Sam Barks - I'd Do Anything

Nellie

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looking at the photos above, and I noticed one is of the banner at St Ninians.

She went to school there, only left last summer (June 07) after doing her GCSEs.

Completely understandable that the school supports her. She was a student there for 5 years after all.

Check out SNHS web site.

Bet the Gov. wished they had paid her Drama school fees across now - it would make their support look a bit less hollow.

Just looking at the photos above, and I noticed one is of the banner at St Ninians.

She went to school there, only left last summer (June 07) after doing her GCSEs.

Completely understandable that the school supports her. She was a student there for 5 years after all.

Check out SNHS web site.

Bet the Gov. wished they had paid her Drama school fees across now - it would make their support look a bit less hollow.

Apparently she was not the only talented youngster in the musical theatre field initially let down by our caring department of Ed. Someone up there should be hanging their head in shame for this lack of insight and understanding of the arts

Apparently she was not the only talented youngster in the musical theatre field initially let down by our caring department of Ed. Someone up there should be hanging their head in shame for this lack of insight and understanding of the arts

On the basis that you consider this to be art of course.....as opposed to irritating schedule filler!

On the basis that you consider this to be art of course.....as opposed to irritating schedule filler!

I believe she is also attending a performing arts college in London?

I believe she is also attending a performing arts college in London?

Yes I think she is doing an A Level course in a performing arts college in London.

I don't think the Island offers support for A-levels of any kind does it? In that case it's fair enough that she's not getting support, regardless of appearing on television. If she goes on to study a degree in performing arts she'll probably get funding.

Wot he said.

Wot he said.

It seems strange that they've overlooked Sam's talent and one wonders as to what you would have to do to meet their standards?

Good luck Sam ;)

It seems strange that they've overlooked Sam's talent and one wonders as to what you would have to do to meet their standards?

If, as others have said, she's doing an A-Level, she's (rightly) not going to get support for that, and I'm not sure the Island's government even issues performing arts grants. If she were doing/goes on to do a degree, then she'd probably get funding without a moment's hesitation. Also, before she was on "I'd Do Anything" she was at Arts Ed, which is an independent school in London specializing in the arts - if you're going to fund a kid going to that place, you may as well dole out cash to any parent who aspires to send their kid to an independent school in the UK.

It's too easy to see her on TV and think she automatically deserves funding, but let's not forget that this is a quiz show/promotional stunt. Although Sam may indeed be very good, for all we know the Government may already be funding numerous students following degree courses at RADA and/or the big drama and performing arts schools or departments through the UK - which is what higher education funding is for.

Just saw a bus with a huge poster thing down the side "I'd do anything, on the Isle of Sam".

Who is paying for that? and what's it supposed to achieve? It really is all a bit embarrasing.

Don't be such a killjoy. It's only a bit of fun.

Just saw a bus with a huge poster thing down the side "I'd do anything, on the Isle of Sam".

Who is paying for that? and what's it supposed to achieve? It really is all a bit embarrasing.

Don't be such a killjoy. It's only a bit of fun.

Whilst I wish her all the very best postering buses is a bit pathetic.

I just dread to think what the collective state of grief will be like if she gets voted out. It'll be like Diana's funeral in the DTL - walls of flowers piled high outside the doors and idiots who never knew her sobbing into their hands.

Isle of Sam v Jodie's Tram?

Leaving Earnshaws folly aside for a moment, Sam has consistantly outsang and out performed the competition. Even Jessie who was supposed to be favorite hit a few bum notes tonight and looked like she was struggling with pressure. She and Niamh more of less stand there take a couple of steps then stand still again where is their performance?

Sam is 17 and one of the many positive results of the Isle of Mans education system and arts scene, presumably brought up in and supported by a loving family.

I for one would rather the papers and tv be full of stories about Sam and those like her who are chasing a dream whether it be the arts, sport, etc than others of her age who aspire to nothing more than drink, drugs, hanging around the streets and vandalising or intimidating people.

I still think that talent should be supported for what it is rather than for where it is from but fortunately in this case we have a win win situation. I have no problem with programmes that enable this talent to be shown even though I disagree with the way it is presented as an income generator for the TV company. Hopefully win or not Sam will at least have gained from the experience and be able to persue her choice of career. If not she could always come home, perform gigs to rooms of 20 and take a job answering the phones in a bank.

Archived