[BBC News] Islanders to tour new Manx jail

Newsbot

Thousands of people jump at the chance to take an inside peek at the Isle of Man's new prison in Jurby.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7322529.stm

Can someone tell me what the attraction is that makes 2,400 people want to go around an empty prison? Is there that little to do on this Island that prison visiting has beaten a day out at the wild life park?

They're nosey? And want to see it so they can tell all their friends "blah blah blah, I've seen it so I know." Which will then turn in to gospel...next thing you know, someone will be posting on the forums that there's a jacuzzi and an under ground heated pool (because their Mum got told about it at bingo by Sue from across the road, whose son went to the open day, so it's as good as first hand) and asking if we think it's right given the new pool in Ramsey doesn't even a slide.

Thousands of people jump at the chance to take an inside peek at the Isle of Man's new prison in Jurby.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7322529.stm

Can someone tell me what the attraction is that makes 2,400 people want to go around an empty prison? Is there that little to do on this Island that prison visiting has beaten a day out at the wild life park?

Only the Manx can make a day trip to see a new prison to be the hottest show in town (to quote the Home Affairs Minister Martin Quayle).

Anyone else in the civilised world reading this 'non story' would just piss themselves laughing.

In fact, I've sent it to friends across to show how backward this Island really is.

With a bit of luck it's the only chance most of us will get to see it from the inside. I haven't applied but I don't see what's so terrible about doing so.

I don't suppose anyone sees anything terrible in going for a visit.

It's just the fact that the switchboard was jammed for over 12 hours and thousands of people jump at the chance to make a day trip to Jurby to have a look that is baffling to anyone with an ounce of sense.

This really is as exciting as it must get for a lot of people.

Sad really...just imagine how many of them would probably sign up for watching an execution. So many people obviously have nothing to do and all day to do it.

Though let's hope some of them start asking some awkward questions when they are there - like what about progress on all the issues identified by the last prison inspection report:

• HP45 A bullying analysis should be undertaken and the results used to develop a bullying strategy. All staff should be trained in how to deal with incidents.
  • HP46 The safer custody committee should develop and oversee a strategy to help reduce the risk of self-harm and to provide the necessary support and services to those prisoners who threaten or attempt to self-harm.
  • HP47 The arrangements for the delivery of healthcare to become the responsibility of the Isle of Man Health Service should be expedited.
  • HP48 A health needs assessment of prisoners should be carried out and a health delivery plan devised to ensure that the correct services, including out-of-hours cover, are in place to meet the needs of the population.
  • HP49 There should be sufficient purposeful activity for all prisoners, with the opportunity to gain educational and skills qualifications.
  • HP50 Juveniles under 18 should not be held in the Isle of Man prison.
  • HP51 Women should be held in separately-managed accommodation, with facilities and procedures that are specific to their needs.
  • HP52 The Department of Home Affairs, with other relevant bodies, should consider developing a comprehensive multi-agency strategy for reducing reoffending and providing end-to-end management of offenders during and after imprisonment.
  • HP53 The prison should develop and implement a resettlement strategy, based upon the assessed needs of its different populations.

• 4 weeks later...

And now those who have been thrilled by a tour of the new one can look forward to tours of the old one. This year just gets better and better.

Archived