Manx Radio Mannin Line

Albert Tatlock

It was class!!

There was that pensioner snorting heavy down the phone obviously furious about something but no one was quite sure what. I think he had Roger Watterson well stumped.

It wasn't you really Albert, was it.......

It was class!!

There was that pensioner snorting heavy down the phone obviously furious about something but no one was quite sure what. I think he had Roger Watterson well stumped.

It wasn't you really Albert, was it.......

I heard him - I'd have bet a fiver he'd been on the booze. Sorry to dissapoint, but it wasn't me.

The worst one I ever heard was a couple of years back when some dribbling old nutcase ended his rant about god knows what with "and another thing: what about all these dinks and slopes we're getting over here these days?"

Sometimes it's best to pretend it's actually a clever piece of scripted radio drama than a live call in show.

The worst one I ever heard was a couple of years back when some dribbling old nutcase ended his rant about god knows what with "and another thing: what about all these dinks and slopes we're getting over here these days?"

Sometimes it's best to pretend it's actually a clever piece of scripted radio drama than a live call in show.

Today's effort was pretty piss poor, even by normal standards. Even Roy gave it a miss this week. Maybe everyone was too busy subscribing to this MR+ jamboree?

They should have changed the title to the "Angry irrelevant comeover line" years ago. To me its full of Colonel Blimp characters who are either mad or pissed moaning about nothing of any significance.

If nothing else, at least this thread proves that people do actually listen to the Mannin Line. I hope Stu Peters or someone else from MR passes this on to Roger Watterson.

I would have liked to have bought Marge Joughin a computer and showed her how to post to this forum.

They should have changed the title to the "Angry irrelevant comeover line" years ago. To me its full of Colonel Blimp characters who are either mad or pissed moaning about nothing of any significance.

What? There are plenty of manx people (judging by the accents) ranting away on there as well - the guy in the example I gave above had a lovely old manx accent in which to deliver racial slurs.

What? There are plenty of manx people (judging by the accents) ranting away on there as well - the guy in the example I gave above had a lovely old manx accent in which to deliver racial slurs.

Sorry I missed your post. I stand corrected - maybe the presenter just allowed the dinks and slopes comment to slip passed unnoticed. I suppose you've got to use more familiar slurs like towel heads to get noticed and banned.

Sorry I missed your post. I stand corrected - maybe the presenter just allowed the dinks and slopes comment to slip passed unnoticed. I suppose you've got to use more familiar slurs like towel heads to get noticed and banned.

He did actually say something like such comments aren't really helpful when discussing immigration and moved on, which I think handled the matter pretty well. But yes, there's an awful lot of blimpery on the Mannin Line sometimes. I was listening to one on the website recently and a young girl was making the following (abridged) argument:

"In India we have to wear their clothes and there aren't any churches, so why are there so many mosques here"

There were so many things wrong with her statements that I really felt for Roger having to deal with it (he did actually do a pretty good job of pulling it together into something resembling a point that could be discussed).

I love the Mannin Line. It's democracy in action at it's best (and worst).

It also has a high proportion of listeners who never listen to Manx Radio...

I don't know if it is fair to post this, but here is a clip of the chap who took the time to phone in today, but wasn't really wanting to say much, although we probably know the sort of thing he was alluding to.

20080323_Mannin_Line.mp3

Perhaps he would be quite good fun on the forums here. I'll maybe give him that computer I was saving for Marje.

Archived