Fuel Price Up Again

gazza

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£60 to fill the car up today :angry:

Diesel is now £1.20 per litre (or £1.19.9p if you're being pedantic).

Still, motoring still clearly isn't that expensive, as the endless line of traffic with one person per car along the prom pays testament to.

I filled up twice today, £50.01 in mine and £45.00 in my wife's car (it was on the 1/4 mark). It's getting seriously expensive now. :o

I filled up twice today, £50.01 in mine and £45.00 in my wife's car (it was on the 1/4 mark). It's getting seriously expensive now. :o

There must be some countries we can invade and take over to sort this stuff out.

I recommend, for starters, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and let's do Iraq properly as well.

War is clearly the answer, we gave peace a chance, and it left us with diesel at £1.20 per litre - that's not what Lennon wanted, and if he were still alive, the song would go:

All we are saying, is give bombs a chance.

The Total/Shell monopoly of course. Although why shell are usually the penny more is down to greed I guess.

If only a boycott could be organised...

Firstly, you can't have a monopoly if there is more than one company. If more than one agent were working in conjunction to fix prices (which is illegal) then that is a cartel.

However, since the majority of the Island's forecourts are in fact privately owned and are only Shell/Total branded, that is not the case. Furthermore, the price of motor fuel is not unreasonable, just high.

The Total/Shell monopoly of course. Although why shell are usually the penny more is down to greed I guess.

However, since the majority of the Island's forecourts are in fact privately owned and are only Shell/Total branded, that is not the case.

so who do u think sets the price to the forecourts, which in turns sets the price at the pump,

all i know is that, on avarage fuel is 5ppl dearer in the island then england, and it dont cost 5ppl to bring it in,

like i said b4 i could ship it in (on the steam racket), and sell it for 4ppl cheaper than the big 2, and still make a profit on it,

so work that one out, and that is only thousands of liters at a time not hundereds of thousands which is cheaper again,

so who do u think sets the price to the forecourts, which in turns sets the price at the pump,

all i know is that, on avarage fuel is 5ppl dearer in the island then england, and it dont cost 5ppl to bring it in,

like i said b4 i could ship it in (on the steam racket), and sell it for 4ppl cheaper than the big 2, and still make a profit on it,

so work that one out, and that is only thousands of liters at a time not hundereds of thousands which is cheaper again,

It's a free market. If you can bring it in cheaper, do so.

However, since the majority of the Island's forecourts are in fact privately owned and are only Shell/Total branded, that is not the case.

so work that one out, and that is only thousands of litres at a time not hundereds of thousands which is cheaper again,

Yes gazza im sure you could bring in a road tanker full of fuel for cheaper and sell it for less than the forecourts but, will you be storing your cheap fuel at licensed site with full fire certificate, under ground interceptors in case of leaks insurance for such a site etc etc. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. The fact of the matter is there is more profit in selling breakfast baps from the forecourts than petrol.

I had an interview at a petrol station once and the manager said that the forecourt makes no money and it's the shop that earns a profit. I asked why he didn't just shut the forecourt then and save money in staff wages. He looked horrified and said the customers wouldn't need to come then.

Needless to say I didn't get the job, reason stated was I "didn't have the relevant retail experience" make of that what you will.

Local prices in the UK and IOM for franchise forecourts (Shell/Total etc) are set by the oil companies and are set based on transport costs to some degree, but the biggest factor is local competition. In areas of the UK where there are supermarkets selling cheap fuel, the Shell garage a mile down the road can be as much as 5p cheaper than a Shell garage in a small town where the nearest supermarket selling cheap fuel may be 20 miles away.

There isn't a price fixing monopoly on the Island for fuel. Most of the time Total are competing hard with Shell by selling their fuel a penny cheaper. There is even competiton between garages of the same brand. The Brown Bobby last time I filled up was cheaper than The Milestone and they gave me a free carwash to lure me in. This is not the behaviour of a monopoly.

Archived