Local Elections

Rhumsaa

Town hall has a copy for your perusal, or try on-line at the gov site, should be on there.

If you catch a candidate he/she will have a copy.

One at all LA offices/Town Halls, but not on the web yet.

Strictly speaking the only people who are allowed to have a copy to take away are candidates, and that doesn't occur until nomination has occured.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strictly speaking the only people who are allowed to have a copy to take away are candidates, and that doesn't occur until nomination has occured.

That's wrong even before formal nomination you can have a copy if your thinking of standing provided you sign the data protection act and agree to keep the data secure & private.

Have to agree with the boy, what use is a polling list after candidature is confirmed?

You need one to get peoples polling number and name correct. If you put one tiny thing wrongly the application can be thrown out.

I wish all those people who are public spirited enough to stand and face the electorate, the very best of luck and hope they win election to the various local government bodies for whihc they stand. They should be thanked for their selfless efforts.

However, will somone one explain to why these bodies are there in the first place, especially as their members have no say on matters such as housing, building, rents of council housing or anything to do with the roads.

Why in an Island the size of the IOM do we need the all layers of Government, with the associated costs, that we have?

We should have one Island wide election every five years when anyone can stand as a candidate and the voters can vote for as many or as few of the candidtaes that they want. The first 20 people, say, passed the post become the Lower House and the next 10, say, the Upper House of Tynwald.

The elected representatives then control/administer whatever needs to be done in the IOM and we can dispense with Sheadings, Commissoners, councillors et al with the associated costs of their offices and the staff employed in them.

Why in an Island the size of the IOM do we need the all layers of Government, with the associated costs, that we have?

Excellent question.

Excellent question.

It is rediculous for a population of 80,000 approx - lets have an all-island rate and do away with all this pointless nonesense.

The Douglas Corporation vs central Govt battles over the last decade have been pathetic, power protecting, indulgences of the few, and when you see what happened with Port St Mary and Braddan commissioners, and more recently the substantial hike in Onchan rates, it all goes to prove the point - simpler to get rid!

However, will somone one explain to why these bodies are there in the first place, especially as their members have no say on matters such as housing, building, rents of council housing or anything to do with the roads.

If it added to the quality of local services then maybe they are needed. However all you get is the same shower of third-rate shite standing in local authority elections - they come in talk bollocks, do piss all, put up the rates and then you only see their ugly faces 5 year yonder when they need another vote to fuel another five years of crass ineptitude.

If it added to the quality of local services then maybe they are needed. However all you get is the same shower of third-rate shite standing in local authority elections - they come in talk bollocks, do piss all, put up the rates and then you only see their ugly faces 5 year yonder when they need another vote to fuel another five years of crass ineptitude.

You will of course, be standing yourself then in order to bring some common sense to local government.

Whatever they may be, if you aren't prepared to put yourself up, don't knock 'em.

Same applies to people who don't vote. No vote means no right to complain.

hboy seems to be a bit of a political analyst in as much as he is totally wrong in his hypothesis.

If there were an all-island authority what happens in one area would affect all the others. Say the chief officer of one area was up to something dodgy that cost that area about £250k, the cost would have to be offset against every area of the island. A penny rate would be levied and all rates increased as a result. At the moment it would only effect one area, leaving the rest alone to effectively manage their own finances. (you should laugh at this point)

It keeps accountability local.

Having said that, the island has less people than a small English town and they seem to manage quite well with that system.

A local councillor across has roughly 6k constituents, here it is more like 500, less in some areas. But they , the English councillors, get paid for their roles. I was getting upwards of £12k a year and a councillor in Worthing say was on £3k as a backbencher. Here they get £30 a meeting as expenses. See what it might cost you, all on the rates of course.

There is a case to be made for streamlining local authorities here and a programme was initiated in about 1949, but as you can see it is a slow process.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, let them have their moment, it keeps the rest of us sane.

You will of course, be standing yourself then in order to bring some common sense to local government.

If i didn't spend so much time off the Island i would be standing. I mean you only need one dodgy deal with a developer and your made for life!!

If i didn't spend so much time off the Island i would be standing. I mean you only need one dodgy deal with a developer and your made for life!!

If you're off the island so much, then why are you moaning...

If you're off the island so much, then why are you moaning...

I was trying to wind scrappy up as I knew he was standing but it didn't really work

Manx Radio News Item Here

The self styled "Leader of Douglas Council" says he is not surprised that there will be elections in a third of the 24 local authorities on the Island.

Now, does this mean that he expected most of the people to be apathetic and don't really give a damn or does it mean that lots of people are very happy?

In true political speak we are told by King David that it means that where there is no election people are perfectly happy and where there is an election in means people are, er, perfectly happy I suppose.

Whatever it means it was a perfectly useless piece of drivel and crawling news from Manx Radio other than to do their usual fawning to the "Leader" of Douglas Council. In this particular case what Davey had to say was even more vacuous than usual.

Archived