Smokewatch

Mutley

How about a ban on smoking threads? You could stand outside this forum and discuss it there.

The mods will have to erect some kind of smoking thread shelter before people are prepared to do that

I dunno, the shelter outside the airport has been blocked off with tape so you can't even smoke outside now.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a huge smoker so the ban in pubs is neither here nor there to me - I do however smoke at work...did I mean...sometimes I do overtime on a Saturday, when I will be the only person in the building (which is locked) and also Im the 'no smoking officer' which means if I light a cigarette I will have to firstly ask myself to put it out, then if I do not, I will have to threaten myself with legal action, and then phone the police (or a by-law officer) to come and take myself away...that is ofc presuming the little men in white coats havent got to me first.

I was going to give up smoking but I have decided not to let the bullies win.

I'm worried about alcohol addiction. I hardly ever went out to the pub cause I couldn't stand the ciggy smoke, last night I wandered round town merrily soaking in the smoke free atmosphere of a few public houses and consuming more booze in a pub than I'd done in at least 6 months. Going to the pub is now attractive and my alcohol consumption is therefore likely to rise considerably - should they ban this in public places also!!!

They should only ban it when drinkers start forcing Stella Artois, Magners, etc. between the lips of teetotallers who just happen to be in the same room as them.

As an ex-drinker and ex-smoker passive drinking is more of a pain than passive smoking. Smokers don't begin the evening as charming, articulate company and end up slurring incoherent nonesense. Going home smelling of smoke is better than going home smelling of the booze they've spilt on you and at concerts smokers don't attempt to push their way through the crowd carrying four filled to the brim glasses.

at concerts smokers don't attempt to push their way through the crowd carrying four filled to the brim glasses.

Who says they aren't smokers as well?

And also smokers used to regularly push past at gigs with a lit ciggy in their hand, I still have a cigarette burn scar on my upper arm where some ignorant tosser decided to push through the crowd cigarette hand first and burnt through my t-shirt. At least alcohol comes out (unless it's that horrible blue wkd but they've got to be retarded to spill that on you!)

at concerts smokers don't attempt to push their way through the crowd carrying four filled to the brim glasses.

Who says they aren't smokers as well?

Well yes they could be, but the problem is not in their smoking it is the alcohol spilling everywhere.

And I bet the person who burnt you was drunk!

How about a ban on smoking threads? You could stand outside this forum and discuss it there.

The mods will have to erect some kind of smoking thread shelter before people are prepared to do that

They have.

Think it's called the Subscriber's forum.

Went to the Market for a pint today - just to support the type of pub which would be a loss if it closed - it's very cosy when more than a dozen gather together.

The usual suspects were in, mostly grumpy, not the most handsome gathering, as is the norm, but they were not smoking.

And contrary to naysayers, there were over a dozen there, on a quiet afternoon, making it very cosy. And most of them were smokers.

So it seems the ban is not having much effect - the pint was good, the grumpy with interesting faces were resigned but friendly, and there was no smoke.

It's going to be OK.

But, what is the betting the Brewery use the smoking ban to justify closing places like the Market?.

Edit to Add: Support Your Local Dive

the smoking shelter outside the airport breaks the law

How so?

I'm not familiar with the smoking shelter outside the airport, having no need of it. Or the airport actually. But smoking shelters have to be open on at least 3 sides, has the one at the airport got more closed sides?

So Bridson Street Bus Stop in Port Erin is smoke free? Then why are the ashtrays / litterbin inside?

Archived