

[ALL]

Anything for you.

[DODGER (in a state of bewilderment)]

I'd really do ANYTHING for you, uh, uh, sorry, what did you say your name was, Sally?

Perhaps we could just rename the Island The Isle of Current Pop Culture Figure and/or Things and be done with it. The marketing is a dream:

You've heard of figures and/or things in today's pop culture haven't you? You like them don't you? I mean, you're not some kind of diseased malcontent, are you? I thought not. Then you're going to want to visit the famous Isle of Current Pop Culture Figure and/or Things, the home of current pop culture figures and/or things! We have Yorkies, and some of us can even sing! Book your ticket to the Isle of Current Pop Culture Figure and/or Things today and receive a poorly printed t-shirt emblazoned with what looks like an Island with a random celebrity's face superimposed on it.

For extra novelty fun we can change our coat of arms by replacing the raven and the falcon with a marketing executive and a tourist, and have Earnshaw in the middle tugging both of them off, with a big dirty grin on his face.

You people really need to lighten up. It's a TV show and it was a publicity stunt, get over it.

In all changes in the world, the substance remains, and the accidents alone are changeable or to put it another way, is the “we” who existed before the change still the same “we” which existed after the change?

And somebody please ban that keyboarder fella, is he always this much of a prick?

Stav.

Archived