Short Cruise On Viking

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should be fun when the Ben goes in for maintenance next week

I sense an urge to panic buy............

Try not to come back with a handful of beans or a ship you can't use.

So, according to MR, Viking gets out eight miles and then decides to come back. Did it really take that distance for the Captain to get to the weather page in the Daily Wail this morning?

So, according to MR, Viking gets out eight miles and then decides to come back. Did it really take that distance for the Captain to get to the weather page in the Daily Wail this morning?

I heard about the gales on the Radio 4 shipping forecast at 5:30 this morning as I was getting my daughter up for a day trip to L'pool. I told her then that they'd be lucky if it sailed.

Yet again a stunning vindication of the SPCo's decision to rely on a boat totally unfit for the Irish Sea. Over the next 2 weeks freight will still get through courtesy of the Triumph but the passenger traffic is basically stuffed.

By the way ... anyone know what has happened to the old Sea Express, it was announced that it was renamed Snaefell quite some time ago and apart from its beacon being switched on for a few hours a month ago nothing has been heard of it since ... seems odd that it isn't being used while the Ben is away.

turned back after about 10 mins this morning, must still be a bit lumpy out there after the gale

The daughter has just got back from the sea terminal - seems that there were 5 metre waves... no wonder it turned back.

turned back after about 10 mins this morning, must still be a bit lumpy out there after the gale

The daughter has just got back from the sea terminal - seems that there were 5 metre waves... no wonder it turned back.

Five METRES??? Are you sure it wasn't five feet?

Five METRES??? Are you sure it wasn't five feet?

five foot waves are nothing... Waves are measured from the bottom of the dip to the top of the crest. So a 5 metre wave is 2.5 metres above and below a horizontal line. I think the Viking is rated upto 3metre waves

I was working at the sea terminal this morning and I could see that other big ship in the bay bopping up n down.

Isn't she taking over the freight side of things from the Ben for the next couple of weeks?

Was no suprise to see it turn back. At the office this morning, we were all stood at the window watching it. Up and down, rolling from side to side. It really did look bad!! - and we were all glad we were not on board.

The boat dipped down quite a bit as it hit the waves, so they may well have seemed like they were 5 metres!

Archived