Fuel Price Up Again

gazza

On the petrol front - in Ireland we have cheaper fuel costs but get absolutely slaughtered on annual registration fees - my 2,799 cc car costs the equivalent of £950 pa to tax. I worked out that compared with the UK (not the island) if I do 15,000 km per annum it would in total cost the same in Ireland as in the UK despite the horrendous UK petrol prices.

Maybe the long term ecologically correct way to go would be to abolish registration fees altogether (saving money in admin) and collect all charges through the tax on fuel? That way what you pay is directly linked to mileage and to fuel consumption/engine size.

Maybe the long term ecologically correct way would be for you to buy a smaller car?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sods law. I had a small car for 4 years. Then bought a larger car nearly 2 years ago, just in time to see the fuel prices go up! DOH! <_<

Get yourself a scooter to subsidise the car. I run around on a 125cc 4 stroke Honda and it does 70mph on the flat and 80mpg.

No parking problems, you can just cut through any traffic queues with ease and cheap as chips to run.

Does anyone know the specifics of our VAT? I know that we are a kinda side member to the UK, that means we are affiliated with the EU right? Not officially in it but we are affiliated with it. We are protected by the UK incase of an invasion (can't really imagine that happening, apart from that darn king awhile back, we i'm sure us manxuns could of easily dealt with if he set a foot upon our holy land...)

I realize that our vat deal is something that was decided many years ago, but can anyone tell me what benefits we have. (note - i'm comparing us again the other place, Isle of wight? Jersey? Guernsey? The one with no VAT because of their deal with the UK treasury...i've had a wee drink...now with the new UK tax's added onto it, woohoo...)

Yer so is their any benefit of us giving out hard earned cash to the UK via VAT? Could we reclaim those few pennies spent on "transportation" and have cheaper fuel?

Yer so is their any benefit of us giving out hard earned cash to the UK via VAT? Could we reclaim those few pennies spent on "transportation" and have cheaper fuel?

i claim mine back any way, :cool: which helps a bit

but i would say your liveing in dream world, would never happin

well that all depends what side u listern to, if we at peak oil or not yet, some say we are some say we arent,

all depends who u beleave,

there is room in the systerm for increase in production, but opec limit the amount of oil that can be produced

Shell, the 2nd largest supplier of oil in the world, say that it's peaking. Aren't they a pretty good source? If you think oil isn't running out, you've got your head in the sand.

well that all depends what side u listern to, if we at peak oil or not yet, some say we are some say we arent,

there is room in the systerm for increase in production, but opec limit the amount of oil that can be produced

Shell, the 2nd largest supplier of oil in the world, say that it's peaking. Aren't they a pretty good source? If you think oil isn't running out, you've got your head in the sand.

If you remeber a few years ago the CEO of Shell got a knighthood for his services to oil exploraion and then was sacked for fiddling the oil reseves figures (on a big pension of course). maybe they are not the best source for reliable information - unless they have piked up their game a lot.

It would really help if we could re-establish oil supplies from Iraq - apparently they have 2nd biggest reseves in world - come on George Bush get moving!!!

thay also said that peak oil was in 2000, but changed that 2 2010, so no dowt it prob change again,

yes its running out, but depending on how fast all depends who u listern to,

as the fuel price gos up, the harder more expensive oil will be more viable to reach,

like the the canada oil sands

A lot of the latest price increase is based on speculation, investors buying oil and gold as hedge fund against inflation and the weakening USD. Along growing demand in Asia, where middle class is growing fast and replacing bikes with cars. It's not that oil is running out (yet) it's the cheap + easy to get to oil that's hard to find now. Supply - Demand gap is very tight now opec don't have much extra capacity. Big problem comes here when the sterling sinks against the dollar, which it is expected to do as interest rates come down later this year, as oil is priced in dollars and not likely to below $80bl again.

thay also said that peak oil was in 2000, but changed that 2 2010, so no dowt it prob change again,

yes its running out, but depending on how fast all depends who u listern to,

as the fuel price gos up, the harder more expensive oil will be more viable to reach,

like the the canada oil sands

Which shows how tricky reserves are to estimate, which can indeed work both ways. Given the effect on the plc value, companies are unlikely to under-estimate reserves. There's also issues around non western reserve calculations, such as the Saudi fields, which are pretty much a black hole.

Either way, it's running out. New finds are rare, and even then it can take 15 years from discovery to pumping oil. It's running out, no argument. Yes, there is more expensive oil to find, but at that price, it wont be pissed away on a trip to the shop for your sunday paper.

to be honest though, i would say by the time the oil is getting to a point where its running low that thay have to start to ration it,

that there will be diffrent fuels in use, so oil wont really be a problem,

to be honest though, i would say by the time the oil is getting to a point where its running low that thay have to start to ration it,

Which particular alternatives do you have in mind?

well theres hydroen fuel, yes its got to be sorted out and refined,

theres all the bio oils thats being used at the moment, which will only increase,

and im sure some bright spark will invent something,

not as if the oil is going to be gone in the next 5-10 years and thats a long time in scientific world

well theres hydroen fuel, yes its got to be sorted out and refined,

theres all the bio oils thats being used at the moment, which will only increase,

and im sure some bright spark will invent something,

not as if the oil is going to be gone in the next 5-10 years and thats a long time in scientific world

Where do you start?

Who's 'they' to ration it? The commercial owners of the sites, the oil companies?

The only current alternative to fossil fuels right now is nuclear, and to run transportation off nuclear you need batteries, and to make batteries you need fossil fuels. The oil might not be all gone in 5-10 years, but if we've passed peak than it'll get very expensive very quick. We've seen the effects of even slight rises. Large rises will be far worse.

You need to remember that oil isn't just about transportation, it's about electricity, heating, plastics, medicals, food, it's quite alarming just how dependant we are on this finite resource.

Archived