Do Mhks Read This Board?

manshimajin

As a new member may I start by thanking everyone who posts here. The topics you post and the comments you make are a great way of getting up to speed on Island issues.

Having read quite a few threads now I wondered if the interchange at the Forum is accessed by the MHKs and the Public Service on the Island? Equally do the Press look at the Forum for the same reasons?

One would like to think that these groups, because of their responsibilities to the public, would wish to keep up to date with the way people are thinking, and the issues that concern them. The Forum is one way of doing this (of course not the only way). In the Communication Age sites like this are a very active and direct way of tapping into public sentiment.

Does anyone know if any attention is paid to our postings beyond the Forum?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A regular poster is an mlc.

Shimmin is a member and has posted on occasion.

I expect several of the others tune in on occasion.

Unfortunately, the papers seem to read here, since many stories have begun here. Stu Peters, who is some sort of DJ posts regularly and other Manx Radio people have posted to defend their service. The Daily Mail has even taken posts from here and reported it as "one local said".

It is a shame really, it was better before all these journos and politicos (save the mlc) were here.

A regular poster is an mlc.

Shimmin is a member and has posted on occasion.

I expect several of the others tune in on occasion.

I bet R...... C......'s lawyer still reads the odd thread too!

Edited: whoops can't use that name here

Edited to add:

Civil Case postponed to November, I think.

Before all this computery stuff it could be argued that the Manx Radio phone in programme The Mannin Line, was the precursor to manxforums.com.

Mannin Line used to be Broadcast on Sundays and weekdays, except Tuesday. Tuesday being the day that the House of Keys, Legislative Council and Tynwald sit, so it wasn't broadcast then in case they missed something. People don't like 'missing something' on the Isle of Man.

I know of a few more politicians read the forums than already noted, but like in the days of The Mannin Line it doesn't always do to admit to it.

Some politicians think being an MHK is just like being on the Mannin Line except you can actually winge and get things done. Unfortunately they are not too sure yet exactly how to get things done.

It is worth noting that there were two forums before manxforums.com which were discontinued. The reason and circumstances why both those very excellent forums were pulled has been air-brushed out of the history of the Isle of Man. Which is unfortunate.

Lawyers and lawyer/henchmen/women often watch these forums......sometimes constantly depending on what's occurring.

It is worth noting that there were two forums before manxforums.com which were discontinued. The reason and circumstances why both those very excellent forums were pulled has been air-brushed out of the history of the Isle of Man. Which is unfortunate.

Also not for the reasons the vast majority of people like to believe. However, we don't talk of that here because not only can you not talk about the real reason, we dont want you talking about the wrong reason either. Thanks.

But they didn't close for the reason you think or for the same reason as each other.

But they didn't close for the reason you think or for the same reason as each other.

How do you know what I think :o

Different reasons...? there is a certain amount of common ground. A certain amount.

Ans - 5 minutes. That is good going!!

Should anyone ever accuse this forum of not being well moderated, refer to this very thread for proof to the contrary.

Civil Case postponed to November, I think.

What a strange choice of words - "postponed".

The civil case will be heard in November. It seems that GC Construction have been claiming that Julie Corkill (as an individual, apparently her husband has absolutely no knowledge of any of these goings on) has owed them £100k plus change for the last five years.

We will see.

I believe the case was to be heard in June but is now November. Perhaps there is a legalistic word for it. Postponed seemed to fit. I thought the subject was a mere sub issue of this thread so loose wording seemed appropriate.

Anyway, why wasn't Richard Corkhill called as a witness in the Bulders-Julie Criminal case? I would have thought he would have been a good person as a witness.

Edited to add

To get back on thread, what different do you think it might make if MHKs did read this thread?

If you think they can make much difference to anything then you need to learn how the Isle of Man is really run.

And other than on paper and in thewy. . . . . it ain't the politicians.

Oh no!

wasn't it darth vader's fault?

Does anyone know if any attention is paid to our postings beyond the Forum?

The Safer Island Driving Group, the latest steam packet petition, input to the electoral reform report, people putting themselves up for election, marriage (or at least several proposals ;) ), and no doubt many other things have come about because of the forum. There is bound to be more to come in the future.

MHK's don't like it up em - but that is one of the facts they have to face up to as social networking sites such as this group people together, where once they sat grumbling themselves into an early heart attack alone at home, or gibbering to a drunken mate who agreed with them in the pub.

I know several MHKs read this. I know of several other key civil servants who keep an eye on it. I've seen that first hand. Good for those that do, they at least have a chance of staying ahead of the game.

Also not for the reasons the vast majority of people like to believe. However, we don't talk of that here because not only can you not talk about the real reason, we dont want you talking about the wrong reason either. Thanks.

Which part of not talking about it didn't you understand?

I'm confused - I thought the reason for one of them was discussed in a thread on MF (with ans explaining why) - but maybe I didn't read carefully or that wasn't the real reason. Maybe the thing can't talk about is why this is air-brushed from the history of IoM - is that off limits too?

I know several MHKs read this. I know of several other key civil servants who keep an eye on it. I've seen that first hand. Good for those that do, they at least have a chance of staying ahead of the game.

What would be remarkable is MHKs and ministers actually participating and answering questions in official capacity on forums. There's no reason why not. (BTW, I think Stu Peters deserves much credit for appearing as he does, despite flack he sometimes takes :thumbsup::) ). In some recent threads Earnshaw might have made an appearance and might have been constructive and productive for all concerned - but sadly that is probably a bit too much like progressive democratic accountability for the time being.

Archived