Short Cruise On Viking

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was working at the sea terminal this morning and I could see that other big ship in the bay bopping up n down.

Isn't she taking over the freight side of things from the Ben for the next couple of weeks?

Havnt got a clue but it looks alot bigger than the ben, lets do a swap for the viking.

I was working at the sea terminal this morning and I could see that other big ship in the bay bopping up n down.

Isn't she taking over the freight side of things from the Ben for the next couple of weeks?

Havnt got a clue but it looks alot bigger than the ben, lets do a swap for the viking.

Takes over for 2 weeks and she is called Triumph but she's smaller at 123m x 19m x 4.9m compared to the Ben at

125m x 24m x 5.3m. I would take an educated guess that she is somewhat slower than the Ben which is fine for freight only but not really a good swap for the Viking.

Takes over for 2 weeks and she is called Triumph but she's smaller at 123m x 19m x 4.9m compared to the Ben at

125m x 24m x 5.3m. I would take an educated guess that she is somewhat slower than the Ben which is fine for freight only but not really a good swap for the Viking.

Reliable though.

I'll swear I heard to captain on the radio from the viking, calling Douglas saying he was coming back due to rudder, or maybe even radar problems.

.. and could he have a technical team, and rope team on the quay when he gets back in.

It would be nice to be able to blame the wx, if the darn thing breaks so soon into service, dont you think?

Besides - its been far too reliable this year.

have you seen how that
on the back of Triumph works ?

Yeh those are fantastic I remember when whey came onto the rigs in the Scott field we all had to go on a course for them and the rigs launch them from a lot higher up, better than any ride at Blackpool. :weee:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GejCySnOPfI&...feature=related

Did the SSC2/Viking sail this morning? Someone must be in the know!

Yes, she not only went, but came back again after visiting Liverpool, even though there were gales forecast, and the swell at Douglas Harbour entrance (i.e. not out at sea) when she came back was 2 metres (heard from Douglas Harbour Control).

Has anyone been on it over the last couple of days and not thrown up, I wonder?

Triumph will get us our daily toilet rolls and newspapers while Ben is away, but she is not as "fast", so the papers may well be late every morning, unless she leaves Heysham early. She doesn't seem too good at turning, either - needed a tug in Douglas this morning - she can be seen on Ben's berth at the moment, on the webcam.

I'll swear I heard to captain on the radio from the viking, calling Douglas saying he was coming back due to rudder, or maybe even radar problems.

.. and could he have a technical team, and rope team on the quay when he gets back in.

Probably needed people to sort out the damaged cars.

Quote from IOM Today "Mike Doyle, who is Team Isle of Man's national cycling coach, was on board with the squad going to a race in Wales this weekend.

He said the Viking set out and hit rough seas causing bottles and other items to fly off tables in the passenger lounge.

The vessel turned back around 20 minutes after setting sail, he said.

Mr Doyle added that he had been told that some vehicles had moved and that passengers had been told that the vessel was turning back because of concerns about safety."

"And now the Shipping Forecast issued by the Met Office, on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, at 1130 on Saturday 29 March 2008.

Lundy Fastnet Irish Sea:

South or southwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9, decreasing 5 for a time. Very rough or high, but rough or very rough in irish sea. Rain or squally showers. Moderate or good, occasionally poor."

I can read that - can't they?

From the website - but Ben is not booked to sail tonight!

"Due to adverse weather conditions the 15.00 sailing to Liverpool is cancelled, passengers transfered to the Ben My Chree sailing to Heysham, coach transfers to Liverpool, Check in at 5pm, checkin closes at 6pm

19.00 sailing from liverpool cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, passengers transfered to Ben My Chree sailing, coach transfers departs Liverpool at 21.30pm"

Archived