Sam Barks - I'd Do Anything

Nellie

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the hell are people doing voting from their mobiles anyway? more money than sence if you are watching it at home and end up using the mobile to vote in.

Some folks may have a ban on international / premium rate calls on their house phone.... therefore have to use the mobile, i.e. my mum in law!

being ticked off with the Isle of Sam shame does not mean that we shouldn't do everything reasonable to help Samantha win

Everything reasonable... suddenly phoning up a premium rate phone line to vote in a talent contest seems so much more glamorous than it did before.

im so sick of all this isle of sam crap - just cause shes in a talent contest on tv no need

to add all this crap so annoyin hope she losses just so can go bak to normal without posters and stuff everywhere

cause it'll get worse if she wins

watched the Paul Potts programme about life during and after Britains got talent. Despite winning the competition and being No1 in 15 countries the snobby elitest twats poncing around as opera critics couldn't resist looking down their noses and dismissing him as a non entity. Total contrast to Paul's humble and always in awe of his rise to fame position. What about Leona Lewis from Xfactor? Maybe you are more of a Jade Goodie kinda guy/girl?

Simple fact is that whether you like this type of show or not (already stated that I hate the phone vote profeteering), there are ordinary people who would never get a look in if they weren't able to take the afternoon off from their mundane lives and queue for hours to have a go. Whether she wins or not on Saturday she is winning in life from the experience and exposure gained on the show.

To come out with such a retarded comment as hoping she looses just because of a few posters and what is in effect a token gesture from an ex bank manager is a regretably sad state of mind to display. personally I find the "visit ramsey" posters on buses patronising, but hey it doesn't actually demean my life.

The island gets a mention every week on national tv, the only shame is that there hasn't been a bit more background footage of Sam's and our home other than a windswept rocky coastline. There is genuine pride amonst the kids at Laxey and St. Ninians that one of their own is doing so well. whats YOUR problem? You think it all reflects badly on you personaly?

no im just bored of the whole isle of sam and i think its crap to change the name of our island just cause of a talent show to gain attention (even though its a mess about)

The thing is, that the fuss we're making is so tacky and anyone who lives here is cheesed with the same brush. It's embarrassing and just re-enforces our reputation as a bunch of country bumpkins.

I don't give a shit if she wins now, the damage has been done.

Well I quite like her ans.

What the hell are people doing voting from their mobiles anyway? more money than sence if you are watching it at home and end up using the mobile to vote in.

Lots of folk only use mobiles and besides that th ecost isn't important.

Simple fact is that whether you like this type of show or not (already stated that I hate the phone vote profeteering), there are ordinary people who would never get a look in if they weren't able to take the afternoon off from their mundane lives and queue for hours to have a go. Whether she wins or not on Saturday she is winning in life from the experience and exposure gained on the show.

Attending an independent drama school and having a background in theatre and the performing arts kind of ruins the everyman rags to riches appeal suggested in your post. She wants to be famous and on television, and identifies a high profile talent contest as the quickest route to achieving those aims - fair play to her, best of luck, you go girl, and so on and so forth. It's not a tale of the plucky underdog taking time out of normal life and chancing her arm in the big smoke.

That's no reason to want her to lose, but let's not dress this all up as something it isn't - It's Soapstars with corsets and Baron Greenback as a judge.

The thing is, that the fuss we're making is so tacky and anyone who lives here is cheesed with the same brush. It's embarrassing and just re-enforces our reputation as a bunch of country bumpkins.

Agreed, this seems to be the SOP. When a chance to promote the island presents itself, all sense of proportion goes out the window and the result is an ill conceived and hastily executed mess. To my mind, typical of a systemic failure or indeed inability to sit back, think and then produce a response that is measured, proportional and mature.

I like Sam even more than I used to like Princess Diana. In fact even if Lady Di was still alive I would still like Sam moore

What a load of killjoys. It's a bit of fun, supporting a local girl. Nothing more, nothing less.

Aye, support her with votes, posters, general chit-chat and gossip....

but would you support her by naming your children after her?? "Today Jessica, I'm going to call you Samantha to show my support for Samantha Barks!!!"... "but Mummy.. why?".. "oh you know, it's all a bit of fun! just supporting a local girl - sure you won't mind! after it's over, I'll call you Jessica again".

Changing the island's name is no different. It is offensive. It is embarrasing. It is totally unnecessary.

Support Sam in any way you like! But how dare they rename our island?!

Whether she wins or not on Saturday she is winning in life from the experience and exposure gained on the show.

I don't think anyone doubts that. She might even win.

As for coverage of the island each week you're sort of right but come on I don't see Blackpool renaming itself just because that hefty cruise ship singer with the scary eyes happened to come from there. Its really inconcieved publicity and at the end of the day I seriously doubt it does her any favours. I'm sure many of her rivals find it hilarous.

What a load of killjoys. It's a bit of fun, supporting a local girl. Nothing more, nothing less.

Aye, support her with votes, posters, general chit-chat and gossip....

but would you support her by naming your children after her?? "Today Jessica, I'm going to call you Samantha to show my support for Samantha Barks!!!"... "but Mummy.. why?".. "oh you know, it's all a bit of fun! just supporting a local girl - sure you won't mind! after it's over, I'll call you Jessica again".

Changing the island's name is no different. It is offensive. It is embarrasing. It is totally unnecessary.

Support Sam in any way you like! But how dare they rename our island?!

Er you do realise it's not actually been renamed? Your passport will still say Isle of Man. I retierate, it's just a bit of fun.

Archived