Sam Barks - I'd Do Anything

Nellie

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not been marketed as a bit of fun, they've made out that the island has made a permanent name change. Even the Yorkie thing was less bandwagon and stupid.

Well let me break it to you: it hasn't made a permanent name change. So you can unclench.

What a load of killjoys. It's a bit of fun, supporting a local girl. Nothing more, nothing less.

Aye, support her with votes, posters, general chit-chat and gossip....

but would you support her by naming your children after her?? "Today Jessica, I'm going to call you Samantha to show my support for Samantha Barks!!!"... "but Mummy.. why?".. "oh you know, it's all a bit of fun! just supporting a local girl - sure you won't mind! after it's over, I'll call you Jessica again".

Changing the island's name is no different. It is offensive. It is embarrasing. It is totally unnecessary.

Support Sam in any way you like! But how dare they rename our island?!

Er you do realise it's not actually been renamed? Your passport will still say Isle of Man. I retierate, it's just a bit of fun.

Yeah, of course.. but that's not the point. It's being marketed as the "Isle of Sam" - at the airport, on TV.

I still fail to see how this has anything to do with 'fun'.

Just to let you know, nobody outside of the isle of sam gives a shit what we're called! It was just a bit of bandwagon jumping by the tourist dept. and it seems to have worked. I've had several people mention the isle of sam to me in England, i just laugh along with them, sometimes mention that we change our name to the isle of woman for a week each year for breast cancer awareness and then carry on as normal.

The people I've spoken to seem to take it as a laugh and seem to like that we don't take ourselves to seriously...well done to the people on here proving them wrong.

This is not directed at any poster personally, but coments by those who find a 'downside' in almost every subject does give the impression of us here as being just a bunch swingeing cynics.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions, BUT, what does remove any sense of credibility to those comments is when they are based on 'assumed knowledge'

Seriously, how many of those on here, who are so strongly, negatively opinionated, can honestly hold they're hands up to having any real personal knowledge of this young lady, her background and circumstances?

For (most of) the TV audience this is an exciting competition, you might disagree, but bear witness to all the newspaper articles and a few hundred different forums that have surfaced as a result of "I'd do anything".

While you may disagree that this fits in with your definition of entertainment, there really are countless millions of others who would argue that point.

'Isle of Sam'

Our Minister in charge of helping to promote the Island using Samantha's popularity, can only really be blamed for naively believing (assuming it was HIS idea) that this 'marketing game' is something any idiot can do, Hence the rather, oh lets call it, innocent attempt to capitalise.

It really is an 'innocent' attempt, with the best of intentions, and I believe will be seen, fortunately, by most, as a happy little gesture of support, so, no need to be embarrased, most of the rest of us DO see it for what it really is. Just a bit of FUN.

This is a genuinely talented young lady (IMO), who is also Manx, (as am I, and fully cogniscant of our idiosyncrasies) who apparently undertook this challenge only after it was suggested to her by one of her current London Theatre School tutors "Have a go he said", she did and the rest is history.

Was he wrong to urge her to do this? If nothing else it shows that Samantha had the courage, confidence and self motivation to do this.

Why not, for once, put aside all the clever rhetoric and simply support 'one of our own', it could make the difference.

Best wishes for Saturday and your future Samantha.

I'd have to say what happened with Sam being in the sing-off, gave her a brilliant chance of winning overall, the Irish lass was the panels favourite to not make it, and the other lass is too old (not being oldist but she is, and can't stop crying - or it was a damn good act)

...WAY TO GO SAM

This is not directed at any poster personally, but coments by those who find a 'downside' in almost every subject does give the impression of us here as being just a bunch swingeing cynics.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions, BUT, what does remove any sense of credibility to those comments is when they are based on 'assumed knowledge'

Seriously, how many of those on here, who are so strongly, negatively opinionated, can honestly hold they're hands up to having any real personal knowledge of this young lady, her background and circumstances?

For (most of) the TV audience this is an exciting competition, you might disagree, but bear witness to all the newspaper articles and a few hundred different forums that have surfaced as a result of "I'd do anything".

While you may disagree that this fits in with your definition of entertainment, there really are countless millions of others who would argue that point.

'Isle of Sam'

Our Minister in charge of helping to promote the Island using Samantha's popularity, can only really be blamed for naively believing (assuming it was HIS idea) that this 'marketing game' is something any idiot can do, Hence the rather, oh lets call it, innocent attempt to capitalise.

It really is an 'innocent' attempt, with the best of intentions, and I believe will be seen, fortunately, by most, as a happy little gesture of support, so, no need to be embarrased, most of the rest of us DO see it for what it really is. Just a bit of FUN.

This is a genuinely talented young lady (IMO), who is also Manx, (as am I, and fully cogniscant of our idiosyncrasies) who apparently undertook this challenge only after it was suggested to her by one of her current London Theatre School tutors "Have a go he said", she did and the rest is history.

Was he wrong to urge her to do this? If nothing else it shows that Samantha had the courage, confidence and self motivation to do this.

Why not, for once, put aside all the clever rhetoric and simply support 'one of our own', it could make the difference.

Best wishes for Saturday and your future Samantha.

I was going to say the same, but you beat me to it!!

I'll be ringing you on my mobile on Saturday Sam!!

Useful regarding this to recall this at

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/BBC-spares-...er.4046713.jp:-

in particular

BBC spares Earnshaw's blushes over TV gaffe

Mr Earnshaw said that 'like most local people I've been watching it on television over the last few weeks'.

Just moments before, though, he was heard to ask one of his PR advisors: 'What's the name of the show again?'

Tossser.

And more pertinent to note that

It was all the idea of the government's UK public relations firm Weber Shandwick and appeared to be a well-timed piece of bandwagon jumping to get a bit of Beeb air time for the Island.

Presumably the taxpayer will be picking up the tab for Weber Shandwicks involvement.

As regards the 'I'm Manx' bollocks - frequently used to prop up a shit argument so fucking what?

That shes got a good voice/talent is obvious.

As an example of crap marketing, it has to be on a par with that laughable SP ad earlier this year.

Compare that drivel with the sophistication and bite of the Ireland or North East England campaigns.

BTW I'm Manx - so fucking what.

edit to add.

Despite the buffoonery of MT, Earnshaw et al, I hope she does win and I will be voting for her as IMO she is the best.

Should a new thread be started? Some people cannot get their heads round the fact that posters criticizing crap, expensive UK marketing consultants and their offensive gimmicks are not in any way criticizing the supremely talented Samantha.

Archived