Pag Meeting -energy Island-island Energy

Charles Flynn

PAG Public Meeting - Monday 31st March 2008

“ ENERGY ISLAND – ISLAND ENERGY ”

Isle of Man’s dependency on fossil fuel will be put under the spotlight on Monday 31st March 2008 in a presentation to be given to Positive Action Group (PAG) by former DoLGe Minister, John Rimington.

Almost all our Island’s energy requirement is generated from Oil or Gas. This could leave us extremely vulnerable to any break in the supply of either fuel.

Mr. Rimington has analysed our future energy requirements together with a study of the possible downturn in oil production through depletion of reserves in the near future – the ‘peak oil’ factor.

Importing our energy makes IoM far more vulnerable to international price fluctuations and to unforeseen events in other parts of the world, over which we have no control.

Chair of Positive Action Group, Roger Tomlinson, said:

“If we continue to ignore our vulnerability to this fossil fuel folly, we endanger our future. Mr. Rimington will provide a much needed reality check for us all.

I heard his presentation at the recent Energy Expo. PAG agreed with me that his powerful message should be heard more widely. All members of the public who are interested in learning how to harness use of the Island’s Renewable Energy is welcome to attend the PAG Energy Presentation.

So far our government has done very little to reassure us that it is considering an alternative and diversified energy strategy in order to protect us from reliance on imported or fossil fuels.

This Island has vast natural resources – Tidal, Wave, Wind, Wood and Biomass Fuels that should be harnessed. In the presentation comparison will be made with another smaller Island community that now manages entirely on self-generated renewable energy. It has acquired the name “Energy Island”.

For IoM not to use its own natural resources like Wind for the benefit of the Manx people, is like Venezuela not bothering to extract its country’s Oil resources.

Its time for Manx politicians to move this subject to the top of its Agenda for Change”

The PAG Meeting starts at 7.30 p.m. at the Claremont Hotel, Douglas on Monday 31st March 2008

Admission is free and all are welcome

ENDS

Media contact: W Roger Tomlinson

www.positiveactiongroup.org

Tel: 863106

For IoM not to use its own natural resources like Wind for the benefit of the Manx people, is like Venezuela not bothering to extract its country’s Oil resources.

Of course it is. Oh, except for the small matter of there not being a huge global export market for wind energy.

What is this other island? Google only picks up a conceptual generation technology.

I've always thought that Gt Laxey mine could be re-used as a nuclear waste respository - deep enough + in very old stable rock which is impervious - the Island's need of about 150MW makes a nuclear plant uneconomic (personally I'd love to see the UK adopt the French system with cheap electricity base load generation from nuclear)

What is this other island? Google only picks up a conceptual generation technology.

Possibly Eigg - pop 87, which is self-sufficient now whereas before there was no mains electricity.

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/news/article/...lectricity.html

No.I think it might be that Danish island Samso where they have got lots of wind turbines and chp units.

I've always thought that Gt Laxey mine could be re-used as a nuclear waste respository - deep enough + in very old stable rock which is impervious - the Island's need of about 150MW makes a nuclear plant uneconomic

Who knows, with China set to be mass producing 200MW nuclear reactors, these will probably become quite affordable - certainly a lot less than the current US$300MM price tag. With cost of oil and gas always going up, it might start to look very attractive (and could sell 40MW to the UK). If that's too big, there are the South African 165-110MW PBMRs, or anything down to 10MW or even less. With latest generation reactors I wouldn't be too sure a nuclear plant would be uneconomic for IoM's requirement.

BTW 150MW sounds pretty big - is the need really that high now?

Is it though? Wind power scales poorly, and Mann's population is 19 times that of Samso. Furthermore, whereas the Island has a financial services sector with data centres etc etc, Samso has an agricultural/tourist economy, so their energy demands will be smaller across the board.

Probably the best thing would be to just go to the meeting.

there was an excellent (tho possibly too technical for lay person ?) in vol3 issue #4 (8march 2008) of IET's house journal Engineering + Technology pointing out that wind power only really works if there are other quickly powerable sources of power (usually gas or diesel generators which then work at low efficiency due to power cycling) - it might be possible to emulate Denmark which uses the maximum wind power but relies on the ability to import/export power to its neighbours to either dump surplus or allow for non-wind days. This system cannot easily scale to larger countries.

I've always thought that Gt Laxey mine could be re-used as a nuclear waste respository - deep enough + in very old stable rock which is impervious - the Island's need of about 150MW makes a nuclear plant uneconomic (personally I'd love to see the UK adopt the French system with cheap electricity base load generation from nuclear)

Impervious my arse, it fills with water!

Impervious my arse, it fills with water!

true the mine shaft does (the main function of the Laxey wheel was to drain this water - after all if you open a pit it rains in) but apart from the volcanic vents along which the quartz + lead etc cyrstallised the Manx Slate is impervious - I presume any dug out gallery would be sealed.

Archived