Isle Of Man Prison

Andy25

My cousin is in prison there and I'm hoping to get to visit him when I go over next month.

He was saying that they are opening a new prison there and he'll be getting transferred. Is the new prison far from Douglas and is it easy enough to? He said the one at the moment is pretty bad and the new one is going to be a lot better.

Is it true that they are going to ban smoking there as well when the ban comes in? I'd say that would cause loads of problems and they haven't banned it in prison over here. I did 6 months 2 years ago and nearly everybody smoked. It would have made people really stressed if they were forced to give up.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have made people really stressed if they were forced to give up.

aye.. prison is a hard life after all. It is indeed a cruel punishment - not even being able to smoke - after comitting crime.

I hear that the new prison is going to be real cushy... so don't worry too much about your cousin. He'll probably enjoy a greater quality of life than the rest of us... though ya, he may face the torment of that cigarette ban!!!!

We have to deter crime somehow on this island...!

The new prison is on part of the old airfield at Jurby - not quite as far as you can get from Douglas but almost. Public transport, unless a new bus service is laid on, will require a journey to Ramsey (90mins) then a change of bus to Jurby unless you fancy a 5mile good walk off the no 5/6 bus route.

No doubt one of our regular cabbies will tell you the cost of a taxi - I doubt if less than 3 figures

The new prison is on part of the old airfield at Jurby - not quite as far as you can get from Douglas but almost. Public transport, unless a new bus service is laid on, will require a journey to Ramsey (90mins) then a change of bus to Jurby unless you fancy a 5mile good walk off the no 5/6 bus route.

No doubt one of our regular cabbies will tell you the cost of a taxi - I doubt if less than 3 figures

90 mins to Ramsey? Nah...

Anyway timetables available here if it helps:

http://www.iombusandrail.info

Well i wouldnt want to spend my days locked up in a cell in jurby talk about bleak lol.

From what i have been told the prisoners are in for a shock, a lot more for them to do meaning they have to go to classes and improve thier re-offending behaviour.

Its not going to be like they have it now, more focus on keeping them out from what i was told from a friend who works in the service.

And also single cells, that means nobody to talk to when locked up, lots of time to think :lol:

Plus no smoking lol, riots at jurby lol

improve thier re-offending behaviour.

Robber: "This is a robbery! Gimme the fucking cash!"

Cashier: "Didn't you learn anything in your re-offending classes?"

Robber: "Sorry. Please be informed that this is a robbery. May I politely ask for the contents of the till?"

Cachier: "Better. Here you go son."

I can't believe they are not exempted the smoking ban for the prison. It is not as if prisoners can nip out for a fag whenever they like. If the community and the government feels it necessary to remove criminals from society by gaoling them, it seems a little bizarre and amusing that we are concerned about their health. Or is the risk of passive smoking to prison workers that is the issue? I want to know what this Martyn Quayle means by the current climate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/is...man/6767061.stm

The argument as to preserving the health of prison warders and other prisoners is probably the one most pertinent to the imminent legislation, and it seems as though in nearby jurisdictions prisoners are allowed to smoke in their cells, suggesting it is a luxury that can be enjoyed anytime.

There is another argument along the lines of it being beneficial in a rehabiliting sense to (at least attempt) 'cure' the incarcerents of an expensive and dangerous addiction. Their health will improve and they will have more spare money (presuming they get a job once they come out) which is good for them and hopefully good for wider society. Since smokers are increasingly becoming social pariahs, it might also help them integrate better.

They will be offered NRT though.

So, as for smoking. Cannabis usually taken orally (smoked) Crack cocaine, ditto, Heroin, ditto (sometimes) That's three drugs got rid of. Now just the pills, tippex and lighter fluid. With all that time on their hands and nothing to do with them I hope they have industrial amounts of tissue paper.

Djdan - You are being a bit judgmental with your sarcasm there. Not very christian of you. Something I tend to find about all the Christians I know, quite happy to be forgiven themselves but arent so forthcoming with forgiveness for others, bunch of hypocrites.

Imagine a world where there was no need for a prison. That would be much better.

There is another argument along the lines of it being beneficial in a rehabiliting sense to (at least attempt) 'cure' the incarcerents of an expensive and dangerous addiction. Their health will improve and they will have more spare money (presuming they get a job once they come out) which is good for them and hopefully good for wider society. Since smokers are increasingly becoming social pariahs, it might also help them integrate better.

They will be offered NRT though.

I would hope that this is not the reason. If find it hard to see a link between rehabilitation and a ban on cigarettes, even though you have given examples. I can see why spare money would make for an easier life but I don't see how it would be better for wider society and I don't think they would really be social pariahs enough to affect their rehabilitation. That would seem to give the impression that the criminal must be forced to be as socially acceptable as possible in all respects.

But I think it could not be about rehabilitation coming not long after the ban outside of the prisoners. It does seem more like a an additional punishment to all those smokers in the prisons.

and it seems as though in nearby jurisdictions prisoners are allowed to smoke in their cells, suggesting it is a luxury that can be enjoyed anytime.

Why does it suggest it is a luxury? Unfortunately, I know it is going to be phased out as well in the UK, if that is what you mean.

Archived