Isle Of Man Prison

Andy25

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys really get going!

Anyway, thanks for the info. It looks like it might still be the other place though.

I don't know if any of you have been in prison but it's a shit place to be - don't believe everything you hear. Being away from your mates and family is tough and if you don't know other people there it can be really tough getting used to your new 'home'. Hard to get used to not haveing any real freedom or privacy and being told when to do everything - getting a shower, when to eat, when to sleep and all the rest. It can really screw up your life afterwards - who wants to give a job to a guy who has been inside? And here in Ireland you still have a pot in your cell - no toilets so if you need to go during the night that's what you do. If you're banged up for hours at the weekend or other times you do need a radio or TV to keep you occupied. I didn't get on with one of my cellies at all but we still had to live in the same 10x6 cell - not good.

I think it is wrong to ban smoking. As somebody else said your cell is like your home when you're there and you can't just go outside like everybody else can do. I think they're banning it from the yards as well. Where I was people could get to share a cell with somebody else who didn't smoke so they were looked after. As you onlyhave a few quid to spend each week you don't have many luxuries so having tobacco is. By the way that money comes from what they give you for the work you do in there or from whatyour family sends in so it doesn't cost the gov. anything.

I didn't expect to go to prison but I did and haven't been back - so people can sort themselves out. I hope my cousin did too although he'd been in alot of trouble before this. Just feel sorry for him being there as I know what it's like and I've been keeping in touch with him.

Well Andy my advice to your cousin is keep out of trouble, learn that your life is the most precious thing you will own, and wasting it in a concrete box is not good for anything.

The new prison is single cell so you have more privacy but just the thought of rotting away in them places is enough to keep me out of them.

Shame we were not all born with sense ;)

I don't know if any of you have been in prison but it's a shit place to be - don't believe everything you hear. Being away from your mates and family is tough and if you don't know other people there it can be really tough getting used to your new 'home'. Hard to get used to not haveing any real freedom or privacy and being told when to do everything - getting a shower, when to eat, when to sleep and all the rest. It can really screw up your life afterwards - who wants to give a job to a guy who has been inside? And here in Ireland you still have a pot in your cell - no toilets so if you need to go during the night that's what you do. If you're banged up for hours at the weekend or other times you do need a radio or TV to keep you occupied. I didn't get on with one of my cellies at all but we still had to live in the same 10x6 cell - not good.

Oh dear boo! hoo! my heart pumps purple piss for the plight of the thieving little toe rags, nonces, thugs, druggies, murderers and drink drivers banged up in there. I stand by my previous advice. :whatever:

I bet the new prison hasn't got a death cell complete with a hanging room like the old one. Well I take it the old prison did have both seeing as they used to hang people over here?

I bet the new prison hasn't got a death cell complete with a hanging room like the old one. Well I take it the old prison did have both seeing as they used to hang people over here?

They just let the person out of the gates with no bus fare home instead.

Stuck in Jurby they will hang themselves soon enough....

Oh dear boo! hoo! my heart pumps purple piss for the plight of the thieving little toe rags, nonces, thugs, druggies, murderers and drink drivers banged up in there. I stand by my previous advice. :whatever:

Have you had some sort of traumatic experience at the hands of a drink driver? Why the vitriole?

It is not the issue that it is too great a punishment but rather it is additional removal of prisoners freedoms. The reasons for its impementation would seem to be part and parcel of the nationwide ban on smoking in enclosed spaces but the impact of this on people's freedoms is far greater than it is for the rest of the population. It would seem to have nothing to do with giving prisoners an extra punishment but is essentially that. Whereas the rest of the population are forced to accommodate others by moving outside of a pub (for example) to smoke the prisoners have no recourse to do the same. They are being forced to give up, which I think is wrong.

Now yes it maybe a persons right to smoke but there is also people that don't so its 50/50 regarding the human rights.

I think maybe prison workers should be informed that prisoners are allowed to smoke when they take up the job.

I think it would be more appropriate that people have a right to fresh air, which would also include prison workers. I am reliably informed (ty JC) that prisoners were told to smoke in their cells, but most failed to do so.

I predict a riot...I predict a riot.

I hope not Albert, as it will be the tax payer who foots the bill and from previous posts, the new prison is not ready yet, so where would they go? Police cells? :(

Stuck in Jurby they will hang themselves soon enough....

Yeah can you imagine escaping, it'll be like 'The Hills Have Eyes' getting out through Jurby without being eaten by the locals.

The first person to break out will run down the road, turn around and then start banging on the prison doors "let me back in, let me back in"!!!!

I hope they do public tours of the old prison once it is vacated, I'd be interested in having a look around.

I imagine the developers will have at least one show flat for you to look at when it's vacated...

Archived