[BBC News] Mountain road closed for repairs

Newsbot

The Manx mountain road is closed during the day for the next two weeks while maintenance work is carried out.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7322361.stm

it would a help if DOT signed closures and diversions properly.

They seem to assume that all motorists are local and will know that a Mountain Road Closed sign means you must go back to Onchan and go along the Coast Road.

Today I saw a motorist heading off up the mountain near the Cat With No Tail only to be faced with a Mountain Road Closed sign but no indication where he should go.

And saying Governor's Bridge Closed doesn't really help people negotiate an alternative route to Onchan from Douglas.

We need more information please!

I thought that my road tax paid for the upkeep of the roads. This seems fair enough but last year I saw a DOT worker painting the kerbstones black and white on the S100 course. This marking is purely for motorcycling purposes and nothing else. I don't think it is right if our taxes pay for this. The money should come from the riders etc who want to take part in these events. (Maybe it does? - I don't know.)

Plus - how can the DOT justify not having cats eyes in the middle of the road on the Mountain? It looks like they can't have them on the TT course because of the bikes and so OUR safety may be compromised for the rest of the year.

They've just managed to squeeze this into the 07/08 financial year. That means there'll be more money for next year! And more road works! Hooray!

I think it works the other way round

The cost of these repairs will be included in this years budget so that next year they can claim to have overspent

Then ask for even more money for even more repairs

I'm incensed by the lack of decent side markings over the mountain. We have a road that goes over a mountain, at altitude, in the pitch darkness and is often foggy. Result? complete lack of markings on some sections, the veranda particularly. What idiot thought that one up[?

it is not operated as a public road - it is maintained at public expense as a racetrack over which the public are allowed some access at other times (DOT, low flying clouds etc permitting)- the comment re cats eyes etc is just one example of the price general road users have to pay to maintain the annual body count.

it is not operated as a public road - it is maintained at public expense as a racetrack over which the public are allowed some access at other times (DOT, low flying clouds etc permitting)- the comment re cats eyes etc is just one example of the price general road users have to pay to maintain the annual body count.

Those red light things at the side of the road work fine. Many a time I've been up there in the dark and fog. Not nice, but the red lights were very helpful.

They've just managed to squeeze this into the 07/08 financial year. That means there'll be more money for next year! And more road works! Hooray!

I think it works the other way round

The cost of these repairs will be included in this years budget so that next year they can claim to have overspent

Then ask for even more money for even more repairs

They certainly can't leave any cash unspent on 31 March. Not unless they want a cut in next year's budget.

I thought that my road tax paid for the upkeep of the roads. This seems fair enough but last year I saw a DOT worker paint.

You'd be amazed how much road tax money goes to maintaining the TT Course. Outside of the TT Course the roads are really shite - I mean the minute you turn off the TT Course at Quarterbridge into Peel Road you could lose a wheel as the road surface is that f**king bad all the way into Douglas. The prom is shite, the New Castletown Road is shite. In fact everwhere that is not used for the TT or Southern Hundred is absolutely shite.

You'd be amazed how much road tax money goes to maintaining the TT Course. Outside of the TT Course the roads are really shite - I mean the minute you turn off the TT Course at Quarterbridge into Peel Road you could lose a wheel as the road surface is that f**king bad all the way into Douglas. The prom is shite, the New Castletown Road is shite. In fact everwhere that is not used for the TT or Southern Hundred is absolutely shite.

I believe the true amount is regarded as a state secret - I have never seen any breakdown but I believe those thirty odd miles absorb well over half the road budget - guess they measure allowed expenditure on deaths/100 metres.

I have never seen any breakdown but I believe those thirty odd miles absorb well over half the road budget

That would not surprise me in the least. If it ain't a roundabout or the TT Course they're just not interested.

Archived