Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Thoughts

Halfbaked

Aye, I saw something about that today on a program this morning.

Some Sony or Polyphony chap was saying it had been tricky to sort out because manufacturers didn't want people having reproductions of their efforts bashed up on screen but they'd pretty much all been talked round now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus i didnt realise there was an F1 car to unlock in prologue!

I never got round to completing S class on the jap version.. dohhhh

It wasn't in the Jap version, it's an extra in the PAL version. It's Kimi Raikkononen's red ferrari he drove last year and you unlock it if you get 2 million credits - if you can't be bothered do races over and over gain to rack up credits there are loads of save files kicking around on the net you can download and install.

gt1nl8.jpg

gt2be3.jpg

gt3ec7.jpg

Ace - after leaving the download running all of yesterday and it not having finished when I went to bed last night I got up this morning thinking, "Great, a thrash on GT5 might be a nice start to the day", only to find that immediately after installing it, the game needs an update downloading. FFS!

What a load of saggy tits.

keep an eye on it as well cus mine failed at like 90% the first time!! arghgh

when i went into the game and went to gttv it asked to do the update so did it from there and it worked.

ps. yeah not sure i cant be arsed saving up 2 million credits but i think ill complete the game meself then download that f1 car.

Ace - after leaving the download running all of yesterday and it not having finished when I went to bed last night I got up this morning thinking, "Great, a thrash on GT5 might be a nice start to the day", only to find that immediately after installing it, the game needs an update downloading. FFS!

What a load of saggy tits.

I did say in the first post! It applied to the disc version too. Oh and you can jump straight into the game without the update - you will be asked again if you want to use any of the online features.

Did you? Soz - missed that somehow.

Yeah, I know it wasn't compulsary but it did say your save data might not be kept so I figured not doing it immediately would only be a precursor to increased tetchiness later on.

Have played it now.

It's pretty but nothing really wow so far I must admit.

Agreed. Mind you the GT series was never wow (just the graphics) and I don't know how you make racing around a track anymore wow factor, except maybe the damage model which hopefully they'll get. I must say though, now I'm up into the 550bhp range of cars it's getting really challenging. You do have to play around with the settings a bit, especially the American Muscle cars which are almost impossible without traction control. Also you have to switch to professional mode to get the golds on the A license. Oh and winning is all in the slipstreaming on GT5, when you lose that wind buffeting sound behind a car it slings you through to get those Gold times.

Granted the first few rounds driving a flipping Cappaccino at 95mph are shit, but that has always been the way with the GT series, starting off with crap cars.

I read a review recently and the guy summed it up well "It didn't have the same buzz for him, but then he wasn't a young student anymore who sat up all night til the morning drinking beer with his mates trying to unlock all the cars." True I don't have the time to game as much as I used to. I seem to remember on GT4 there was a 24 hour race and things like 100 laps of the Nuremberg Ring. I'm just not gonna do that anymore...

GT just needs to move on. I've bought every one, from the ps1 to the ps2 and even the last one felt more like hard work than fun but I've just not got the desire to try this one. Stuff like Forza and PGR have moved the genre along, but GT just seems stuck, no damage, same old shit with a super snazzy reply mode but fairly average racing graphics and the old series staple of utterly thick AI.

Still no game to justify the ps3, if you've already got a 360, and there's not much on the horizon either. Lots of good multiformat games though if you've not got a 360.

I dont understand what the big fuss is about damage anyway? ok, it would look better if your car smashed up if you crashed...but what value does this really add to the game itself?

And if there was damage, then it would, especially online, need to be cosmetic only...I have Forza and no one ever plays with full damage on as it just completely ruins the game.

You say Forza/PGR have moved genre on...how? On the face of it Forza is pretty much the MS version of GT (theyre practically the same game)...and as for PGR, I dont know how you can compare this - other than the nice graphics, its not even in the same league as GT/Forza.

I dont understand what the big fuss is about damage anyway? ok, it would look better if your car smashed up if you crashed...but what value does this really add to the game itself?

It completely changes the game. It stops you charging down the first straight and then using the car in front as a brake to get round the corner, because if you stuff your car up, it's buggered and you can't carry on.

And if there was damage, then it would, especially online, need to be cosmetic only...I have Forza and no one ever plays with full damage on as it just completely ruins the game.

Rubbish, its ruined without damage.

You say Forza/PGR have moved genre on...how? On the face of it Forza is pretty much the MS version of GT (theyre practically the same game)...and as for PGR, I dont know how you can compare this - other than the nice graphics, its not even in the same league as GT/Forza.

Because they're bringing new stuff to the genre. With forza its superb online stuff and a great damage model, PGR has it's unique kudos system and great online modes like cat n mouse. New stuff, not the same old license tests with updated graphics. GT Prologue hasn't even got voice comms, it's just backward.

It completely changes the game. It stops you charging down the first straight and then using the car in front as a brake to get round the corner, because if you stuff your car up, it's buggered and you can't carry on.

To be fair you just can't do that anymore in GT with any success in the 'A' and 'S' Classes - the car loses control or you get a 4 sec time penalty.

Rubbish, its ruined without damage.

Your opinion Slim isn't always gospel, a lot of people hate the damage model as one small shunt and your stuffed for the rest of a race, with a car pulling left all the time.

Perhaps you can get your mate, ai.Droid to back you up - or is he on holiday at the same time as you? ;)

Archived