Ballaquayle Road Shut - Police Forensics

xbones

PS: Just wanted to say I am not having a go at anyone, just thinking its all a bit sad really and just think it would be awful if I was close or related to the victim and I read this speculation/joking etc - I knwo it is a public forum and people can write what they want etc

T&B

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think we should not be so flippant/jokey about this incident on a public forum where friends or relatives could read it.

Must admit that I've been surprised that the rather jovial atmosphere in some parts of in this thread.

Some poor bugger has lost his life in not very nice circumstances. His family and friends will be grieving.

Some other person has royally screwed up their life as well and faces a long time in jail

I can't really see the funny side of any of it, but then perhaps having lost three family members in the past 9 months has left me a bit sensitive to death and bereavement.

I do not see anyone laughing. It is a serious matter however, flippant comments will be made, that is the nature of a forum. If people do not like it there are lots of other topics to look at. If people are looking for facts etc - IoM Newspapers has a web site too.

Old git has an interesting point there, 'someone has royally screwed up their life' - regardless of the intent - oh oh oh (painful oh's btw) now, that would be a total nightmare to deal with, the ones in custody are fairly young too - thats a long life ahead of them to remember what has happened. Flippin eck what a mess.

I'd think responsibility also lies partially with local media such as MR, who seem to have a laissez faire attitude - i.e. wait to be told by police rather than pressing for answers to questions that people have a right to know about. If media were less slack and more dogged then the police would have to up their game in terms of releasing info to the public.

I don't think that's entirely fair on this occasion. The incident occured during the night when there's no real news coverage happening anyway. Shortly past 8am iomtoday already had a first report and MR was live at the scene, so the media were onto it.

I think it's not necessarily the first priority of the police to brief the media in cases like this - firstly, they'll have to find out what actually happened, establish all the facts and then decide what information can be released to the public. We all might want to know, but first priority must surely be the investigation itself with the public's desire for information coming second.

Shortly past 10am, iomtoday had the first video from the scene with commentary, which was pretty quick and good.

Shortly past 11am it was confirmed that police had launched a murder investigation.

By 2pm, a video statement was available on iomtoday, which means that must have been recorded around lunchtime-ish if you factor in time to get there, do the piece, race back, edit and upload.

MR was again at the scene later in the afternoon.

All looks reasonably quick and well covered on this occasion.

I really think we should not be so flippant/jokey about this incident on a public forum where friends or relatives could read it.

Must admit that I've been surprised that the rather jovial atmosphere in some parts of in this thread.

Some poor bugger has lost his life in not very nice circumstances. His family and friends will be grieving.

Some other person has royally screwed up their life as well and faces a long time in jail

I can't really see the funny side of any of it, but then perhaps having lost three family members in the past 9 months has left me a bit sensitive to death and bereavement.

Completely agree. I've bitten my tongue fingers a few times on this thread. Yeah thebees, we can read other threads, but there's no need for flippant comments about a very recent death. Sure, we probably all make them in passing in the pub or whatever, but a forum is in writing and in full view to anybody, anytime. People need to think. Comparing a person's death to a ladybird's or rat's? Not going to judge anyone on them, but it makes for uncomfortable reading when you can pretty much guarantee that people who know those involved will read it.

yet you imply something else..

No i didn't. If you did know anything before anyone else, why say on an internet forum "I already knew that", or words to that effect if you're not trying to, in some pathetic young childlike way, show off?

No, I spoke to someone who has a friend that is a police officer. She told me certain facts that I am aware of. So far, everything reported through the media has confirmed what she told me.

I am not however 'spreading' any rumours here, because as we all know, nothing is to be said until "confirmed" officially. I still do not see what the problem is.

I have not told you anything about the incident yet - that you are not already aware of.

I am also not trying to score points. That accusation is ridiculous.

Why so forcefully keep banging on about it then when everyone except Spanna thinks you're a wanker for even mentioning it in the first place?

I "keep banging on about it" merely in defence of all the accusations people keep on laying at my feet. You are one of them - accusing me of implying something that I have not said. Contrary to what you may think, I don't like to keep banging on about anything, but you guys here won't give me a break. My initial post there was purely innocent. I merely commented on the case.

I do indeed appreciate that spanna is at least neutral and has also said that I said no wrong - nor implied such.

But like Amadeus said, this is not the place for another argument, so I really don't see why you want to keep picking at my posts. Just leave it be. If you really feel like my posts are so bad then please, pm me. We can discuss things there, and if I agree with your thoughts, I don't mind editing my own posts. It does seem however, that you only want to try and 'show me up' in public - I don't see other people's posts getting ripped apart like mine do, and mine are no worse than anyone's.

I have no further comment to make about it here - regardless of any response on the subject. Thank you.

When I came to the Isle of Man in the 1990s everyone at work was telling me all about the Isle of Man (like they do!) they virtually all said yes, there were drugs* on the Isle of Man but there would never be heroin on the Island. Ok, they had no professional reason to say that but it was a good indication of public perception. Over the next couple of years I must have started to irritate an awful lot of people during tea breaks by reading allowed all the heroin cases when they appeared in the newspaper.

So, nice question...how long before bullets start flying?

Although when pondering that question remember this is the "nice" Isle of Man. There could never be thugs with guns here, could there.

* I do not intend to suggest this current matter has anything to do with drugs, I am simply using it as an example, you know drugs / weapons. Like last time.

This needs a lot more research, but so far, perusing the back of crisp packets in my back lane life, it is quite probable that our murder rate is amongst the highest, or even the highest, in the UK - if compared per head of population with towns around 80,000 population.

And this has been going on for some years now. Back to research.....

When I came to the Isle of Man in the 1990s everyone at work was telling me all about the Isle of Man (like they do!) they virtually all said yes, there were drugs* on the Isle of Man but there would never be heroin on the Island. Ok, they had no professional reason to say that but it was a good indication of public perception. Over the next couple of years I must have started to irritate an awful lot of people during tea breaks by reading allowed all the heroin cases when they appeared in the newspaper.

So, nice question...how long before bullets start flying?

Although when pondering that question remember this is the "nice" Isle of Man. There could never be thugs with guns here, could there.

* I do not intend to suggest this current matter has anything to do with drugs, I am simply using it as an example, you know drugs / weapons. Like last time.

This needs a lot more research, but so far, perusing the back of crisp packets in my back lane life, it is quite probable that our murder rate is amongst the highest, or even the highest, in the UK - if compared per head of population with towns around 80,000 population.

And this has been going on for some years now. Back to research.....

I'll bet it isn't even in the top twenty. Nowhere near...

...GOMH*...

The homicide rate per 100,000 population in England and Wales (0.6) is the lowest recorded by WHO (equal to that of Japan)

Source: Economic and Social Research Council

A good site from which to start your own research.

Sometimes though it is best just to just keep pretending the Isle of Man is a really nice sweet place with nice pleasant people, some good fresh countryside and there's not too much crime and even if there is, it's better than England and Scotland and all that. Plus we have some good beaches.

How many murders have there been in the Isle of Man in the past 5 years say?

(Sometimes, these cardboard boxes have a tendency to know what they are on about.)

When I came to the Isle of Man in the 1990s everyone at work was telling me all about the Isle of Man (like they do!) they virtually all said yes, there were drugs* on the Isle of Man but there would never be heroin on the Island. Ok, they had no professional reason to say that but it was a good indication of public perception.

Over the next couple of years I must have started to irritate an awful lot of people during tea breaks by reading allowed all the heroin cases when they appeared in the newspaper.

I didn't really want to reply in this thread on the drug comments as I don't think its helpful. But in relation to your final comments on reading stuff in the papers I have to say that maybe if our own press were a bit more open about what they print we might get a bit more perspective on the problem. It seems you have to read off Island papers to find out what is really going on on the IOM and why things are changing.

Liverpool Echo

Archived