I Dont Believe It!

Billy One Mate

When was the MEA loan put out to tender / When does this loan date from?

Neither scenario smells good though. Either:

1. The MEA arranged the Barclays loan first - and some time later Mr Proffitt was, coincidentally, also appointed as "as non-executive chairman of Barclays Private Clients International Ltd".

Or

2. The MEA arranged the loan with Barclays after Mr Proffitt had been, also, appointed by Barclays.

Apart from the mad crazy business of whether or not the IOM Treasury knew what was being done in its name. Well surely someone at Barclays would have guessed that perhaps this wasn't going to look so good.

And heck .... don't the MEA have to produce annual accounts including details of current assetts and liabilities? And don't these accounts have to be submitted to Treasury.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
someone at Barclays would have guessed that perhaps this wasn't going to look so good

I guess for them its really a win win situation. They were able to book a loan, at a rate well over FHBR, secured by the Government. What Bank is going to turn that down.

Maybe the same position exists over the incinerator sale/leaseback?

Neither scenario smells good though.

Agreed, I was just trying to get the time line of events clear in my head

It would certainly be handy for Barclays if they were tendering for a loan and one of their directors was head of the company asking for the loan

Well surely someone at Barclays would have guessed that perhaps this wasn't going to look so good.

Perhaps they think they can get away with it? After an initial bit of bad publicity what's going to happen?

I have heard from a senior source in keys that this "may topple the government, and there a real fears of this now to put it in perspective compare us with the UK, for everything in the UK you divide by 800 to get to the equivilant national average of a thing for the IOM. Put the other way you would multiply by 800 to compare with the uk so a 120 million debt for the isle of man as a nation would be a similar thing to something in the region of 900 billion for the UK, which if there was a debt of this size in the UK there would be big problems.

Coupled with the fact that the Island lost somewhere in the region of 250 million on the stock market and has less than 1 billion in finances in total you can now see a major chunk has gone missing."

I'm not really sure of what to make of what ever he was saying and maybe its doom and gloom but i guess time will only tell..As long as they dont have to increase taxes and bills further....Job cuts from civil service?

Doom and gloom? No not at all.

We have been led by donkeys. Greedy and egotistical ones at that. We have less than half the population of Warrington or Aberdeen - how on earth have we got away with it for so long?

Probably the best thing to come out of a major shake-up under the Westminster spotlight would be to shake up our legal system. The little boys and girls on Athol Street charging out major QC rates when they are doing little more than 2 bit town lawyers job.

Maybe we should all have taken the examples shown by our leaders and formed a new motto:

By hook or by crook - get it while its there.

Surfer Wrote

but i guess time will only tell..As long as they dont have to increase taxes and bills further....Job cuts from civil service?

I bet they do all those before it's over and how much is the internal enquiry into it going to cost? they're bound to have one of those.

How is the profit on supply of electricity going to meet these interest repayments???

Assuming 30000 users at an average of £1,000 per annum turnover would be 30 million. Say 20% profit margin only 6 million available for interest payments on 295 million. Interest payments are likely to be in the region of 15 million with no Capital Repayments.

These are very hypothetical figures and I think many would like to see how this is actualy intended to work.

Archived