Do Mhks Read This Board?

manshimajin

You haven't been here long enough to know how to edit posts without double-posting, but you think you can come up with a nasty little destructive idea like this. The beauty of the forum is (or at least was) that we go running to the media to "maximise publicity", because we are not (with the exception of Amadeus) self-publicising politicos.

I'm with Declan, this forum is what it is. Attempting to somehow legitimise it to make it usable as a tool to engage politicians will take away the things that makes it popular and different. This isn't manxradio online, this isn't iomonline, it's manxforums. The politicians know about it, if they want to post on here, they can, and that's all we can do. If some members of the forum want to take issues here up with politicans, they can too, and get their permission to post the response back.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m with Declan and Slim on this.

I have been a regular user of all the successive forums from the end of BeeManx on – and I use them for the humour** and to flex the writing muscles.

I would sometimes like to contribute as me, and have done a few times, to clear up misunderstandings, or to provide useful information. I certainly take notice of this forum, but I think after six years or so that I understand the underlying dynamic.

I could post everyday about the areas I work in and give you really interesting stuff about Social Services, Health, Waste, Recycling, climate change, how the MEA enquiry is going, what Public Accounts are looking at etc.

But to do so would I think be an unacceptable intrusion into our forum community, and as a forum user I would not welcome politicians pontificating on here.

I’ll talk to anyone about anything. And happily accept PM's. I’ll talk to the crows – but keep the forum for fun and entertainment.

**Last seen about October 2006 - hiding round the corner….

Asking local politicians to join in the forum would be in effect, asking them to do unpaid overtime.

Its hard enough to get them to join in Tynwald let alone expect them to miss ITV, or in the case of one member, Men & Motors

However, I joined this forum as a result of standing for election and wanting to know what was being said about me. It would be a foolish MHK who did not check the forums at least once a month.

Well obviously there are the 'fors' and 'against' requesting formal answers to formal questions on the forum. I understand why people are against and seeking to protect the 'nature of the forum' (whatever that remains or evolves to be), but equally those against need to understand the logic of people looking for answers i.e. there are lots of discussions on here, but often they become frustrating and fizzle out because of so little feedback here (or in the media) over some quite serious issues involving politicians, civil servants and others - often tantamount to them ignoring the concerns of Joe Public - and their accountability.

If the forum isn't the answer (or one answer), maybe it should be done more through the local newspapers, MR or individual letters to MHKs. Maybe people should put such questions onto the mannin line in the hope of generating a response etc. It might make for an interesting Sunday lunchtime if a few posters from here got on the phone - so perhaps we should call it 'Mannin Line Question of the Week', and get of our arses to spread some of those concerns from the forums into the media? Politicians would also get to know what what coming up, and it would make for a much more lively Mannin Line debate.

i.e. there are lots of discussions on here, but often they become frustrating and fizzle out because of so little feedback here (or in the media) over some quite serious issues involving politicians, civil servants and others - often tantamount to them ignoring the concerns of Joe Public - and their accountability.

Welcome back to Planet Earth. Although anyone who slags off Ann Robinson and then admits to watching her program is not doing their credibility any good, always assuming they had any to start with that is...

Those posting here really are a tiny minority, not even a gnats. You're far better off writing to your "representative" and then posting the result. What's to stop you? Well, nothing actually. However in my experience you're lucky to get a reply, which is an absolute disgrace in it's own right - but then you could always post that up as well. You never know, it might actually motivate them to have a little respect for those who are funding their lavish lifestyle..

For the information of any members of Tynwald who might be reading this thread.

My daughter wrote to a CEO of a Government department and copied in her constituency MHKs.

Her letter was posted on Monday evening about 5pm. By 6pm on Wednesday one of the MHKs was knocking on her door, ready to discuss the problems she had highlighted and to attempt to bring about a solution.

I'm impressed.

You're far better off writing to your "representative" and then posting the result. What's to stop you? Well, nothing actually. However in my experience you're lucky to get a reply, which is an absolute disgrace in it's own right

You can always phone them as well.

Every time I've contacted an MHK I've always had a response, either a phone call, letter or a meeting.

In the UK there are strict guidelines about times to acknowledge and/or reply to correspondence. In the Isle of Man I have found that Civil Servants and even some senior politicians themselves have a simple device when dealing with a potential problem and that is simply to ignore it.

When pushed, they have another ploy and that is to smarmily answer - often at length - a question that wasn't asked in the first place.

It would appear that our government legal advisers, usually a highly, highly paid firm of local advocates, will quite happily assist in any tricky situations, and they know all the devious tactics alright.

I would point out that indeed, there are a small handful of our MHKs who I have the utmost respect for and who deal with matters both intuitively and promptly.

In reply to Old Git.

I phoned two MHKs over a month ago and their answering machine and wife promised - promised - they would call back . . . . nought yet :(

Welcome back to Planet Earth. Although anyone who slags off Ann Robinson and then admits to watching her program is not doing their credibility any good, always assuming they had any to start with that is...

Sometimes houses have more than 1 person in them, though I suspect you may never get to know that - I happened to be on the computer at the time:

That was a question on the 'Weakest link' this evening. They're obviously getting one message across.

I can't see too many politicians actually posting to this forum. Of course many of the members do not live here, so why, would an MHK choose to get involved in a discussion between a group of all but anonymous non-voters living in disparate jurisdictions? Eg; P K (living in the UK), Skeddan (living, I assume, in N Z) and Manshimajin (living in R I, - and shouldn't that be Mantojin?). Of course, I'd hope our MHks would have a look at some of the issues that get discussed, but I can't imagine too many of them would care to join in the discussions.

Agree and disagree - beyond being anonymous and living in disparate jurisdictions there is the fact members deliberately obscure their origins - for example Skeddan says he's from New Zealand, but posts as though he's living in the same time zone as us. Wonder what his IP address is?

But beyond the posters there are a lot of lurkers on the site. The posters may be a tiny minority of the manx public, but I think the forum is reasonably widely read and I think we aren't too unrepresentative of Manx opinions.

Regular postings no - people would complain about them wasting time. But occassional contributions, or a blog - heck most UK politicos have one nowadays - I think it would enhance an MHK's image.

In reply to Old Git.

I phoned two MHKs over a month ago and their answering machine and wife promised - promised - they would call back . . . . nought yet :(

I guess they won't be getting your vote next time

Years ago I contacted Peter Karran about some upcoming legislation that would have a detrimental effect on a club I was Secretary of and he arranged for the club committee to meet with him and the attorney general in a pub to discuss the matter. I guess that could only happen in the IOM.

I've also contacted Adrian Earnshaw, my home (Onchan) MHK, about a problem I was having at work (Douglas) with one of the Coroners. Although work wasn't in his constituency he did enter into lengthy correspondence and phone calls with me.

I've no complaints, but I guess it depends on the individual MHK, the issue you're contacting them over, and maybe how you go about it.

for example Skeddan says he's from New Zealand, but posts as though he's living in the same time zone as us

I think Amadeus might be from Germany but I suspect he's living here ;)

Skeddan may be from New Zealand. but is he in New Zealand?

Skeddan may be from New Zealand. but is he in New Zealand?

Currently in UK (London)

members deliberately obscure their origins - for example Skeddan says he's from New Zealand, but posts as though he's living in the same time zone as us. Wonder what his IP address is?

Currently my IP address is 217.171.129.69 (Hutchinson Telecom 3G mobile broadband - Maidenhead)

IMO it's a bit unfair to say I've been deliberately obscure.

In fact I mentioned being in London not so long ago here:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...st&p=307902

Also I mentioned I was using 3 mobile broadband - i.e. Hutchinson Telecom' s UK 3G mobile broadband- here:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...st&p=313057

I've not set out to hide anything or to be deliberately obscure. (Has Chinahand also been 'deliberately obscure' about who and where he/she is?).

(BTW If you're wondering I was born in London, have dual NZ British nationality, am an INTP, a Capricorn, tall dark - and handsome (according to my mother), and like cornflakes for breakfast. :) )

Archived