Future Of The T T Races Under Threat

%age

In the wake of the Coroner's Report on the deaths at last year's TT races there is concern regarding the future of the TT Races.

IoMToday

Manx Radio marshal recruitment concerns.

I believe that the Coroner's Report will provide a scapegoat excuse for any future problems of the Isle of Man TT Races, however I would suggest that the Department of Tourism and Leisure, in looking for any failings, should not discount looking a little nearer to home.

Things will settle down, procedures/methods/accountability will be improved, and the TT will continue.

I for one would be happy to marshal, and if marshals are in short supply this year I will be happy to put my name forward instead of spending TT where I usually spend it - as would many others I suspect.

if marshals are in short supply this year I will be happy to put my name forward instead of spending TT where I usually spend it - as would many others I suspect.

I think your grounds to suspect that others would join you are possibly thin as these people did not come forward to cover the Manx Geand Prix Senior Race or morning practice sessions for the TT hence they were stopped in the last major reorganisation.

The hope to get the required number of Marshalls rests with the visitors to the TT. The majority of locals, especially youngsters, no longer take their annual holidays in the IoM using their annual entitlement to cover the TT & MGP as might have been the case 50 years ago. We now go off to Sapin etc.

If you rely on visitors then is there a problem with numbers & consistency especially at the shoulders of the two weeks as the maority are only on the IoM for part of the week. There is also the question of wether they have had the appropriate training. I appreciate that there are courses across but many only sign up when they arrive following appeals. As I understand it they then watch a video and sign a declaration and they are a qualified marshall. I appreciate that they may be placed with experienced marshalls but I would have thought more training is required than that to qualify as a marshall especially in light of recent events.

As I understand it they then watch a video and sign a declaration and they are a qualified marshall. I appreciate that they may be placed with experienced marshalls but I would have thought more training is required than that to qualify as a marshall especially in light of recent events.

I expect the call for volunteers will go out much earlier this year, with training provided over several evenings (or weekend dates) prior to TT, whilst adopting the recommendations made - at the very least. Personally, via various websites/MCN I think it might be a good idea for them to start to offer weekend training for TT marshals in the UK (i.e. Birmingham, Manchester, London etc.) so that visiting marshals can be recruited and trained NOW - and dare I suggest given discount payments on their travel costs - perhaps sponsored by the SP?

I understand your points though, but I wouldn't underestimate the possible response if the sh1t hits the fan, and if it is handled correctly. That's for the TT...the longevity of the MGP wrt marshals is another question, though advertising/recruiting/training more visiting marshals in the UK may also be a solution. Practice especially needs to be tailored to meet the committments of working marshals - and getting rid of early morning practices is a good idea in that respect. People should also remember that marshalling can be done on a part-time/availability basis - and you don't have to necessarily take off two weeks.

I think it might be a good idea for them to start to offer weekend training for TT marshals in the UK (i.e. Birmingham, Manchester, London etc.) so that visiting marshals can be recruited and trained NOW

IMC courses are already being run in the UK.

ie Gloucester, Edinburgh, Birkenhead, Bedford.

I think it might be a good idea for them to start to offer weekend training for TT marshals in the UK (i.e. Birmingham, Manchester, London etc.) so that visiting marshals can be recruited and trained NOW

IMC courses are already being run in the UK.

ie Gloucester, Edinburgh, Birkenhead, Bedford.

I had hoped so - that's a good start - though I think there is room for a few more courses and more advertising by the look of it.

Just found this (Marshalling newsletter).

Archived